MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

By paying the price of admission, it's certainly every fan's right to boo or express their displeasure as long as it's within reason. There's no debate there. But by tabbing the "Boo Birds' as a Lame Call, I dove into a debate ignited by Sunday's rare booing at Lambeau Field during the game between the [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
In the olden days the fans never booed no matter how bad the team played. From the reports of fans sitting around me that died in the mid 80's.

If a team simply is not a very good team and getting their butt handed to them by a much better team there is no need to boo. If a team is going through the motions and not playing up to their capabilities the fans have a right to boo. To give up 21 points in the 2nd quarter to one of the worst teams in the NFL. A weak team from the South, a domed team at that was inexcusable. Granted one td was a fluke interception. Nevertheless the Packers were playing lousy in the first half and the fans let them know that.

All in all GB fans still boo their team much less than other fans do.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
10 years ago
If the turnover for a TD wouldn't have been a freak play and I were in the stands, I would have been booing too. But, the Packers were moving the ball effectively and were one freak play away from going into the half down 3, or if they would have gotten into FG range or scored a TD they would have at least tied and maybe taken the lead, getting the ball in the second half. Don't agree with booing in that specific circumstance.
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
I'm one who would never boo the team. I won't even boo opposing teams or players, I personally think it lacks class. The players hear when fans cheer, they also hear when the fans are quiet. Want to make a statement, don't make any noise, not much would get their attention more than 80,000 people not cheering and not making a noise.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
pokethebear
10 years ago
Could never bring myself to boo the Packers, no matter what. I would rather make up some lame excuse to defend their actions than vocally chastise them if they were having a bad day. Then hope like hell they get it fixed.

Go Packers!
The_Green_Ninja
10 years ago
The only Packer I might boo is an Ex-Packer.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
10 years ago
I think it just shows how things have changed and how the fan base has changed. Think about this alot of the crowd now consists of people in their 20's and they don't even remember back in the 70's and 80's when we would have been happy just to beat the Bears. The new crowd is spoiled, here is something those young folks might not realize.

From 1970 to 1992 we had a total 5 winning seasons and one of those was a strike shortened season and played with scrubs. Since 1992 we have had a total of two yes two losing seasons

So lets see 22 years we have 5 winning seasons and in 20 years since we have had 2 losing seasons.

We have been spoiled and these fans don't appreciate what we actually have these years.

I will never boo them but I will realize when we lost to a better team.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

We have been spoiled and these fans don't appreciate what we actually have these years.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

You shouldn't say fans are spoiled, Dodd is not going to like that!!!

As for booing, I don't boo. I just swear up a storm and hit my leg out of frustration lol
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I think it just shows how things have changed and how the fan base has changed. Think about this alot of the crowd now consists of people in their 20's and they don't even remember back in the 70's and 80's when we would have been happy just to beat the Bears. The new crowd is spoiled, here is something those young folks might not realize.

From 1970 to 1992 we had a total 5 winning seasons and one of those was a strike shortened season and played with scrubs. Since 1992 we have had a total of two yes two losing seasons

So lets see 22 years we have 5 winning seasons and in 20 years since we have had 2 losing seasons.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

dhazer you are wrong.

I have the gold package tickets. (This was a green package game so I was not there.)

The average age of the fans is a lot closer to 45-50. Several factors.
1. 20 year olds can not afford the season tickets with the PSL fee.
2. When they are 20 daddy/grandpa still owns the tickets and he is at the game.
3. There are stubhub ticket sales fans at the games but they make up about 10-15% of the total. (My guesstimate based on the fans I see sitting around me year after year.)
4. 20 year olds would rather sit in a bar or at someone house and drink beer than pay $8-10 a bottle. (Sorry I don't know what the price is since I don't drink it.)

In the 10+ years I have been a ticket holder and even prior to that when I bought the occasional tickets I do not recall booing the team. It has happened but it is a small minority of the fans. the refs have been booed many times when they botch a call and the review as well.

As to Porforis' post- The Packers moved the ball against the Eagles too but failed to score. Simply moving the ball is not enough. I was at that game and they were not booed.

My guess is that the fans had seen enough after so many poorly played games along with the cold and watching a p!ss poor team put up 21 in 15 min.

PackFanWithTwins- Not all booing is a sign of disrespect. The booing of other players is sometimes a love/hate thing. I remember watching Cubs fans boo Pete Rose because he always seemed to get the key hit that beat them. Walter Peyton was booed many places as a sort of sign of respect. Many fans use to do the same with Favre.

We have actually had this discussion in the past. Maybe last year. Society has changed. Along with it the fans have changed. I remember my Dad wearing a suit and tie, my Mom a dress and necklace to day baseball games in the summer in St Louis. Outside of a few people in the luxury boxes you don't see that anymore.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

You shouldn't say fans are spoiled, Dodd is not going to like that!!!

As for booing, I don't boo. I just swear up a storm and hit my leg out of frustration lol

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

One should never like a cliche' fallacy.

I have no problem with fans booing if a team is playing shitty. I personally probably wouldn't do it unless it was REALLY bad, but I'm not going to act holier than thou to those that choose to. Expectations are all relative, as I've said dozens of times. This team is NOT the 70-80's Packers. It's the 2013 Packers that have a decent team and elite QB. The standards are not the same, and to think they are is completely illogical to me. Some of us don't have to experience bad things in life personally to understand their significance and meaning, which is a very good thing. The Packers should be doing everything possible to maximize the window of having the best player in the game at the most important position. Perhaps they are. If they are not, however, they are making a mistake. I see no reason why anyone should chastise another for being upset about that. It honestly seems pretentious, to me, but certainly they are free to do so. They must, however, expect responses from those defending their positions.

When all is said in done, the NFL is nothing but entertainment. I understand it's more to some, but most fans watch the games to be entertained. If the viewing experience becomes somewhat miserable for them (especially when they've paid for a $200+ per ticket plus travel and lodging, and perhaps worthless stock), more power to them if they want to boo a little. For most, it's all good-natured fun, anyway. Who cares.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (8h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (10h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (13h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (14h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.