Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — If Bryan Bulaga is going to return to the Green Bay Packers, the veteran offensive tackle will likely have to take a hometown discount — much like wide receiver Randall Cobb did on Saturday night with his new deal.

Cobb agreed to terms on a reported four-year, $40 million deal that includes $17 million in guaranteed money — but he likely would have made significantly more had he waited until the unrestricted free-agent market opened on Tuesday afternoon and signed elsewhere. One NFL source said Cobb left upwards of $2 million per year on the table by re-upping with the Packers.

That's likely what Bulaga will have to do as well, as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Tom Silverstein reported  that Bulaga is seeking a deal that averages between $7 million and $8 million per season, an amount the Packers are unlikely to pay.

Instead, an NFL source said the Packers would like to sign Bulaga, their 2010 first-round pick, to a deal similar to those signed by Dallas Cowboys right tackle Doug Free (three years, $15 million, $6 million guaranteed) and Houston Texans right tackle Derek Newton (five years, $26.5 million, $10 million guaranteed).

Jacksonville, Washington and Tampa Bay are reportedly interested in Bulaga. Players' agents were free to begin talking with outside teams starting Saturday afternoon, although players cannot sign contracts with teams outside of their current club until Tuesday at 3 p.m. Central Daylight Time.

Bulaga's line mates, including right guard T.J. Lang and left tackle David Bakhtiari, have each expressed public hope on their Twitter accounts that their friend will be re-signed.

After suffering back-to-back season-ending injuries — a hip injury midway through the 2012 season and a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the 2013 Family Night Scrimmaeg — Bulaga bounced back to start 17 of the Packers' 18 games last season, missing one start (against the New York Jets in Week 2) after suffering a torn medial collateral ligament in his surgically-repaired left knee in the Sept. 4 regular-season opener at Seattle.

The Packers' starting offensive line — Bakhtiari, left guard Josh Sitton, center Corey Linsley, Lang and Bulaga — formed the best unit the team has had during two-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers' tenure as the starting quarterback.

Should Bulaga depart, the Packers would have to fill his right tackle spot with Don Barclay, a restricted free agent who is coming off a torn ACL himself but started in Bulaga's place after the 2012 and 2013 injuries; third-year lineman JC Tretter, who was set to be the starter at center before a preseason knee injury; or a lineman selected in the April 30-May 2 NFL Draft. Each of the past two years, a rookie — Bakhtiari in 2013, Linsley last season — has started on the Packers' offensive line.

"Obviously my relationship with these guys that I play with, it's great. Our families are very close — T.J., Josh, Dave, Corey, everyone's very close. It's a close group," Bulaga said on Jan. 19 as he cleaned out his locker following the team's season-ending loss to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game. "So from that standpoint, I mean, yeah, you'd love to stay next to the same guys for your entire career. You've seen what we've been able to do this season, just keeping guys together for consecutive games.

"But at the end of the day, you have to realize that this is a business on both ends. Whatever it is, we'll deal with it. We'll see what happens. I don't know what's going to happen."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

sschind
9 years ago
Not sure if I posted this in another thread or not but hopefully the Cobb signing has a trickle down effect.

If Bulaga sees that the Packrs are willing to work with Cobb and he sees that they are committed to keeping a winning team together he may decide to give the discount double check. He may also see the accolades Cobb is getting from the fans and think that it might be a nice feeling for him to feel so well loved. That's a little bit more of a stretch but to be loved and not vilified, which he will be in light of Cobb's "sacrifice," is an important motivator. Maybe not as important as several million dollars but important. I can imagine that two stars taking less to stay would be a huge boost in the locker room as well. These guys are going to want to say "see, I gave up more money and I am still giving you this. That's the kind of person I am"

Of course we are talking numbers about half of what Cobb got so that may be a factor as well. Giving up 2 when you will make 5 is not the same as giving up 2 when you make 10. When I saw those other two deals though I got a feeling it didn't bode well. I figured he would want more than that. Lets just hope that what he takes is less than what he wants.
lolleren
9 years ago
I'm thinking Bulaga's injury history could influence him to not leave money on the table, he knows how fragile the health of pro athletes are, and might not have the young person mind anymore than injury is someone elses problem.
His career might already be shortened by a few years by the injuries he suffered so far.
I do however really hope they work something out with him.

Cobb had his share of injury scares, but knees and bag/hip is normally more lingering than broken bones.
blank
Laser Gunns
9 years ago

I'm thinking Bulaga's injury history could influence him to not leave money on the table, he knows how fragile the health of pro athletes are, and might not have the young person mind anymore than injury is someone elses problem.
His career might already be shortened by a few years by the injuries he suffered so far.
I do however really hope they work something out with him.

Cobb had his share of injury scares, but knees and bag/hip is normally more lingering than broken bones.

Originally Posted by: lolleren 

Especially for lineman

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Bulaga seems to be the kind of guy who wouldn't want to leave Green Bay unless it's for another midwest area team. He isn't worthy of big money... his injury history is a major red flag. I'm sorry but you can't miss as much time as he has and expect big money. He's a RT and as the article noted we have other options.

So hard to gauge what happens in this case. I think he will sign elsewhere because the money will be that much better elsewhere. Never was a fan of BB. JC or DB are potentially as good or better. You gave RC the big money and sacrifices have to be made. I think he's one of them.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Bigbyfan
9 years ago
This report sounds eerily similar to the report of the Packers not wanting to sign Cobb for more than 8-9 mill a year. It's not a coincidence that this comes out right after the team gets done with Cobb. My guess is that this is just another game of chess between the packers and the agent. Packers end up resigning Bulaga before Tuesday.
blank
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

This report sounds eerily similar to the report of the Packers not wanting to sign Cobb for more than 8-9 mill a year. It's not a coincidence that this comes out right after the team gets done with Cobb. My guess is that this is just another game of chess between the packers and the agent. Packers end up resigning Bulaga before Tuesday.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

You may just be spot on.

Ted let's these guys explore their options, but he always seems to make them a fair offer and more times than not Ted gets his man.

I guess we will all find out soon enough.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
If BB is really attracting 7 million per offers, he ain't coming back here. This is Scott Wells all over. We like BB but we don't love him...some team loves Bulaga and he's a goner.

I thought 4 was fair for someone with his history but we're hearing 7? Big pass. No way you pay him anywhere near 7. I believe Ted Thompson is way too smart to cave on Bulaga with other options available. This situation has very few parallels to the Cobb situation.

Buh bye, Bryan... sit on IR for some other team.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
9 years ago
Bulaga will probably take his payday, it'll just be with another team. Barclay or Tretter will get the job done. And then of course, drafting a tackle by round 3 becomes important.
UserPostedImage
greengold
9 years ago
I really want Bulaga back. Looking around at other tackles I think he is easily worth $7M per year. Sure it would be nice to get him for less but I think it will take that to sign him.

Does anyone want to go back to Barclay starting at RT?

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

2h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.