QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
So everyone thinks the defense needs to be 'dumbed' down?

So how do you think that makes other teams feel? How does Jay Cutler feel when he looks up and sees the best players on the sidelines in street clothes and then he also sees that our Defense is simplified?

If you run a restaurant, do you lower food quality expectations down to what your cooks can easily handle or do you pressure them to grow and meet your standards? And replace them as necessary to maintain quality standards.

Let's look at what dumbing down the offense might mean. What if McCarthy needed to reduce the offense? So they could drop all of the Play Action passes. That would make it much easier for our players. And pass blocking would be simpler if we always kept 2 backs in. So we can eliminate all plays that involve more than 3 receivers. There. Now our offense is simplified. And every defensive coach in the league is celebrating.

Hearing the Coaches talk about less schemeing is what the fans want to hear. Is it what other teams want to hear also?
play2win
9 years ago

So how do you think that makes other teams feel? How does Jay Cutler feel when he looks up and sees the best players on the sidelines in street clothes and then he also sees that our Defense is simplified?

If you run a restaurant, do you lower food quality expectations down to what your cooks can easily handle or do you pressure them to grow and meet your standards? And replace them as necessary to maintain quality standards.

Let's look at what dumbing down the offense might mean. What if McCarthy needed to reduce the offense? So they could drop all of the Play Action passes. That would make it much easier for our players. And pass blocking would be simpler if we always kept 2 backs in. So we can eliminate all plays that involve more than 3 receivers. There. Now our offense is simplified. And every defensive coach in the league is celebrating.

Hearing the Coaches talk about less schemeing is what the fans want to hear. Is it what other teams want to hear also?

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

I think this is way more about having playmakers at key positions, more than anything. Figure, we've been without a proper starter at S for about 3 seasons. We've also lacked pass rush opposite Matthews, along with solid interior LB play since Bishop went out., not to mention the solid interior DL play we knew before Cullen Jenkins left. Oddly enough, all of those personnel losses occurred by September following our 2011 SB win. Not one of them adequately replaced.

In that span, we also saw our DPOY Charles Woodson suffer two collar bone breaks and his leaving via FA. That is a lot of talent to lose, and a lot of talent to add back into your team. It has taken Ted 3 years, but things are looking more like we may have a complete recovery for all of these losses, with playmakers. We still have to see it on the field, but on paper things look encouraging.

Kind of like Wade alluded to with so many players unable to match up in their positions over this same span, mostly due to injury, but also due to a lack of top talent at those positions. Now we seem to have those players where we need them, and if simplifying the D scheme helps to start, why not do it? Let the players gel in a simplified system, then turn them loose. As they get more accustomed to playing successfully in this, Dom will be able to add more as the season progresses.

I don't see simplifying things as a negative with better talent and depth. In a way, I kind of feel that Capers felt forced to win more with scheme, because he sure didn't have the players, and that just snowballed into some epic defensive failures, because players replacing injured stars were not ready, and neither were many newly drafted players.

Mike Daniels is a prime example. Had a decent rookie season, but didn't do anything particularly special that season to help his team win games, at least, we didn't see it in the W column. Two years in, he became a different player, and we have needed a bunch of those.

I see Datone Jones, Micah Hyde, Casey Hayward and Josh Boyd possibly having some very significant impact this year for our D, and hopefully Nick Perry too. All of them in development years where we should see some positive progression.

Defensive stops are exactly what we are after, along with TOs. If Dom can realize this by simplifying things with better talent across the board to run it, great. I don't believe he will be exposing us by making things easier for his players, at all.
steveishere
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

You surely don't show up with a ridiculous menu meant for a 20 year chef and expect all your new less experienced guys to handle it.

It seems to me it's been pretty obvious that our defensive scheme has been too complicated for the players over the last couple years. If guys are running around in week 15 and making mistakes that isn't challenging them to improve it's making your scheme more important than just letting guys play football.

Dumbing down the defense doesn't mean your defense is dumb if the starting point was something that needed a genius to handle. If an offense had 5 option routes for each WR on every play and nobody could figure it out would cutting it down to 2 option routes each play make the offense worse if the players could handle that? I don't think so.

I think Dom is a good coach that tries to get cute and make things too complicated as he has more time in a scheme. The problem is you can't keep the same players every year in this league so if you've installed all this crap after 3 seasons then you've had to replace veterans because of injuries or overpaid FA contracts or retirement and stuff like that you end up with rookies and 2nd year guys having to learn 3 or 4 years worth of scheme to catch up.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
A.J. Hawk is not the wrong guy to keep around. Hawk being the best ILB is the problem.

Hawk has been eligible for 128 games in his career. He has started 123 of those games and played in 126. He has 832 combined tackles, 18.5 sacks and 9 interceptions with 3 forced fumbles.

How is he the wrong guy? Is he too durable? Is he too reliable?
UserPostedImage
StarrMax1
9 years ago

I have never understood all the hate for A.J Hawk, but not going to argue with anyone, you get 4 LBr's who play every game, and sooner or later (probably sooner), a team is going to have 4 guys who can just react and play football, not needing to worry about the other 3's assignments.

One could probably say that for any group, it just seems the LBr's position has been decimated the past few years, I might check this, just see how many different guys Hawk has been on the field with since 2010.

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

Not trying to prove a point here or anything, just satisfying my own curiosity.

According to Packers.com there have been 24 LBr's who have played beside Hawk in the last 4 years. Look at the list and you will remember most ended up on IR at one point or another.

The good news Mathews, Hawk, Jones, Lattimore and Perry are all back this year and have been with the team for at least 2 years.
(knock on wood) They all stay healthy, factor in Peppers and Neal, and maybe just maybe we all might be able to see huge improvement in LBr play.

1. Aiyewa, Victor LB Washington 2013
2. Barnett, Nick LB Oregon State 2010
3. Barrington, Sam LB South Florida 2013
4. Bishop, Desmond LB California 2010
5. Briggs, Diyral LB Bowling Green 2010
6. Chillar, Brandon LB UCLA 2010
7. Francois, Robert LB Boston College 2010
8. Havner, Spencer TE/LB UCLA 2010
9. Hawk, A.J. LB Ohio State 2010-13
10. Jones, Brad LB Colorado 2010-13
11. Lattimore, Jamari LB Middle Tennessee State 2011-13
12. Manning, Terrell LB North Carolina State 2012
13. Matthews, Clay LB Southern California 2010-13
14. Moses, Dezman LB Tulane 2012
15. Mulumba, Andy LB Eastern Michigan 2013
16. Palmer, Nate LB Illinois State 2013
17. Perry, Nick LB Southern California 2012-13
18. Poppinga, Brady LB Brigham Young 2010
19. Simpkins, Maurice LB Coastal Carolina 2010
20. Smith, D.J. LB Appalachian State 2011-12
21.So'oto, Vic LB Brigham Young 2011-12
22. Walden, Erik LB Middle Tennessee State 2010-12
23. Wilhelm, Matt LB Ohio State 2010
24. Williams, D.J. LB Arkansas 2011-12
25. Zombo, Frank LB Central Michigan 2010-12
RaiderPride
9 years ago

Does this mean we will not have to explain as much to Nerdman this year? : )

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
play2win
9 years ago

A.J. Hawk is not the wrong guy to keep around. Hawk being the best ILB is the problem.

Hawk has been eligible for 128 games in his career. He has started 123 of those games and played in 126. He has 832 combined tackles, 18.5 sacks and 9 interceptions with 3 forced fumbles.

How is he the wrong guy? Is he too durable? Is he too reliable?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I was on Hawk a couple of seasons ago, and I think it was rightly so at the time. His contract was huge and his play was really severely lacking.

Last year was something entirely different. He came in lighter, with a more affordable contract restructure, and he was far more effective both in coverage and at getting to the QB, while maintaining good control with his tackling.

I see AJ Hawk possibly having the best year of his career in 2014. Never before has he been surrounded with so much talent. I do believe Brad Jones' spot next to him will be contested through TC and the preseason, and I do believe an upgrade to Jones will be found. Add to that all the other upgrades, with important players like Datone Jones, Josh Boyd and Mike Neal looking to build on their 2013 seasons, and I can see where this could be a really fun season for Hawk.

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

I don't know, but someone damn well better explain who the hell "McCarthey" is!!
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago
Well, it sounds like Datone and Boyd came into camp with some much needed added weight. This is good...

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/5/30/5765556/packers-2014-ota-weigh-ins-reveal-progress-for-second-year-players 
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

They should scale down the offense too. Sometimes I feel like Mike's out-thinking himself.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (10h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (15h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (15h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (15h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.