luigis
9 years ago
It's a passing league and developing a very good CB takes time, this has been reflected in the amount of money that has been paid in FA to the good CBs that were available.

Now can someone tell me what is our plan? Because we only have Shields and Shields struggles against the big physical WRs. Hayward is really not good on the sides, the is barely ok on the slot and Hyde is really not an option as a CB.

Just imagine Shields get hurt. Do we start Hayward and Hyde in the sides and who in the slot?

We have played a season without a good RB and it didn't work, we have played a season with Md Jennings and McMillan as safeties and it didn't work. Are we just about to play a season without CBs?

Luis
steveishere
9 years ago
1. You've never even seen Hayward play outside so you have no idea how he is out there. People were saying the same things about Tramon when he only started off as a slot CB.
2. Hayward really is good in the slot
3. Hyde isn't great but he's fine as a slot CB
4. It's march, there's plenty of off season left
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
/\ #4 may be the wisest thing I've heard this month!
Dulak
9 years ago

It's a passing league and developing a very good CB takes time, this has been reflected in the amount of money that has been paid in FA to the good CBs that were available.

Now can someone tell me what is our plan? Because we only have Shields and Shields struggles against the big physical WRs. Hayward is really not good on the sides, the is barely ok on the slot and Hyde is really not an option as a CB.

Just imagine Shields get hurt. Do we start Hayward and Hyde in the sides and who in the slot?

We have played a season without a good RB and it didn't work, we have played a season with Md Jennings and McMillan as safeties and it didn't work. Are we just about to play a season without CBs?

Originally Posted by: luigis 

I admit Im a bit nervous about not having more then 1 starter corner ... we have bush but we all know hes not a great corner. I like tramon thought he was pretty good - we always stuck him or shields on their main guy.

Tramon has come along since al harris and woodson played the mains ... too bad hes gone.

luigis
9 years ago

I admit Im a bit nervous about not having more then 1 starter corner ... we have bush but we all know hes not a great corner. I like tramon thought he was pretty good - we always stuck him or shields on their main guy.

Tramon has come along since al harris and woodson played the mains ... too bad hes gone.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

I'm worried about losing Tramon and House because with their good and bad things they were CBs that could play. And they were completely different.

There are many positions where with some luck you can plug in a draftee and have a great success. But CB is not one of them. There's a huge difference between college and the NFL. It's also a very difficult position to draft as the variance is too high, your scouting evaluations might fail by a huge margin when evaluating a CB.

I know I'm extra concerned because I really really don't like Hayward. I know I'm a minority about this and I hope to be wrong.

I don't like Hayward because I think he is overrated by the interceptions he got as a rookie, I believe those were lucky picks, bad throws and deflections. I haven't seen Hayward cut a route or lure a QB to throw an interception.
I also see Hayward can't run along the fast WRs so I can't see him playing on the sides, he is not big enough to defend the back shoulder throws or a jump.
And finally I think Hayward is a poor tackler and I'm convinced he is afraid of contact. I hope to be wrong about the second thing and that the first thing will be improved with proper training.

I did like House because every time we put him against a good WR he run next to him like a stamp and defended many passes. He was in my humble view a very natural CB and he was only getting better.

So I'll be worried for a while.
Luis
steveishere
9 years ago
You seem a bit biased against Hayward for whatever reason considering House and Tramon were pretty bad tacklers yet you make no mention of it. Hayward didn't just get interceptions he's been great at defending passes and not allowing YAC or long catches to begin with. He's good at tackling receivers after they catch the ball and preventing them from getting to a first down. The only real knock on him is health and top speed.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
Do we invite Charles Tillman in for a look-see?
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

1. You've never even seen Hayward play outside so you have no idea how he is out there. People were saying the same things about Tramon when he only started off as a slot CB.
2. Hayward really is good in the slot
3. Hyde isn't great but he's fine as a slot CB
4. It's march, there's plenty of off season left

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I went to Google Chrome, and I can now "applaud" again. You get my first in a couple of months, Steve.

As losing Tramon got more likely, I got more comfortable with the idea. Hopefully Ted and Mike have confidence in Hayward. My concern with him is hamstrings - they tend to keep coming back. We also have Goodson who may or may not amount to anything, and this Glover-Wright kid. There also is a distinct possibility that a high draft pick will be used for a Corner, and Corners can often play pretty well their first year.

I have often criticized Ted Thompson, but in this case, I'm thinking/hoping he knew what he was doing (or not doing).

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy
9 years ago

I have often criticized Ted Thompson, but in this case, I'm thinking/hoping he knew what he was doing (or not doing).

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I don't know how much of this was a plan/vote of confidence with the current roster vs. Ted setting his price and not wanting to exceed it. As has been discussed a lot the last week, 6 and 7 mil was well above what most feel Davon and Tramon were worth.

This 2015 will be best available defender, not BAP.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
There are a few 2nd/3rd tier FA with lots of experience, I would expect at least one of them to be brought in. Fletcher, McClain, Cason. I expect a lot of single coverage for Shields, that is what he is getting paid for, and bracket coverage on the other side.

The success of the defense though depends on the front 6 or 7. Get to the passer quick so the secondary can press and doesn't have to cover long.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

13h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

14h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.