nerdmann
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Three quick post-game takeaways from the Green Bay Packers' 26-21 victory over the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Divisional Playoffs at Lambeau Field Sunday, which sent the Packers to Seattle for next week's NFC Championship Game.:

Comeback kids: Playing through a painful strained left calf, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers struggled early, after running back Eddie Lacy did much of the work (seven carries, 45 yards) on Green Bay's opening touchdown drive. At the half, Rodgers had completed just 9 of 15 passes for 90 yards. But he — and the Packers' offense — came to life in the second half, and with some major help from rookie wide receiver Davante Adams, Rodgers engineered one of those fourth-quarter comebacks he's often criticized for not doing often enough. Rodgers threw a 46-yard TD to Adams to pull the Packers within 21-20, then capped an eight-play, 80-yard drive with a 13-yard laser to rookie tight end Richard Rodgers that won the game. The Packers quarterback finished the day having completed 24 of 35 passes for 317 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 125.5.

Davante comes alive: In the final four weeks of the regular season, Adams caught only four passes for 29 yards — and he was shut out in the Dec. 28 regular-season finale against Detroit. He said during the bye week that it was his job to stay ready if the opportunity to contribute presented itself. That opportunity came Sunday. Not only did Adams deliver the 46-yard TD, but his 30-yard catch and run — made with Cowboys cornerback Sterling Moore trying to wrest the ball away from him for an interception — on third-and-3 in the closing minutes helped the Packers run much of the clock after a controversial fourth-down reversal of a Dez Bryant catch at the goal line gave Green Bay the ball. Adams finished with seven receptions for 117 yards and a touchdown. His previous best game had been Nov. 30 against New England, when he caught six passes for 121 yards in a win over the Patriots.

Reversal of fortune: With the Packers clinging to a 26-21 lead and the Cowboys facing fourth-and-1 with 4:06 left in the game, the Cowboys went for it all, and at first, they got it. Bryant made an acrobatic, jaw-dropping catch over Packers cornerback Sam Shields at the Packers' 1-yard line. Presumably, the Cowboys would have scored on one of their ensuing plays. But Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who hadn't won a replay challenge all season, challenged that Bryant maintained control of the ball, and the replay official — and, likely, the NFL replay office in New York — agreed. "After review, it has been determined that the receiver did not maintain possession of the ball," referee Gene Steratore said. And that, essentially, was the ballgame.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Another 4th Q comeback for Arodge.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago
I've been very critical of Adams, and I still feel he's demonstrated some communication issues, especially with backshoulders this year.

That said, clearly the guy has talent and was an absolute man today. Credit where credit is due!
DoddPower
9 years ago

I've been very critical of Adams, and I still feel he's demonstrated some communication issues, especially with backshoulders this year.

That said, clearly the guy has talent and was an absolute man today. Credit where credit is due!

Originally Posted by: musccy 

He's going to be a very good player. Likely won't be great, but he will be better than James Jones. He's close already. His lack of speed will prevent him from being great, imo. But he should develop into a great route runner with great hands that plays strong. Good blockers, too. Adams will catch many more touchdown passes in his future!
musccy
9 years ago

He's going to be a very good player. Likely won't be great, but he will be better than James Jones. He's close already. His lack of speed will prevent him from being great, imo. But he should develop into a great route runner with great hands that plays strong. Good blockers, too. Adams will catch many more touchdown passes in his future!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

On lacy's longest run, Kuhn had a great block, but Adams kept driving the cb down the field and was arguably the reason a 10 yard run became 20 +
Cheesey
9 years ago
The rookie (Adams) was HUGE today. Without him, we wouldn't have won today.
Another great find by Uncle Ted!
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
9 years ago
It was great to see Adams have a monumental performance after the Buffalo and Tampa game.

I also was so glad to see Rodgers take the open dumpoff in the second half on many plays rather than look for the deep pass. I don't know if it because of the ankle or that he is getting better vision but, keep it up!

Finally, what an amazing challenge by MM. The rule on possession while coming to the ground should be changed but you need to know the rules you have and not the ones you want.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Adams has a lack of speed?

Sure you're not thinking of Boykin?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

It was great to see Adams have a monumental performance after the Buffalo and Tampa game.

I also was so glad to see Rodgers take the open dumpoff in the second half on many plays rather than look for the deep pass. I don't know if it because of the ankle or that he is getting better vision but, keep it up!

Finally, what an amazing challenge by MM. The rule on possession while coming to the ground should be changed but you need to know the rules you have and not the ones you want.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Why should it be changed?

If you trap the ball on the ground, that's not a catch.
Rockmolder
9 years ago

Adams has a lack of speed?

Sure you're not thinking of Boykin?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He ran a 4.56 at the combine and doesn't look much faster than that on the field to me.

But like Dodd said, he's a physical guy who can make catches and has some quickness to him.

Ted never seems to get stuck on the physical specimens at WR, but rather on the football players. Boykin is, indeed, an extreme example of that, but Cobb, Nelson, Jones and, indeed, Davante Adams, didn't show a whole lot at the combine, either.
musccy
9 years ago

Why should it be changed?

If you trap the ball on the ground, that's not a catch.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That wasn't a trap, though. He had two hands on the ball going to the ground, had control of it cradled in his left hand going to the ground, and in my opinion, contact with the ground jarred the ball loose.

I get why they reversed the call. As the rule is written, it was the correct call. That said, I don't like the rule, common sense tells me that Dez, Megatron, and Brett Swain in the Super Bowl (slightly different aspect of the rule) all caught the ball.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

18h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.