steveishere
10 years ago

Simply delete the sarcasm, and what you say makes great sense. Why didn't they play better? Personnel - Raji, Pickett, B. Jones, Jennings .......

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Thing is there are guys on the team that have looked better than those 3 that stay on the bench but Capers still won't make any moves to take them out of the games.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Simply delete the sarcasm, and what you say makes great sense. Why didn't they play better? Personnel - Raji, Pickett, B. Jones, Jennings .......

lol, if you say so. Of course the Packers have some average to bad players. So do most defenses. But they also have several good or better players. Moreover, they show they CAN play very well, at times, but are wildly inconsistent. There are enough players available that can get the job done.

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

There is more than enough evidence against the Packers defense in recent years. I see no reason why anyone couldn't understand that. The Packers haven't done enough recently to give many people a whole lot of faith in them. I give the team all the credit in the world for beating Dallas. They deserve it. But one half of decent football doesn't change what has been a mediocre at best defense for some time now. I usually view things in the bigger picture, and one game, good or bad, doesn't change my opinion much. They deserve credit for today's win, but so does the offense. And why couldn't they have played better in the first half?

I still have little faith in the Packers defense against top tier teams, and especially QBs. Of course they could change my meaningless opinion because there are still games left, but I'm not holding my breath, and wouldn't bet on it. Overall, I just think that this Packers defense is average, at best, and has been for some time now. And I don't think that's enough to win a Super Bowl. They need to play like they played in the second half against Dallas consistently, and I'm not sure there's much evidence to support the conjecture that they will (but of course I'm hoping they will).

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

How can you write something as sensible as that, and STILL blindly defend Ted Thompson? In addition to the D, all that was good on offense was in spite of the bad O-Line play - repeated extreme rush on Flynn as well as very very few holes for Lacy to run through.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
steveishere
10 years ago

How can you write something as sensible as that, and STILL blindly defend Ted Thompson? In addition to the D, all that was good on offense was in spite of the bad O-Line play - repeated extreme rush on Flynn as well as very very few holes for Lacy to run through.

Lol both of those are completely untrue. There were a handful of plays where Lacy was hit in the backfield or pressure got to Flynn quick but in the game as a whole the blocking was excellent in both areas.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Where exactly am I explicitly "blindly" defending Ted Thompson? I don't even think I've mentioned his name. You're seeing what you want to see. Obviously Ted Thompson is part of the problem on defense. I assumed that's rhetorical. But in my opinion, I think Dom Capers is a bigger problem. Could Dom Capers be more effective with better personnel? Sure. So would most defensive coordinators. But from what I see, I think he should have been and should continue to get more out of what he currently has, just like he did during the second half of the Cowboys game. I just don't think he's been getting the most out of his players lately.
steveishere
10 years ago
Bakhtiari completely destroyed Ware in the 2nd half. That's our under 300lb 4th round rookie vs the best pass rusher of the last decade.
DakotaT
10 years ago

Thing is there are guys on the team that have looked better than those 3 that stay on the bench but Capers still won't make any moves to take them out of the games.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

We did see Boyd out there quite a bit today, but maybe that had more to do with Jolly's injury. My feelings won't be hurt if neither Raji or Pickett are not on the team next season.

We got very lucky today against a very bad defense. But why did our offense look so anemic in the first? You're playing for your playoff lives, shouldn't they have played with a heartbeat? Why does it take a motivational speech at halftime from a backup player to get the team going? They are paid professionals, and they've deserved every bit of criticism they've gotten this season.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

Where exactly am I explicitly "blindly" defending Ted Thompson? I don't even think I've mentioned his name. You're seeing what you want to see. Obviously Ted Thompson is part of the problem on defense. I assumed that's rhetorical. But in my opinion, I think Dom Capers is a bigger problem. Could Dom Capers be more effective with better personnel? Sure. So would most defensive coordinators. But from what I see, I think he should have been and should continue to get more out of what he currently has, just like he did during the second half of the Cowboys game. I just don't think he's been getting the most out of his players lately.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Get use to it if you continue to discuss anything with that man. I've taken the burden for the whole forum, but if you want to take over for me, by all means, continue. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

Bakhtiari completely destroyed Ware in the 2nd half. That's our under 300lb 4th round rookie vs the best pass rusher of the last decade.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I think Ware must have hit him in the manhood at some point, cause Bacteria was noticeably pissed, and that might have been the catalyst for Ware's demise.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I don't know what game you were watching but the Packers D played extremely well in the second half. Your at Dallas, Philly loses, they were humiliated last week, and with Romo, Murrey, Witten, 88, and Austin they can score on anybody.

Knocked down passes on 3rd down, hurries on Romo, sacks, INT's (both awesome individual efforts by the way), and 10 points.

You know it's time some around here figured out that the teams we play CAN PLAY and many have just as much to lose as we do.

Oh yeah, I'll add that the defense could have quit in the second half too but I saw anything but quit in anybody.

By the way Dodd this isn't so much directed at you but it just pisses me off to read all these comments and analysis about how Dallas lost this game and how smart people are here on this board when the simple truth of the matter is the Packers came out in the second half and took the game over in all three phases and beat their ass.

I've NEVER seen a team so backed up against the wall, in one game, and for the season, and do what this team did today.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

"Hanging tough: For all the struggles the Packers had on defense through the first three quarters of the game, it can’t be neglected that what gave them any prayer of coming back was holding the Cowboys to so many field goals.

Dallas settled for five field goals from K Dan Bailey, four of them from 45 yards and out. The biggest stand came after an interception by QB Matt Flynn gave the Cowboys the ball on the Green Bay 20-yard line late in the second quarter, but a sack by Mike Daniels forced a three-and-out.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Bad-ankle-and-all-Eddie-Lacy-toughs-it-out-goes-over-1000-yards/a6740d19-e8b9-4874-bcdf-b7b0b188de8a 

All part of a ballgame. Defense kept The packers in the game until The offense caught fire, then it was game on.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (1h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (5h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.