MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

If Packers tight end Jermichael Finley did suffer a spinal cord bruise, as one report claimed, the likelihood of him returning to the field without having to undergo surgery is slim, according to a highly regarded spinal surgeon who has studied NFL neck injuries

JSOnline  wrote:

Pack93z
10 years ago
Great... now we have experts commenting on the prognosis of Finley without even seeing him, knowing his case, his details, his injury. I get the NFL sells and stories are needed... but in a case this sensitive.. you would think they would wait for the facts, not speculation.

Why this bothers me.. I don't know.. but in light that his son was upset about his concussion earlier this year and him possibly hearing this speculation on ESPN, which may or may not come to reality, just seems so unneeded. For what.. to be the first one to maybe get it right? To collect another dollar..

This isn't a football matter at the moment.. why not let his life take it course without this type of reporting?

Bleh. Bleh...... Bleh.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago
This is not looking good for his return to football. However, he has full use of his motor function, and for that I am thankful that he can carry on being a Dad to his kids, a husband to his wife, etc., and still lead a full life. He looked to be having his best year yet, and this injury is a loss to the Packers team, without question. I've been SO impressed with his blocking and his improved play. I'm just so happy he wasn't paralyzed. Good for him and his family. That life is more important, the one outside of football.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I can't help wonder if the Packers are keeping shush on this for a tactical advantage of some sort. Perhaps wishful thinking/hoping.

Edit, the tweet was Finley saying all the information out there right now IS FALSE. He's deleted the tweet.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
10 years ago

This is not looking good for his return to football. However, he has full use of his motor function, and for that I am thankful that he can carry on being a Dad to his kids, a husband to his wife, etc., and still lead a full life. He looked to be having his best year yet, and this injury is a loss to the Packers team, without question. I've been SO impressed with his blocking and his improved play. I'm just so happy he wasn't paralyzed. Good for him and his family. That life is more important, the one outside of football.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This happened to collins also - although I dont know what type of injury he ever had; I wouldnt think it was the same because it was never mentioned - but look at what happened to him; surgery then never play again.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Great... now we have experts commenting on the prognosis of Finley without even seeing him, knowing his case, his details, his injury. I get the NFL sells and stories are needed... but in a case this sensitive.. you would think they would wait for the facts, not speculation.

Why this bothers me.. I don't know.. but in light that his son was upset about his concussion earlier this year and him possibly hearing this speculation on ESPN, which may or may not come to reality, just seems so unneeded. For what.. to be the first one to maybe get it right? To collect another dollar..

This isn't a football matter at the moment.. why not let his life take it course without this type of reporting?

Bleh. Bleh...... Bleh.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Media = race of trolls.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
10 years ago

I can't help wonder if the Packers are keeping shush on this for a tactical advantage of some sort. Perhaps wishful thinking/hoping.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Really hard to say. Figure, Finley is not unlike the way Collins was at this stage right now. The players love what they do and can easily be in a bit of rightful denial about the brevity of the circumstances. Really a tough road for the players who find themselves in such a position. Football is their livelihood, and pretty much all they've known if they've made it this far.

Pack93z, I know the second hand info swirling about with regards to Finley's injury and possible prognosis is disturbing from a fan perspective, but spinal surgeons know what they are seeing in real time, and if certain criteria are present, I don't think it is too much of a stretch for them to surmise the options that lay ahead, given what they've seen.

You are absolutely right, that we don't know. But, I can appreciate the guessing from a spinal surgeon, and wouldn't discount it, for what it is. Guessing from afar, but a professional's guess at that.
steveishere
10 years ago

Bleh. Bleh...... Bleh.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Did you even read the article? The expert said he couldn't comment on Finley specifically. He was giving analysis of anybody with a bruised spinal cord.
Pack93z
10 years ago

Did you even read the article? The expert said he couldn't comment on Finley specifically. He was giving analysis of anybody with a bruised spinal cord.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yes I read the article.. maybe I should have put it in better context.. why run with a story without seeing his case, not so much the experts fault but the writer. We have heard how many different angles on the Finley story.. facts are hard to pinpoint with all the conjecture being thrown about.

My point is why run such a story without facts? You know ESPN and every other venue is going to run with the angle.

That is the point... most are going to run with the headline. "Return of Jermichael Finley unlikely without surgery"... and that is it.. just heard it on ESPN.. it is sloppy work in my opinion.

Is that better? Did you read my whole post and not catch why run with that type of reporting?

The article just seems unnecessary and premature... not to mention unfair to Finley and his family.

Again.. this is not about football at the moment.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
steveishere
10 years ago
The headline sucks but the article itself is good. I don't see any problem with having an expert lay out scenarios and facts of spinal injuries. There's nothing wrong with having that information out there and I was glad to read it.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.