uffda udfa
9 years ago

Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing McCarthy on the field yesterday, but maybe I missed it.

I didn't see him drop balls on the 4 (Starks) in the endzone (Jordy, although iffy pass by AR), drop gimmie onsides, risk throwing to Adams v Sherman because he anticipated a flag that wasn't thrown, kneel down when he had open space in front of him after an int, or run in circles instead of knocking down a pop fly 2 pt. convo.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

These kind of responses are tired and ridiculous. I appreciate you telling me Mike McCarthy didn't suit up yesterday, or any day for that matter.

If you think HC's don't impact games you are free to believe that. He does impact games... those who know football know he coached a terrible game yesterday. Typical fare from MM.

Glad you are comfortable LOSING games. There is NOBODY who would ever tell you that Seattle won that game more than Green Bay lost it. MM's mindset is to psychological fold when things go wrong. If you don't see that you are blind. A great HC doesn't fall apart emotionally when some misfortune comes his way, but that is MM.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

packman82
9 years ago
I'm guessing Mike McCarthy halftime speech was "Ok we're up 16-0 so everything we did to get this lead let's just do the opposite in the 2nd half."
blank
nerdmann
9 years ago

Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing McCarthy on the field yesterday, but maybe I missed it.

I didn't see him drop balls on the 4 (Starks) in the endzone (Jordy, although iffy pass by AR), drop gimmie onsides, risk throwing to Adams v Sherman because he anticipated a flag that wasn't thrown, kneel down when he had open space in front of him after an int, or run in circles instead of knocking down a pop fly 2 pt. convo.

These are not inadequate players.

If it was a situation where Mike had players who just weren't good enough, but he put them in a position to succeed and maximized their potential, it would be different.

But these are good players, whose potential is NOT maximized. The whole is LESS than the sum of it's parts.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago

Even after watching this game, I'll admit I don't have faith in the defense. They pleasantly surprised me for 55 minutes today, but I still felt like they were paper tigers even the 2nd half of the season.

I've heard the argument "But the defense played great for 55 minutes!" quite a bit. That is true. Unfortunately, they didn't play well for 60+ minutes, which is what really matters. A good defense plays good the entire game until the final whistle blows. They spoiled their very good play early in the game but blowed it late. Since they lost, the good defensive play early doesn't mean much when they are sitting at home watching the Seahawks play in the Super Bowl. The defense has to find a way to be dependable and consistent when it matters most. I don't think many Packers fans feel confident in the defense when the game is on the line.

You're not alone in your lack of faith in the Packers defense. The Packers need to get better. They are trending the in the right direction, but they are not a championship caliber defense. They don't have championship caliber coaches anymore, either, unless they have more elite players. But many defensive coordinators would be very good with great players at almost every position. The Packers have enough talent to be a consistently good defense, but it just isn't happening. Either find a few more game changing players or find a coach that can maximize the talent the Packers currently have. Preferably both.
all_about_da_packers
9 years ago
I'll throw something different out there: Aaron Rodgers deserves some blame for the game management as well.

Rodgers has free reign to change plays at the line. Look at the two offensive series inside of 5 minutes in the 4th q: we ran the ball against 9 man fronts. The 'Hawks loaded the box. If I'm Aaron, knowing that I can audible plays, I make a damn audible to take advantage of 9 man box.

Now, of course, it's harder to do when Mike sends in heavy run personnel. Maybe there you take a timeout if you are Aaron, and have a convo with Mike. But based on Aaron's comments, it seems he pretty much said "ok, we'll run what you call Mike"... The offense is designed to have Aaron change into higher-percentage plays based on the defense the opposing team is in. He failed to do that. I'm not convinced that Aaron is blame-free for the offensive fiasco in the last 5 minutes.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I'll throw something different out there: Aaron Rodgers deserves some blame for the game management as well.

Rodgers has free reign to change plays at the line. Look at the two offensive series inside of 5 minutes in the 4th q: we ran the ball against 9 man fronts. The 'Hawks loaded the box. If I'm Aaron, knowing that I can audible plays, I make a damn audible to take advantage of 9 man box.

Now, of course, it's harder to do when Mike sends in heavy run personnel. Maybe there you take a timeout if you are Aaron, and have a convo with Mike. But based on Aaron's comments, it seems he pretty much said "ok, we'll run what you call Mike"... The offense is designed to have Aaron change into higher-percentage plays based on the defense the opposing team is in. He failed to do that. I'm not convinced that Aaron is blame-free for the offensive fiasco in the last 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Rodgers doesn't have free reign. He has the ability to change plays within the game plan. That normally consists of run/pass checks and switching to hot reads or audible to predefined plays.

But when it is late in the game and McCarthy says, we are going to run the ball and eat clock, Rodgers does what he is told.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

2007 NFC Championship game against the Giants, Brett Favre was reportedly sternly instructed to run the ball and not audible out. Brett audibled and threw an interception.

Two sides to every coin.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Rodgers doesn't have free reign. He has the ability to change plays within the game plan. That normally consists of run/pass checks and switching to hot reads or audible to predefined plays.

But when it is late in the game and McCarthy says, we are going to run the ball and eat clock, Rodgers does what he is told.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Even TJ Rubly knows that...now.
musccy
9 years ago

These kind of responses are tired and ridiculous. I appreciate you telling me Mike McCarthy didn't suit up yesterday, or any day for that matter.

If you think HC's don't impact games you are free to believe that. He does impact games... those who know football know he coached a terrible game yesterday. Typical fare from MM.

Glad you are comfortable LOSING games. There is NOBODY who would ever tell you that Seattle won that game more than Green Bay lost it. MM's mindset is to psychological fold when things go wrong. If you don't see that you are blind. A great HC doesn't fall apart emotionally when some misfortune comes his way, but that is MM.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

This is such a predictable response. First, you make some ridiculous statement to try to minimize someone's argument. When did I ever write I'm happy with losing? Sophomoric on your part.

Second, you frequently avoid key points that don't fit your narrative. My argument has been and continues to be about the player's responsibility in the loss. Lacy dropped screen, Rodgers missing Jordy in the endzone, 2 FG range ints, Starks drop on the 5, Quarless drop on 3rd down conv. in 4th Q, Burnett kneel, onside, and HaHa 2 point. Those are just 9 examples of play on the field that would have significantly altered field position or even directly conceded points on the scoreboard.

I never said HC's don't impact the game. However, you, me, Vegas, and a lot of other people saw the Packers as underdogs. Despite that, with a gimpy QB the Packers dominated the vast majority of the game, they were fired up, gang tackling. All of that and leading the defending champs 19-7 late in the game, is that the HC impacting the game, or can his impact only be tied to the negative aspects of the game?

Instead of this "everyone knows Mike sucks" and "it's all his fault" weak cop out argument, could you explain how any of the 9 plays I listed are his fault?

Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Remember early in TC when the coaches were all standing around saying IT WASN'T MY FAULT? I forget what the situation was in particular.

Anyway now it seems like Aaron and Mike are pointing fingers at each other.

No accountability, no responsibility.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The rift continues.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (6h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (10h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.