warhawk
9 years ago
The pass defense has been decent all year long. Last night in the 2nd half it was not. I'm not going to get all freaked out and think that out of the blue this team cannot all of a sudden do a good job against the pass.
I am somewhat puzzled that Capers changed the coverage when what they were doing in the first half was getting the job done. I understand that teams routinely go into this mode when they have a huge lead but either they need to get better at that or forget about it.
I've never been a big fan of soft zone coverage anyhow and when you ask your guys to play that against a team with the kind of talent in the passing game the Falcons have it just invites misery. I will say though that Capers saw Williams get torched on the first series of the second half and that probably definitely entered into what Capers thought they needed to do.
"The train is leaving the station."
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

QC,

What are we as casual fans allowed to do? Talk exclusivity about the victory? The Offense?

The offense in the first half was outstanding.
Jordy fantastic.
Aaron is the MVP and going into the HoF at this rate.

Ok it's done. now what?

It is not unusual or wrong or even disrespectful for fans to talk about the areas of the team that they would like to see improve. As you point out there are no perfect teams so they is always going to be room to discuss the things we have concern over. No one will ever change that.

I don't want you to stop saying what you say because it would be a pretty boring world if we agreed on every thing all the time.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is a thread with 3 pages of complaining and whining about the D. If I started a thread dedicated to enjoying the victory, would 3 people even post on it? Would 1? If we started a thread focused on the play of the OL, would it last 4 posts before someone bitched about Campen?

The Defense was fairly stout yesterday until the game was out of reach. (So we thought!) Then it got ugly. But some credit goes to the Falcons. They came out hard in the second half and put the Packers on their heels. Does that mean Capers sucks? No. It means the Falcons are pros also and came out hard in the 2nd half.

We have so much goodness to embrace. We may never have another QB in the league as great as ARod. Odds are certainly against us ever having one in GB again. So we spend his best years complaining about what might have been? Didn't we win? Aren't we the odds on favorite for the #1 seed? So why is there such a feeling of despair? This same shitty Defense has won us 10 games this year.

If someone spends the entire season whining about the Defense, if we lose the Super Bowl 36-35, do they get to gloat all winter because they were right? Who will be happier: Me because the team I embrace did extremely well or them because they were right and the team they love to criticize lost in the way they predicted?

AM 670 the Score is based out of Chicago. I used to enjoy listening to it to hear Bears/ Cubs fans whining. It's not as much fun anymore. It's too much like listening to many Packer fans.

Our glass is 85% full. Why do some have to spend all of our time bitching about the 15%?
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Musccy,

This is not the best Defense in the league. It is the #18 scoring defense. It is the Defense of a team that has gone 9-1 in their last 10 games. It is the same D that held the Patriots below their, at the time, league leading scoring offense just last week. It is what it is. Average, but supplemented by a tremendous offense.

But before we discuss any more of it's flaws, lets discuss the perfect teams in the league. Let's start with, um, well, the Patriots? Wait, we just beat them. So the, uh, Seahawks. Wait, they've lost more games than the Pack and have no receiving threat. Well, crud. Is there no perfect team?

This has the making of a special season. One that might end in not making the playoffs. Or maybe a first rd exit. Or possibly even a Super Bowl title. Does everyone really want to spend the season complaining about things we don't understand or control? Life is short. Enjoy the trip. Don't focus on the potholes.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Not everyone!!!

[grin1]

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
hardrocker950
9 years ago

Our glass is 85% full. Why do some have to spend all of our time bitching about the 15%?

Because that 15% is what often wins and loses championships.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

This is a thread with 3 pages of complaining and whining about the D. If I started a thread dedicated to enjoying the victory, would 3 people even post on it? Would 1? If we started a thread focused on the play of the OL, would it last 4 posts before someone bitched about Campen?

I would like to see you try and start the threads. Sounds like a great idea. Don't get frustrated if when the first first or even the hundredth complaint. I can tell you now it will happen. That is human nature. You will never change it.

The Defense was fairly stout yesterday until the game was out of reach. (So we thought!) Then it got ugly. But some credit goes to the Falcons. They came out hard in the second half and put the Packers on their heels. Does that mean Capers sucks? No. It means the Falcons are pros also and came out hard in the 2nd half.

Once again it is not unheard of in many areas of society for people to think we failed instead of the other guys succeeded. Nerdmann likes to think it is GB shitting themselves even if it ain't so. comme ci comme ça.

We have so much goodness to embrace.
We may never have another QB in the league as great as ARod. Odds are certainly against us ever having one in GB again.
So we spend his best years complaining about what might have been?
Didn't we win?
Aren't we the odds on favorite for the #1 seed? So why is there such a feeling of despair?
This same shitty Defense has won us 10 games this year.

yes we do. Talking about and wishing the areas of weakness were improved does not preclude enjoying the success too.
True.
Many of the complaints come from the fact that fans would like to see Aaron have greater support. Both in other areas of the offense, mainly the OL and in most portions of the defense.
I am not sure GB is the odds on favorite. They are not in first. That treats AZ in the same light you dislike people to view the Packers. After all they have won the same number of games.
Not so. This defense has changed many times over the season. Different personnel. Different schemes. Different effort from game to game. Even the weather is different.

If someone spends the entire season whining about the Defense, if we lose the Super Bowl 36-35, do they get to gloat all winter because they were right? Who will be happier: Me because the team I embrace did extremely well or them because they were right and the team they love to criticize lost in the way they predicted?

nope.
I don't see anyone deriving pleasure from a loss.

AM 670 the Score is based out of Chicago. I used to enjoy listening to it to hear Bears/ Cubs fans whining. It's not as much fun anymore. It's too much like listening to many Packer fans.

I find the SCORE hard to take but mainly from the hosts more than the fans.

Tell me it is wrong to want a 85% team to be a 90% or 95% team? BUT they are not at 85%. The offense is about 90% and the defense is about 60% ST teams at 70%. In told they are about 70-75% as a whole.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago
Silver lining on the defensive performance: they held Jackson to a 3.1 yards per carry average.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
9 years ago

Once again it is not unheard of in many areas of society for people to think we failed instead of the other guys succeeded. Nerdmann likes to think it is GB shitting themselves even if it ain't so. comme ci comme ça.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Actually I differentiate between the two more clearly than anyone. It just seems to be that 80%+ of the time, it's us shitting ourselves.

How many times have players like Clay come out and said, WE BEAT OURSELVES. Well, it's true.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RaiderPride
9 years ago
Last time I looked at the scores from last weekend, the Packers won. The actual final score, is not worth a hill of beans 6 days after the game ended. The final score, yards given up, and all that shit then becomes a stat that no one really looks at except Vegas odds makers.

I have never seen so much Bitching from a fan base of a team that is about to win a Super Bowl.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
DakotaT
9 years ago
Being the spoiled fans that we are, we have come to expect a certain level of play. Giving up all that garbage the an inferior team on Monday Night Football doesn't sit well with some of us. That said, this defense is our built in excuse if we shit ourselves. I think they are going to step up in the playoffs this year, but they sure can look miserable at times.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

Being the spoiled fans that we are, we have come to expect a certain level of play. Giving up all that garbage the an inferior team on Monday Night Football doesn't sit well with some of us. That said, this defense is our built in excuse if we shit ourselves. I think they are going to step up in the playoffs this year, but they sure can look miserable at times.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I agree with this. Except will say 95% of the time the built in excuse of the defense is the reason why we lose. Sometimes our offense gets too cute and shits itself to. Case in point the last playoff game against the niners our last scoring drive that only resulted in a FG. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Mike McCarthy was thinking.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (9h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Novalee

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.