porky88
9 years ago
I don't think people realize just how good Casey Hayward is. The Packers have underutilized him for the last three years. He has the size and technique to play on the outside. I think this is a great opportunity for him to shine. Pending his health, I fully expect him to lead the team in interceptions next year.

Sam Shields and Hayward will play the outside and Micah Hyde will play the slot. That is a solid trio. The idea that you need to go four-deep at CB is silly. Few teams can go four-deep. Whoever the No. 4 guy is will be a developmental player. He'll likely be a rookie, as well. I do agree that they'll take a cornerback high, maybe even in the first round. Hayward is a free agent next offseason, and they need to make preparations in case he departs.

ILB and NT are the more dire positions. Who is the starting nose tackle?
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Yeah when you run a 3-4 defense you kind of have to know that! ... I think it is BJ Raji
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
9 years ago

Sam Shields and Hayward will play the outside and Micah Hyde will play the slot. That is a solid trio. The idea that you need to go four-deep at CB is silly.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I agree with most of what you said... but four deep at CB isn't silly... as sooner or later someshieldsbody is going to get banged up or hurt during the season and you're gonna need that fourth guy to step up and play.

In Shields 5 years he's played 15 games only once. So based on history it's very easy to suggest he could miss two games.

Also I remember an article written that basically said the Packers beat the Patriots because their depth at DB and the article made sense because the Packers could cover all the Patriots targets and the Patriots didn't have enough depth to keep Adams in check ... (so really it was the Patriots lack of depth, but the Packers had the depth to contain the Patriots (mostly) Gronk put up some number but less than 100 yards and the WRs were all kept under 50.)

UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
I don't think it's silly to want 4 decent CBs but you also can expect that 4th to be someone without a ton of experience like a 2nd or 3rd year player who hasn't started or a recent high draft pick rookie. That's the way we've mostly done business over the years and I don't expect it to be much different this year.

As far as the Patriots game a whole lot more went into it than just their CBs. Notably our offensive line dominated the whole game.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I admit Im a bit nervous about not having more then 1 starter corner ... we have bush but we all know hes not a great corner. I like tramon thought he was pretty good - we always stuck him or shields on their main guy.

Tramon has come along since al harris and woodson played the mains ... too bad hes gone.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

This won't make you feel warm and fuzzy, but Packers don't have Jarrett Bush either. He's a free agent, lol. (I think)

Defensive Backs
[list=1]
  • Shields, Sam
  • Hayward, Casey
  • Hyde, Micah
  • Burnett, Morgan
  • Clinton-Dix, Ha Ha
  • Goodson, Demetri
  • Glover-Wright, Tay
  • [*]Fanor, Jean [/list]
    UserPostedImage
    hardrocker950
    9 years ago

This won't make you feel warm and fuzzy, but Packers don't have Jarrett Bush either. He's a free agent, lol. (I think)

Defensive Backs
    [list=1]

• Shields, Sam
  • Hayward, Casey
  • Hyde, Micah
  • Burnett, Morgan
  • Clinton-Dix, Ha Ha
  • Goodson, Demetri
  • Glover-Wright, Tay
  • Fanor, Jean [/list]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

• While I think losing Williams hurts us at CB, I don't think this team is "doomed" because of it. Shields is still on the team, Hayward is no slouch, Goodson might show something, and Hyde is able to play multiple positions.

Combine the above and consider that Ted may find a cherry in the draft - I find the situation at ILB more disturbing at this point.
    musccy
    9 years ago

While I think losing Williams hurts us at CB, I don't think this team is "doomed" because of it. Shields is still on the team, Hayward is no slouch, Goodson might show something, and Hyde is able to play multiple positions.

Combine the above and consider that Ted may find a cherry in the draft - I find the situation at ILB more disturbing at this point.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

UserPostedImage

porky88
    9 years ago

I agree with most of what you said... but four deep at CB isn't silly... as sooner or later someshieldsbody is going to get banged up or hurt during the season and you're gonna need that fourth guy to step up and play.

In Shields 5 years he's played 15 games only once. So based on history it's very easy to suggest he could miss two games.

Also I remember an article written that basically said the Packers beat the Patriots because their depth at DB and the article made sense because the Packers could cover all the Patriots targets and the Patriots didn't have enough depth to keep Adams in check ... (so really it was the Patriots lack of depth, but the Packers had the depth to contain the Patriots (mostly) Gronk put up some number but less than 100 yards and the WRs were all kept under 50.)

Originally Posted by: beast 

The reason I call it silly is that it is so rare for a team to have the kind of depth the Packers had a year ago. Eventually, someone was going to pay these guys. You can’t make it last forever. The 2011 receiving corps is another example.

Look at how the Packers built their corner depth. Williams and Shields were undrafted free agents. Well, they signed Williams after the Texans cut him but the point is that neither was a major signing. Hayward, Hyde, and House were all draft picks.

Is it unreasonable to expect Thompson to pluck a cornerback out of the draft this year? Maybe he found that guy last year in Demetri Goodson.
    nerdmann
    9 years ago

The reason I call it silly is that it is so rare for a team to have the kind of depth the Packers had a year ago. Eventually, someone was going to pay these guys. You can’t make it last forever. The 2011 receiving corps is another example.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Which is why it's so important to play up to the team's potential and not piss SB opportunities away.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    sschind
    9 years ago

lol I'm just saying be fair. If you want to compare 2 players don't say one guy is bad because of whatever reason and make it a big deal then ignore it if the guy you like more is also bad at that.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I get it. yeah, its kind of amazing what is important to fans regarding one player suddenly becomes less so when its their favorite player that is involved in the same thing or performs in the same way ( to keep it about on field production) Or should I say something similar because in their minds it is never the same. It's always worse with the player they like least.
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (16h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (19h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    beast (22h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
    dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
    dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
    Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
    Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
    dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
    dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
    packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
    beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.