Barfarn
9 years ago

That isn't the point and never was...the point is Ted Thompson had CJ Wilson ahead of Sam Shields and very well could've seen him get drafted in the last 25 left in the 7th and that is not even mentioning the risk of him being a FREE AGENT who could sign with whomever he wanted. He's a Miami kid and he's just going to pick Green Bay? He went for opportunity and the money not necessarily in that order.

The way it's told here Ted Thompson is a genius...he just knew Sam would fall to him at the UDFA pool and then he would automatically sign with us. Ain't even close to reality.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Ted Thompson did not have CJ Wilson rated ahead of Shields. If you learn how GMs, especially TT, do their job it would help you on your Blues-Brothers-type Mission from God to rid the universe of Packer Fans that nonsensically gush over TT. BTW, I know and met many and read several Packer Boards for a # of years and I have yet to see any Packer Fan nonsensically gushing over TT. You should question either the mission or the God that sent you on it.

You envision Ted Thompson drafting like you would, knowing what you know. You find a draftnik top 100 and if at pick #62, Ted Thompson takes #63, you’ll scream REACH! All your instincts of how a draft should be conducted are just wrong and this is why you have such difficulty accurately evaluating them. You dont understand tiers, you dont understand how scouts develop relationships, you dont understand how GMs/scouts gather intel on what other teams are thinking and because you dont understand it, you deny its reality. Please pay attention and learn a nugget or two:

In reality, at this point in the draft Ted Thompson will have between 10-50 players in a tier. CJ and Shields were in the same tier, no one rated higher than the other. Ted Thompson then sorted through several variables to determine who’s picked: special teams play; depth of team’s position group; is there an outstanding trait; max upside; who, if not picked can likely or less likely be signed as an UDFA; etc. The Packers had been gushing over Sammy for a year since he was converted to CB at Miami’s spring game. Shields was a 4.3 WR that could not get on the field because he could not grasp the playbook; a very poor candidate to learn a new position so late. He had a daughter at 17 and another 3 years later; suspended twice for academics and was arrested for pot a week before his pro day. Eliot was the only one on the Sammy trail until he ran that 4.3 at his pro day, then the pretender GMs took notice. Ted Thompson saw his HUGE upside; he was a good gunner and ran a 4.3 at a position of need; and Ted Thompson was assured Sammy was not a character risk despite a resume to the contrary. There is NO WAY Ted Thompson passes on Shields if he is not assured he’s signing as an UDFA, just like Wolf w/ Driver, only difference is Driver gave no assurance like Sammy did, so Ron had to draft him.

Again Ted Thompson did know Shields wouldn't be drafted; just like he knew Worthy/Reyes/Still wouldn’t last ‘til 2nd round pick; just like he knew CM3 was about to be picked; just like Wolf knew Driver wouldn't be drafted. And sure other teams are going to want a 4.3 UDFA to kick the tires on; but Ted Thompson knew he'd get "last look," which happened: The Pack offered 5K, it was I believe the Bears that offered 7,500; Ted Thompson matched it and Shields came to GB; just as Ted Thompson stellarly anticipated.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

TT did not have CJ Wilson rated ahead of Shields. If you learn how GMs, especially TT, do their job it would help you on your Blues-Brothers-type Mission from God to rid the universe of Packer Fans that nonsensically gush over TT. BTW, I know and met many and read several Packer Boards for a # of years and I have yet to see any Packer Fan nonsensically gushing over TT. You should question either the mission or the God that sent you on it.

You envision Ted Thompson drafting like you would, knowing what you know. You find a draftnik top 100 and if at pick #62, Ted Thompson takes #63, you’ll scream REACH! All your instincts of how a draft should be conducted are just wrong and this is why you have such difficulty accurately evaluating them. You dont understand tiers, you dont understand how scouts develop relationships, you dont understand how GMs/scouts gather intel on what other teams are thinking and because you dont understand it, you deny its reality. Please pay attention and learn a nugget or two:

In reality, at this point in the draft Ted Thompson will have between 10-50 players in a tier. CJ and Shields were in the same tier, no one rated higher than the other. Ted Thompson then sorted through several variables to determine who’s picked: special teams play; depth of team’s position group; is there an outstanding trait; max upside; who, if not picked can likely or less likely be signed as an UDFA; etc. The Packers had been gushing over Sammy for a year since he was converted to CB at Miami’s spring game. Shields was a 4.3 WR that could not get on the field because he could not grasp the playbook; a very poor candidate to learn a new position so late. He had a daughter at 17 and another 3 years later; suspended twice for academics and was arrested for pot a week before his pro day. Eliot was the only one on the Sammy trail until he ran that 4.3 at his pro day, then the pretender GMs took notice. Ted Thompson saw his HUGE upside; he was a good gunner and ran a 4.3 at a position of need; and Ted Thompson was assured Sammy was not a character risk despite a resume to the contrary. There is NO WAY Ted Thompson passes on Shields if he is not assured he’s signing as an UDFA, just like Wolf w/ Driver, only difference is Driver gave no assurance like Sammy did, so Ron had to draft him.

Again Ted Thompson did know Shields wouldn't be drafted; just like he knew Worthy/Reyes/Still wouldn’t last ‘til 2nd round pick; just like he knew CM3 was about to be picked; just like Wolf knew Driver wouldn't be drafted. And sure other teams are going to want a 4.3 UDFA to kick the tires on; but Ted Thompson knew he'd get "last look," which happened: The Pack offered 5K, it was I believe the Bears that offered 7,500; Ted Thompson matched it and Shields came to GB; just as Ted Thompson stellarly anticipated.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Total nonsense. You're saying TT, or someone from the Packers org tampered with Shields? Why pay him 7500 signing bonus, if you were so sure he was going to be yours prior to getting to the negotiating point during the draft.

Plus, you, for all your loquaciousness, seem to have forgotten that there are hundreds of guys who renege on deals right after the draft...guys change their minds all the time, but you know more about the draft than me...that I'm sure of.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
9 years ago

Total nonsense. You're saying TT, or someone from the Packers org tampered with Shields? Why pay him 7500 signing bonus, if you were so sure he was going to be yours prior to getting to the negotiating point during the draft.

Plus, you, for all your loquaciousness, seem to have forgotten that there are hundreds of guys who renege on deals right after the draft...guys change their minds all the time, but you know more about the draft than me...that I'm sure of.

TOTAL POPPYCOCK...LOL

Read again please: Ted Thompson knew he'd get "last look;" Bears offered 7.5K; Ted Thompson matched. That is why 7.5K was paid, which is high for TT.

Part of being a man is acting honorably and successfully evaluating the honor in others and is a quality that Ted Thompson and his staff possess. Sammy was correctly judged a man of honor by Ted Thompson and his staff. And as stated in my allegedly "loquacious [Better words would be: wordy, verbose, voluminous, prolix]" post above and having analyzed many of your responses you tend to assume that your belief system and values are the same in all of us. This is why you think your opinion is ipso facto persuasive and requires no supporting facts or authority. This is also why you cant comprehend two men making a deal and keeping it and why you would misrepresent that I said Ted Thompson tampered w/ Shields and provided no basis for such a statement.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

TOTAL POPPYCOCK...LOL

Read again please: Ted Thompson knew he'd get "last look;" Bears offered 7.5K; Ted Thompson matched. That is why 7.5K was paid, which is high for TT.

Part of being a man is acting honorably and successfully evaluating the honor in others and is a quality that Ted Thompson and his staff possess. Sammy was correctly judged a man of honor by Ted Thompson and his staff. And as stated in my allegedly "loquacious [Better words would be: wordy, verbose, voluminous, prolix]" post above and having analyzed many of your responses you tend to assume that your belief system and values are the same in all of us. This is why you think your opinion is ipso facto persuasive and requires no supporting facts or authority. This is also why you cant comprehend two men making a deal and keeping it and why you would misrepresent that I said Ted Thompson tampered w/ Shields and provided no basis for such a statement.

I have never seen anyone make so many assumptions. What supporting "facts" do you have? Oh, you "verbosely" state what happened with Ted Thompson and Sam Shields as if you were there. As if you knew the mind of Sam and the mind of TT. I don't care if you were either one, you still wouldn't know for certain what the other party was going to do.

No response to the tampering charge? Just gloss right over as if that isn't part of the scenario you tried BS'ing your way though.

Man of honor? Ted Thompson knows this quality? Oh, so there's never been a dishonorable man in Green Bay? What about the incident that Clay Matthews was a part of involving those strippers that got swept under the rug? Hey, the cover up was great...give that oft injured guy a huge contract extension because he's Packer people. Yup...let the cult sing...koombaya...koombaya.... dixie cups up.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
9 years ago
Barfarn, I'd say its a bit much to say Ted Thompson knew these players would fall or would not fall. I'm sure they had reasons to believe a player may or may not fall, educated guesses based on what intel they could gather. But it's still a bit much to say he knew for sure how far a player may or may not fall.
Born and bred a cheesehead
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

TOTAL POPPYCOCK...LOL

Are you recently retired? Recent lottery winner?

Why else would someone waste time developing a well thought out point just to wrestle with pigs?

Good luck! But you're wasting time and energy trying to convince Chicken Little the sky is not falling.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Barfarn, I'd say its a bit much to say Ted Thompson knew these players would fall or would not fall. I'm sure they had reasons to believe a player may or may not fall, educated guesses based on what intel they could gather. But it's still a bit much to say he knew for sure how far a player may or may not fall.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I think Ted Thompson is a risk taker, but a calculated risk taker. I've spent more time on this subject than I cared to. I'm gonna go onto other things because some folks just do not want hear the other side of the debate with openness.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

MI, I think that's fair. The English language is such a pain in the arse...LOL

Well if you go back, the clarifying phrase used earlier was: "knew to a reasonable degree of certainty;" but that's alot to type over and over again as Uffda executes his mission from God to flambé Ted Thompson at every turn, LOL. I'll continue only to alleviate Uffda's incessant harping on the subject.

Colloquially, the word "know" is often used in context of future events and it's intuitively implied by the communicator and inferred by the communicatee as NOT meaning an absolute certainty. EG, if asked, in what order will 5 tasks be performed, a response might be, "not sure, but I know that first task will be X." More subtly one might ask where you going? Answer: "to K-Mart." What is being communicated is "I know I'm going to K-mart." Again everyone instinctively understands there are thousands of unpredictable events that could interfere w/ the "knowledge" that one will be doing task X or driving to K-Mart because it’s in context of a future event.

Right now Ted Thompson doesn't "know" who will be there at 30; he can only postulate or take an educated guess. But, when NE was on the clock at 26 in 2009; Ted Thompson was not postulating, assuming, believing or taking an educated guess that someone was gonna take CM3. There was critical factual intel invoking extremely strong predictive indicators that CM3’s pick was imminent. These factual predictive indicators were just as strong as one saying, I know I'm going to K-mart. Ted Thompson "knew" he better act or he'd lose CM3.

You must look at Shields based on what was known in 2010. It's actually amazing that Ted Thompson would pay a bonus, let alone a relatively huge bonus for TT, given Shields' résumé. Eliot saw something really special in Sammy, above and beyond what the average scout sees and TT, working against every instinct he has, trusted Eliot's knowledge on the subject. Now was this because Eliot has special skills; or was he super tuned into Sammy; or did GB’s connections w/ Miami gave them kinda like “insider’s trading” insights? Or was it all three? TT’s belief that Shields would not be drafted was not postulation; the FACTS created predictive indicators that metamorphosed TT's belief into "knowledge." He "knew" that Shields would not be drafted and that he'd get a chance to match any offer as an UDFA.

Now, could an unpredictable event interfere with Ted Thompson “knowledge” of a future event, sure! Maybe right after Al Davis picks Stevie Brown at #251, a scout shows Davis Shields’ 40 is a typo, 5.28 to 4.28. Davis pounds his fist on the table and yells “curses” and trades a 2011 1st rounder for pick #252 and grabs Shields.
Barfarn
9 years ago

Are you recently retired? Recent lottery winner?

Why else would someone waste time developing a well thought out point just to wrestle with pigs?

Good luck! But you're wasting time and energy trying to convince Chicken Little the sky is not falling.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

LOL, quite true..."to argue w/ a fool proves there are two." Doris Smith

But, he is a Packer Brethren and ya gotta kinda feel sorry for a person who needs such attention or a linguistics lesson every now and then. LOL Ya cant convince someone that came to a belief through childish irrationality w/ rational argument; but, much of mine [and others] writing is about [what I think are interesting] historical facts and insights. Incorporating UDFAs in draft grades is interesting debate and the corollary Shields story is a good one about not only TT, but our next GM. And the Favre story and notion that Ted Thompson is 1000% more conservative than Ron Wolf, looks true on the surface; but discussion showing similarities is interesting.

Of course these discussions would have been more fruitful w/o purposeful sabotage.
Barfarn
9 years ago

No response to the tampering charge? Just gloss right over as if that isn't part of the scenario you tried BS'ing your way though.

You asked if i was saying Ted Thompson was tampering with Shields...I answered quite emphatically "NO."

This is directed to no one in particular. LOL If one is trying to receive a response by making a charge through innuendo in question form. I'd offer this quote:

"Speak straightforwardly like a man and quit whispering your thoughts through a paper a$$hole" - Barfarn

[Now that's pretty funny, LOL]
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (7h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (10h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.