buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Another case of The fan expectations being WAY to high for a lower 1st rnd pick.

To The Packers credit, Jones is one guy who didn't get thrown into the mix to fast, he was given a little time to learn how to be an NFL player.

I'm glad he has a positive spin on his 1st year and is ready to, as he said, take the next step.

Get bigger, stronger, better, and mentally move forward.

Takes time to become an NFL caliber player, at ANY position, there are only a few "guaranteed to start" players in every draft, (see top 5)and sometimes that doesn't work out.

Next year will be the big test for Jones, hopefully he's ready.

Only time will tell, some players take longer than others to develop.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
10 years ago
To be honest, I'm just happy when a high draft pick doesn't suffer a major injury and is relatively healthy. At least that's a start.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I don't get what the hoopla is here people. What is wrong with mediocrity? We should settle for below standards and just continue ripping the hell out of the coaches! And also, we need to give every team a Lombardi trophy because I mean come on, they are all trying their very best out there!!

BLUE RIBBONS FOR EVERYONE!!
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
It would have been so much better if he had said.

You know, I really sucked this year. The Packers took me in the first round and I should have set all kinds of records and made everyone in the league say JJ who. I couldn't tackle for crap and I couldn't stop a pass to save my life. And sacks? Don't get me started on sacks. I'm just so ashamed of my performance. I really do not know how I got through each week. Going out there week after week, well, those weeks where I wasn't resting my lazy ass on the bench because of some lame injury, and playing like a pile of crap. I honestly don't know why they even kept me on the roster.

You know what the sad part is though. I really don't expect to be any better next year. I don't see how I could possible get any bigger stronger or faster. I mean that stuff is like gentical or something right? You got what you got. As far as understanding my role and learning more or the mental aspects of the game, now I ain't mental or nothing like that but my brain can only grasp so much of this technical mumbo jumbo so I think I've pretty much hit my peak here as well.

It's a shame when you think of it. all this potential gone to pot in one season. Oh well, I got money now and that is all that matters.

Yup, that would have been so much better.

Now for a serious comment. He didn't say he was satisfied with his performance this year. He didn't say he that he didn't need to improve or that he wouldn't improve. What he said was that he thought he did pretty good and that he will get better. A lot better.

Would it have been better had he said I wasn't happy with the way I played this year. There were a lot of things I did wrong and didn't see a lot of improvement throughout the year.

Next year will be different. I will be bigger, stronger and faster. I'll take that next step in the mental aspect of the game. I will be a different player.

Its the second paragraph in both cases that mean anything. What is the difference if he chooses to emphasize the positive or the negative aspect of this years play. Do you think that by looking at his performance in a positive way that he is not aware of the things he did poorly.

At this point it doesn't really matter what his performance was this year, next year is what matters now and it sounds to me like he knows which direction he needs to be going and he will be going there with a vengeance. I see no problems with what he said and I certainly do not see it as an acceptance of mediocrity.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Don't be silly sschind. No one is insinuating that that should have been his reply. But what is wrong with us saying that he should have said, "I am not satisfied with my overall performance and I want to work hard and get better"? Great players say that all the time. Why not expect the same from someone who has not become great- yet?
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

Don't be silly sschind. No one is insinuating that that should have been his reply. But what is wrong with us saying that he should have said, "I am not satisfied with my overall performance and I want to work hard and get better"? Great players say that all the time. Why not expect the same from someone who has not become great- yet?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'm not sure if you replied to my post after I made my edit and added all the stuff after Yup that would have been so much better If it was before you may want to go back and read what I added. I added it to try to make myself clearer. Maybe it didn't work

I didn't read anything in his comments that indicated he was happy, or satisfied with his performance. He just said he thought he played well.

So some great player choose to emphasize the negative things and look for an improvement. Jones chose to take a positive outlook and look for improvement. I've heard some great players say "I thought I had a pretty good year but next year will be even better" The net result is the same. He expects to improve. I just don't see a real big difference between "I think I did well but I will be much better next year" and I think I played poorly but I will be much better next year" The bottom line is he expects to be better, much better next year and that is what counts.
steveishere
10 years ago
Why worry so much about what he said anyways? Who cares? Probably one of the most irritating things about sports media is the microanalysis of simple statements that players make. They get ripped by media and fans if what they said wasn't cliche when we know full well that none of it really matters anyways and then we complain about every answer that is sports cliche. I still remember all the fans complaining that clay matthews was on the radio asking for fans suggestions for a sack dance lol. "OMG WHY ISN"T HE WORRYING ABOUT FOOTBALL!!! WHO CARES ABOUT SACK DANCE!!!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I'm not sure if you replied to my post after I made my edit and added all the stuff after Yup that would have been so much better If it was before you may want to go back and read what I added. I added it to try to make myself clearer. Maybe it didn't work

I didn't read anything in his comments that indicated he was happy, or satisfied with his performance. He just said he thought he played well.

So some great player choose to emphasize the negative things and look for an improvement. Jones chose to take a positive outlook and look for improvement. I've heard some great players say "I thought I had a pretty good year but next year will be even better" The net result is the same. He expects to improve. I just don't see a real big difference between "I think I did well but I will be much better next year" and I think I played poorly but I will be much better next year" The bottom line is he expects to be better, much better next year and that is what counts.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

prior to edit
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Why worry so much about what he said anyways? Who cares? Probably one of the most irritating things about sports media is the microanalysis of simple statements that players make. They get ripped by media and fans if what they said wasn't cliche when we know full well that none of it really matters anyways and then we complain about every answer that is sports cliche. I still remember all the fans complaining that clay matthews was on the radio asking for fans suggestions for a sack dance lol. "OMG WHY ISN"T HE WORRYING ABOUT FOOTBALL!!! WHO CARES ABOUT SACK DANCE!!!"

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Because we have nothing else to do. I was the president of our chamber of commerce when we hired a new director. Businesses in small rural towns are failing. That makes the owners cranky. I told her not to get upset if some lady who runs the little dress shop down the street or the candle shop is complaining about something she said. (And the director was a little big of an air head to be sure. She was young and bubbly and the store owners were- well let's say they were not and leave it at that.)

GB's season is over. Here we sit. If Aaron wasn't injured. If Clay wasn't injured. If the season had gone better we could be hosting Seattle tomorrow and on our way to the SB yet again. We ain't so we have a right to be bitchy too. harumph.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
10 years ago
the guy said he is going to work his ass off this offseason and come back a different player. what more do u guys want? honestly.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (6h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (23h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (23h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (23h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (23h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.