Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
All NFL teams draft players. Usually that is a team effort as to who to pick. GB , being publicly owned , places it's future in a few people. Yet the credit for finding an Aaron Rodgers or C.Matthews or E.Lacy or hiring J.Peppers ends up with TT.
When a B.J Raji or B.Bulaga goes down, as should be anticipated, we look for the next player to step up. However if that step is just a half, we look everywhere but at Ted Thompson to blame. Ted Thompson has a nice job, all the glory and none of the blame. Damn, I'd like to have a job like that. [twocents]

...........[hijack] .............
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
TT gets plenty of blame. Be in here after a bad loss sometime.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

All NFL teams draft players. Usually that is a team effort as to who to pick. GB , being publicly owned , places it's future in a few people. Yet the credit for finding an Aaron Rodgers or C.Matthews or E.Lacy or hiring J.Peppers ends up with TT.
When a B.J Raji or B.Bulaga goes down, as should be anticipated, we look for the next player to step up. However if that step is just a half, we look everywhere but at Ted Thompson to blame. Ted Thompson has a nice job, all the glory and none of the blame. Damn, I'd like to have a job like that. [twocents]

...........[hijack] .............

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Wait, Ted Thompson gets "all the glory and none of the blame"??? Where have you been since he has been hired? FireTedThompson.com anyone?
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago

TT gets plenty of blame. Be in here after a bad loss sometime.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

So the Seattle & Detroit losses weren't bad ?

I get so frustrated when Ted Thompson slides on things , that IMO , he is responsible for. Allowing both Pickett & Jolly to depart was a bad gamble on Guion and Pennell . Promoting Luther Robinson is fine, but the Packers still gave up 111 yds on 25 carries to the Vikings. I'm just tired of TT's ," things will get better if we just trust the cheap, youth based method" . I prefer the," I'm fixing the problem right now before it gets worse method". If the house is on fire, standing around saying "ain't the fire pretty" doesn't put the fire out. Ted Thompson is reactive, I believe in being proactive. Replacing Pickett & Jolly was a poor move. I'd have kept Pickett and Pennell as insurance against Raji going down. Pickett(for proven experience) and Pennell (youth for the future). Hiring Guion was a mistake and is now biting the Packers in the defence.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
TT will forever be on honeymoon due to the SB win in Dallas. That is how Packers fans are wired.

The objectivity goes completely out the window and scrutiny is never even considered. Ted Thompson has done some good things but drafting a no brainer superstar QB pick in Round 1 does NOT excuse the litany of mistakes made under his watch.

To suffer at the hands of the pitiful defense assembled with countless high draft picks is squarely on him.

When he's finally out of here only then he'll be looked at properly. That is what happened under Mike Sherman. Couldn't count the number of times I heard fans quote the record and compare Shermy with Vince. Now, that Sherman is gone, he is accurately viewed for what he was...not very good despite a record achieved on the back of Brett Favre. One day, Ted Thompson will be seen as a man who rode Rodgers coattails and drove this proud franchise into the ground.

It just takes time.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
9 years ago

So the Seattle & Detroit losses weren't bad ?

I get so frustrated when Ted Thompson slides on things , that IMO , he is responsible for. Allowing both Pickett & Jolly to depart was a bad gamble on Guion and Pennell . Promoting Luther Robinson is fine, but the Packers still gave up 111 yds on 25 carries to the Vikings. I'm just tired of TT's ," things will get better if we just trust the cheap, youth based method" . I prefer the," I'm fixing the problem right now before it gets worse method". If the house is on fire, standing around saying "ain't the fire pretty" doesn't put the fire out. Ted Thompson is reactive, I believe in being proactive. Replacing Pickett & Jolly was a poor move. I'd have kept Pickett and Pennell as insurance against Raji going down. Pickett(for proven experience) and Pennell (youth for the future). Hiring Guion was a mistake and is now biting the Packers in the defence.

So what are the Packers supposed to do in October? Pickett went into week 4 before being picked up on waivers. Was he really THAT good of an option? How about we go out and sign J.J. Watt right now?

The decision to move on from Pickett and Jolly was made WELL in advance of signing Guion or Pennell.

I'm not apologizing for Ted, but to blame him because he didn't keep Pickett and Jolly hurts your argument
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago

So what are the Packers supposed to do in October? Pickett went into week 4 before being picked up on waivers. Was he really THAT good of an option? How about we go out and sign J.J. Watt right now?

The decision to move on from Pickett and Jolly was made WELL in advance of signing Guion or Pennell.

I'm not apologizing for Ted, but to blame him because he didn't keep Pickett and Jolly hurts your argument

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Had you read my post, I said the Packers should have gone with Raji, Pickett, and Pennell. Dropping both was a mistake.

What to do today ? Well it's too late to actually fix Guion, Pennell could only do better. He does have the size advantage on Guion. I'll let the J.J.Watt remark slide . 😳
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I'd take Ted over most GMs in the league. I'll just leave it at that. He's definitely in the top 10 of GMs for me. Maybe not top 5, but close.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
As I've said before, Ted gets blame from me for not maximizing things. I'm for draft and develop as much as most people, but Thompson sometimes is too rigid about it. He also tends to be a little too satisfied with mediocre players at times. We are winning because we have the world's greatest QB - yeah, Thompson gets credit for that. But we are doing it with an offensive line that even in a good week, ain't as good as it could/should be and a defense which did the job two weeks in a row now, but still needs to do a lot more to prove it is consistently good.

Thompson will continue to do the job his way, and that will be good enough as long as we have Aaron Rodgers. If Ted is still around after the end of the Rodgers era, though, his ways and his stubbornness in those ways may result in a team that gets exposed for mediocrity now masked by having Rodgers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
9 years ago

Had you read my post, I said the Packers should have gone with Raji, Pickett, and Pennell. Dropping both was a mistake.

What to do today ? Well it's too late to actually fix Guion, Pennell could only do better. He does have the size advantage on Guion. I'll let the J.J.Watt remark slide . 😳

My j.j. watt comment is pointing out that we are where we are right now. Ted can't do much about it in October, and if Pickett was such a necessary commodity, why did he go January to late September unsigned by 32 teams?

I didn't love what they did with line either. I have also come to realize the team was going to utilize Neal, Peppers, and Perry in a d - line -like role so any commentary on TT's handling of the d line needs to consider their impact.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (20h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.