musccy
10 years ago

Geez musccy you are so defensive. You act like I called your daughter ugly or something. As you said this is one play. I am not complaining about the whole game on this play. But it was indicative.

3. Yes they ran the play on first down but it set the whole series up for failure. If they got 4 yards on first down the defense would have to cover the run up the middle again. That leaves the Packers with options of passing or throwing. By gaining only 1 yard they could no longer run the ball. There are no deep routes. It is all quick passes.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I feel like we'll keep talking in circles but I wanted to acknowledge the points you made in a thorough post. I get the smashmouth, and drawing LBs inside on a short field in a 2 TE set, I get there's a time and a place and all that you said. Just in a nutshell, I feel like you give Cobb a chance to get an edge quickly to beat 1-2 LBs and some dbs hopefully being blocked by a tackle or pulled guard and two WRs we still had on the left side isn't such a bad option even on a short field. There is no guarantee that Lacy would gain 9 or even 4 yards as you suggested in your 3rd point, so we very well could have still been in 2nd and goal from the 7, 8, or 9 even if we lined up Lacy from a power running formation.

Like we've acknowledged, we're wasting way too much time talking about one of 60 offensive plays, so I'll step back and remove my undies from the bundle they're currently in and find something more constructive to do - like piss and moan about something else I have no control over in another thread 🤣
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago
What hurts me is a team that was better than us gave us a chance to beat them and we failed. We really could have beat them. This is one thing I do notice about this team. We never beat a team better than us, but will sometimes find a way to lose to a team that is less talented. It pisses me off too.
musccy
10 years ago

What hurts me is a team that was better than us gave us a chance to beat them and we failed. We really could have beat them. This is one thing I do notice about this team. We never beat a team better than us, but will sometimes find a way to lose to a team that is less talented. It pisses me off too.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

How do you quantify that a team is more/less talented? The Packers found a way to beat the Cowboys and Bears. Were they clearly less talented?

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I feel like we'll keep talking in circles but I wanted to acknowledge the points you made in a thorough post.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

what else is there to on such a cold winter's day except work? I was able to avoid it for part of the day at least.

I get the smashmouth, and drawing LBs inside on a short field in a 2 TE set, I get there's a time and a place and all that you said.

You're a reasonable man. I know you already understand this. Just wasting a little time.

Just in a nutshell, I feel like you give Cobb a chance to get an edge quickly to beat 1-2 LBs and some dbs hopefully being blocked by a tackle or pulled guard and two WRs we still had on the left side isn't such a bad option even on a short field.

That is an awful lot of players in a small area.

There is no guarantee that Lacy would gain 9 or even 4 yards as you suggested in your 3rd point, so we very well could have still been in 2nd and goal from the 7, 8, or 9 even if we lined up Lacy from a power running formation.

very very true. Lacy's 4 yard average may be proof for some but not for me. Once again tight area and my feeling that he got way too many of his yards on his own.

Like we've acknowledged, we're wasting way too much time talking about one of 60 offensive plays, so I'll step back and remove my undies from the bundle they're currently in and find something more constructive to do - like piss and moan about something else I have no control over in another thread 🤣

see answer #1

All in all I don't see we are that much different. They ran the play. I wondered if it was the right call. It didn't bother you that they did. Uncle Teddy wouldn't even take my phone call if I made one. He likes Mike enough to trust him with the job. In the long run what do I know about the NFL? Exactly what I get paid for being a HC. nada.

UserPostedImage
macbob
10 years ago
I liked the heart that our team displayed after getting punched in the face by the 49ers, both on offense and defense, in that first quarter. They could have put their tail between their legs but didn't. They punched the 49ers right back, both the offense AND the defense.

That performance was a credit to the players and the coaches. We came up short, but it was one play short--don't drop the INT; Cobb score a TD instead of getting tackled inside the 10 yard line, etc.

We get our injured guys back, add players through the draft, get our rookies from last year a full offseason with the team (and Tolzien an offseason with us period) and I'm already starting to look forward to next year.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I'm not buying putting it mostly or all on the offense. The defense played better than we were expecting them to but they still gave up almost 400 yards and 23 points to a team with a QB that's been pretty average all year and in defensively favorable conditions. They weren't as good as they needed to be, especially failing to step up with the game on the line. The offense wasn't good enough either but they were also playing against an elite defensive unit in shit weather. It was a team loss all around and overall a pretty well played game against a good team. No need to try and blame a side, GB came to play yesterday but weren't good enough to win that's just football.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Let's see what Kaepernick does going forward in the playoffs. I think the Niners held him back from a lot of running during the season to try and make sure he was healthy. Even in the first half of the Packers game, he didn't run much. I think he runs more if needed and therefore becomes more effective in future games. The other thing those games will show is whether or not other teams can stop him - both running and passing, as the Packers had such a hard time doing. I'm not saying other teams will do better or won't - it will be interesting to see.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
10 years ago

Let's see what Kaepernick does going forward in the playoffs. I think the Niners held him back from a lot of running during the season to try and make sure he was healthy. Even in the first half of the Packers game, he didn't run much. I think he runs more if needed and therefore becomes more effective in future games. The other thing those games will show is whether or not other teams can stop him - both running and passing, as the Packers had such a hard time doing. I'm not saying other teams will do better or won't - it will be interesting to see.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I felt like on any given play he could have scrambled for 20 yards at will against the Packers. I was wondering why he DIDN'T more often. I'm not a fan of his, seems like a cocky S.O.B. but he's pretty talented.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The run game is not about the 4 yards gained.. it is about the related items that come along with running the ball. Wearing down an opposing defense, play action, time of possession and in our case protecting our defense.

We had taken control of their defense late in that game by running the ball, passing and then being able to run or pass in converting 3rd downs.

No one is saying run first.. at least I haven't seen one. It is all about balance and being able to do whatever the game situation calls for. It put us, a weaker overall roster, in a position to win that game. It worked for the most part.. personally, a power run in place of the Cobb play, we are probably talking about the Niners trying to score a TD.

Oh.. and it Hyde holds onto the pick.. we probably run out the clock with the run game as we had the Niners defense tired.

My opinion anyway. Offense is not independent of a defense generally on a football team.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

yeah yeah yeah. When I heard Aikman or whoever quote McCarthy at halftime saying we needed to run MORE, I knew we were in trouble. And the crap about McCarthy saying basically what your first line said - "other good things" - the shit about number of carries is more important than yards gained or whatever, that's just plain stupid.

Ask yourself, how effective would Eddie Lacy be if the other team was playing pass on first down because that was the Packers' tendency. I bet he'd average a helluva lot more than 4 yds. a carry.

And ask yourself, how much scoring we would have had done if Rodgers had more downs to throw instead of wasting plays in hopeless runs. Yeah, we might have given up another TD or two because the Niners got more time of possession, but I bet we woulda scored 3 or 4 more TDs also. And Aaron Rodgers has proven he can still dominate through the air, even with poor pass blocking. As good as Lacy is, he can't do enough with rotten blocking and predictable running plays.

Ideally, Thompson gets his head out of his ass and drafts better/signs a few FAs, etc. to improve the D and O-Line like he has been so deficient in - because I'm fairly sure we aren't gonna lose the bastard as GM. With even a half decent D and a pass first offense, we would be unstoppable.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I liked the heart that our team displayed after getting punched in the face by the 49ers, both on offense and defense, in that first quarter. They could have put their tail between their legs but didn't. They punched the 49ers right back, both the offense AND the defense.

That performance was a credit to the players and the coaches. We came up short, but it was one play short--don't drop the INT; Cobb score a TD instead of getting tackled inside the 10 yard line, etc.

We get our injured guys back, add players through the draft, get our rookies from last year a full offseason with the team (and Tolzien an offseason with us period) and I'm already starting to look forward to next year.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

I like how this team fights back too.

I just wish they didn't shit themselves to get into that position. If the Niners just flat out beat us and put us down, it would be one thing. But to come out and embarrass yourselves like that, week after week, year after year, detracts from the enjoyment of rooting for your team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
10 years ago
For the first time in years, our nucleus looks hazy.

Superbowl year, you could put your finger on exactly what it is the team needed for the future to remain one of the premier teams in the NFL.

What hurts me is the unknown, because taking impending FA into consideration, we as fans have no idea of the scope required to rebuild the defense. It isn't a big rebuilding job offensively, as a personal opinion probably shared by the majority of fans i'd like an elite tight end, and a center.

Defensively however, looking at the roster top to bottom, It's clear improvement is needed on all three levels. A Nose tackle, a linebacker and a safety in my opinion. I would be VERY surprised if Ted goes for the quick fix (Orapko, Byrd), cost implications/philosophy considered.

Sometimes, just a fresh start is enough to improve top to bottom. Who knows, maybe a change in defensive coaching staff could be the catalyst for an improvement.

Right now though, I am worried about the defense going forward.

UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.