uffda udfa
8 years ago

Right. 😕 You said he wasn't a legitimate #3 wide receiver, but you never actually used the word "sucks."

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Where did I say he wasn't a legit #3?...he's suited well for that role. A run of the mill possession WR.

EVERYONE should desire unique athleticism from ALL our players. Would you rather have it than not? Not sure what I'm getting hammered for desiring a guy who compares favorably to Julio Jones over a guy who is just like untold numbers of WR's before him? Shame on me.

Welcome back, Dakota...this is a better place with you here.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

Where did I say he wasn't a legit #3?...

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Not once but twice. How quickly you forget.

Yeah, Rodgers is to blame...he's playing on one leg vs. the best D in the NFL with no legit TE or 3rd WR. Pin it on him because it fits with Ted Thompson being all world as a GM. The one SB we did win was due to Rodgers playing out of his mind.

Davante wasn't a legit 3rd...that guy regressed at the end when we needed him most. Perhaps, he hit the wall...I don't know but he was nothing vs. Seattle's secondary. He played well in a few spots...not a consistent performer.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Not once but twice. How quickly you forget.

In my defense, he is pretty forgettable. He was anything but legit in that game.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

Who was James Jones behind when he didn't measure up to Davante's numbers like you said? He outdid Davante's numbers behind Jennings and Driver.

You seem to forget that Davante played in an O with a real running game something the others didn't. That opens things.

Steve...Janis looked special doing something on an NFL field. Davante never has.

First ya gotta get the facts straight on rookie WRs:

G. Jennings had the decidedly worst rookie year [73 PR; 104 targets was a lot for his production]; but he was thrust into the #2 WR early.

Cobb was 4th WR and 5th option behind Finley; he had best rook year [127 PR]; but as 5th option he was ONLY utilized in packages specifically designed for him.

Jordy was a #4- the three in front had 256 targets [93 PR]

J.Jones was a #3; but DD and GJ missed 5 games giving him more opps.; the two in front only had 206 targets [94 PR]

Adams was a #3; But JN and RC had 278 targets ahead of him [93 PR].

Run game in:
2007 345 for 1543 for 4.47 avg
2014 382 for 1658 for 4.34 avg

The 2007 run game for Jones was more efficient than the 2014 run game for Adams; so if your argument holds true, The run game advantaged Jones more than Adams. Moreover, the run game in 2014 took away 37 more targets from the 2014 WRs than the 2007 WRs.

You must have been on a cruise in San Fransisco Bay when Al Davis' ashes were scattered there; you imbibed his affinity for measurables. They mean nothing if owned by a guy who cant play football or can't play football as well as others.

The difference between 4.3 and 4.5 in shorts, from a track start, starting when you want is meaningless. Once the pads go on w/ no track starts and you must react to a snap; mental preparedness is what determines speed. A 4.4 guy who reacts 1/4 sec. slower than the 4.9 guy across from him is really a 4.65 guy.

And please enough w/ using Combine 40s, like they were given to Goodell by a burning bush on Mt Sinai several millennia ago! Hayward consistently ran low 4.4s...Hayward is a low 4.4 guy who just happened to run a 4.57 at combine. Jerry Rice is a mid 4.5 guy who ran a 4.71 at combine. A person's speed is defined by how fast they are [LOL, now look what you did-you made sound like Yogi Berra]; not necessarily the time they ran at a combine.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

You gotta fire that camera man. I felt as though I was watching hockey back in the 70's. 😁 😁 😁

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It was just some fan with his phone I am guessing, lol.

As for the play itself. It was a helluva play that was recognized on sports shows. Displaying track speed outrunning people flat out is nothing special. The world is full of extremely straight line speed athletes. How many of them can catch a ball, juke someone stiff and out run four defenders to score a touchdown? You want players who can create space and that is what Davante Adams does. Similar to Sterling Sharpe. No, he is no where near Sharpe, he's just the first that came to mind that was not fast, yet could get yards after the catch with power.

I'm not saying Jeff Janis play was garbage, but it was against a team that won just six games against players that weren't even good enough to make that team's roster. Davante Adams play came in the POST SEASON against a team playing it's starters that won 12 games that season.

To say Janis play was more than Adams is just not really a clear objective opinion, from where I stand anyhow.

I would lean more to Adams being a solid 2nd round pick. If he continues to ascend, then maybe he'll be a steal. I don't see him ascending to the starters unless Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb leave.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

First ya gotta get the facts straight on rookie WRs:

G. Jennings had the decidedly worst rookie year [73 PR; 104 targets was a lot for his production]; but he was thrust into the #2 WR early.

Cobb was 4th WR and 5th option behind Finley; he had best rook year [127 PR]; but as 5th option he was ONLY utilized in packages specifically designed for him.

Jordy was a #4- the three in front had 256 targets [93 PR]

J.Jones was a #3; but DD and GJ missed 5 games giving him more opps.; the two in front only had 206 targets [94 PR]

Adams was a #3; But JN and RC had 278 targets ahead of him [93 PR].

Run game in:
2007 345 for 1543 for 4.47 avg
2014 382 for 1658 for 4.34 avg

The 2007 run game for Jones was more efficient than the 2014 run game for Adams; so if your argument holds true, The run game advantaged Jones more than Adams. Moreover, the run game in 2014 took away 37 more targets from the 2014 WRs than the 2007 WRs.

You must have been on a cruise in San Fransisco Bay when Al Davis' ashes were scattered there; you imbibed his affinity for measurables. They mean nothing if owned by a guy who cant play football or can't play football as well as others.

The difference between 4.3 and 4.5 in shorts, from a track start, starting when you want is meaningless. Once the pads go on w/ no track starts and you must react to a snap; mental preparedness is what determines speed. A 4.4 guy who reacts 1/4 sec. slower than the 4.9 guy across from him is really a 4.65 guy.

And please enough w/ using Combine 40s, like they were given to Goodell by a burning bush on Mt Sinai several millennia ago! Hayward consistently ran low 4.4s...Hayward is a low 4.4 guy who just happened to run a 4.57 at combine. Jerry Rice is a mid 4.5 guy who ran a 4.71 at combine. A person's speed is defined by how fast they are [LOL, now look what you did-you made sound like Yogi Berra]; not necessarily the time they ran at a combine.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I love your posts Barfarn but I don't like when you hold back for trying to make a point. You know full well that defenses play the run more with Eddie Lacy in the Packers backfield than they did back when James Jones was a rookie. Of course, when a defense is more focused on the run it's harder to run against it. It isn't about run average, it's about defensive commitment.

You really seem dismissive of 40 times when they aren't flattering to our players. It is, has been, and will continue being a major measure used by NFL scouts and GM's who are paid good money to find the right guys. There are examples of slower players performing quite well...Emmitt, Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, etc...but if you had to choose, you would hope all your skill guys ran 4.3 vs. 4.4 or 4.5 or higher. How many times do you hear... He WOULD'VE gone a lot higher had her run better in Indianapolis?
UserPostedImage

DoddPower
8 years ago

There are examples of slower players performing quite well...Emmitt, Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, etc...but if you had to choose, you would hope all your skill guys ran 4.3 vs. 4.4 or 4.5 or higher. How many times do you hear... He WOULD'VE gone a lot higher had her run better in Indianapolis?

If I had to choose, I would want the better football player, whether that means great or average measurables.

DoddPower
8 years ago

I would lean more to Adams being a solid 2nd round pick. If he continues to ascend, then maybe he'll be a steal. I don't see him ascending to the starters unless Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb leave.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As long as he continues to develop, he'll be better than James Jones but not as good as Jordy Nelson.

greengold
8 years ago

You really seem dismissive of 40 times when they aren't flattering to our players. It is, has been, and will continue being a major measure used by NFL scouts and GM's who are paid good money to find the right guys.

A players 40 time in shorts at the combine matters... UNTIL HE IS DRAFTED. The players we are talking about ARE ALREADY IN THE NFL. How they run today in full pads while catching or carrying a football is all that matters now.

Speaking of dismissive of measurables that aren't flattering to your favorite players... Jeff Janis is a full grown man. His hand size is a finite number that won't ever change when he puts the pads on. 8o

uffda udfa
8 years ago

A players 40 time in shorts at the combine matters... UNTIL HE IS DRAFTED. The players we are talking about ARE ALREADY IN THE NFL. How they run today in full pads while catching or carrying a football is all that matters now.

Speaking of dismissive of measurables that aren't flattering to your favorite players... Jeff Janis is a full grown man. His hand size is a finite number that won't ever change when he puts the pads on. 8o

Yup...his hand size will always be the same as Davante's. 9 inches. Janis is bigger faster stronger and if they can build him into a real WR, maybe one day he'll be a six million dollar man like Steve Austin.

I'm not really sure what your point is on 40 times is? It remains as I said... guys who are paid a lot of money draft players higher with better 40 times. They have for years and it will be the same in the future. Pan the 40 all you like. You all would wish our skill players ran 4.3 instead of 4.5 or 4.6.
UserPostedImage