nerdmann
8 years ago

I agree. He seems to join a long line of somewhat average receiving TEs we've had in the last couple of years. Nothing that really stands out, besides having decent height/weight. Donald Lee, David Martin, Andrew Quarless...

I agree. The two problems I see right now are that every 2nd team seems to be looking for a guy like that and this draft doesn't contain a Gronkowski (but really, how many drafts do?)

A part from Hunter Henry, though, this TE class looks weak as can be. Maybe Austin Hooper is an upgrade over Rodgers, but the other TEs in this draft will be nothing more than average, either.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

GUARANTEED Ted has a list of unheralded guys.

Still, it's gonna take a year for a rookie to get up to speed. Maybe two.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
8 years ago

GUARANTEED Ted has a list of unheralded guys.

Still, it's gonna take a year for a rookie to get up to speed. Maybe two.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You mean guys like Ryan Taylor, D.J. Williams and Andrew Quarless?

I don't doubt that they have a couple of guys on their radar, but the gems we're looking for just haven't been there in the later rounds or as UDFA. Or, at least, we haven't picked them up.

This situation reminds me a lot of when we couldn't seem to find an OLB opposite of Clay. We passed on every single DE/OLB we could get year, year out, settling for guys like Zombo, Obiozor, So'oto, Briggs and Moses. And I got excited about every single one of them every year, while none of them made any sort of impact eventually.

Firstly, you should never draft for need, but you can hope to find diamonds in the rough later on. What you certainly can't do is try to fill big holes in your team with guys in later rounds and just gamble that they'll step up. It seems to be the way we're operating, though, with signings like Peppers being the exception to the rule.
Pack93z
8 years ago

I agree. The two problems I see right now are that every 2nd team seems to be looking for a guy like that and this draft doesn't contain a Gronkowski (but really, how many drafts do?)

A part from Hunter Henry, though, this TE class looks weak as can be. Maybe Austin Hooper is an upgrade over Rodgers, but the other TEs in this draft will be nothing more than average, either.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Want a later round sleeper of a Tight End Project... a pass catching threat... would not be an inline prospect coming out although he has blocked a fair share in college. Tanner McEvoy out of Wisconsin. Played a wide array of positions.. including WR. 6-6... 225 to 230ish. Not fast enough for the perimeter in the NFL.. but would tax most Backers in coverage. Physical enough as he played safety as well in college.

A guy that would be limited in sets early in his career... but runs decent routes and knows a bit of what a QB needs out of their targets as he also played QB. Versatile player... would be a good special teamer out of the gate.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
sschind
8 years ago
Part of the problem with TE's is that they come in 2 types. The pass catching WR type who will wow you with stats and acrobatic catches (Gronk, Kelce, Olsen, Eifert, Graham and that guy in Washington spring to mind) and the type that are not that type. Everybody wants one of the former type but there are not that many around. If you have one of those, chances are he is either the #1 or #2 pass catching option on your team. If you have three or 4 really good WRs and add in a really good pass catching RB your TE may be the 4th or even 5th receiving option on your team. If your receivers and RB have a down year your 4th or 5th receiving option becomes even more important and when he doesn't step up he looks even more pedestrian in comparison.

I think that's what happened with the Packers an RR last season. He was never going to be more than the 4 or 5th pass catching threat on the team and if guys in front of him would have produced like we expected RRs shortcomings would have been far less obvious. Who knows, if the guys in front of him in the pass catching pecking order would have performed up to expectations maybe RR's numbers would not have been so pedestrian.

A lot has been said about the Packers needing a big, fast TE who can jump 4 feet into the the air and catch anything that comes within 5 yards but do they really NEED that guy? No doubt that guy would be nice and I wouldn't complain if we found him somewhere but I have other concerns about our passing game that goes beyond our TE. Obviously I would like to see THAT TE in Green Bay and I would like to see our receivers get back to what they were the year before but like I said in another post, might have been on another forum, If my choices were the Packers passing game, minus the TE, of 2014 and Richard Rodgers or the Packers passing game, minus the TE, of 2015, and the best TE in the game, I'd go for the former in a heartbeat.

IMO Rodgers will be a more than adequate TE if the rest of the Packers passing game comes around and if the rest of the Packers passing game doesn't come around I don't know how much that stud TE will help.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind that TE that Uffda is calling for. He would be a great benefit to our team but IMO it is not the most important issue we have right now. Two things I would like to see addressed before the TE position would be ILB, we need a guy that can be a sideline to sideline player and not be a hindrance in pass coverage and a second pass rusher to pair with Clay be it another OLB or a D-lineman. After seeing what Denver did to the Panthers and after seeing the Packers defense become its saving grace, if there was one, this past season I'm convinced that a top 5 defense and an average offense will take you further than and average defense and a top 5 offense. Even without an improved TE I think the Packers have a better than average offense so if they can boost their defense it will help more than boosting their offense.

That said, if Ted Thompson decides to go after a guy like Ladarius Green in FA or take Hunter Henry in the draft I won't complain. Its not our biggest area of need but a better player at the position would make us better an that is what the off season is for.
blueleopard
8 years ago
Richard Rodgers is only good when he's wide open. He's not gonna burn anybody and he doesn't scare anybody.

We're better off bringing back Colt Lyerla.

I love RR as much as the next guy, but there's nothing dynamic about him. He's not Finley and he isn't even Donald Lee.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

IMO Rodgers will be a more than adequate TE if the rest of the Packers passing game comes around and if the rest of the Packers passing game doesn't come around I don't know how much that stud TE will help.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

My big concern is it appears we have nobody to exploit the middle of the field. Perhaps when Cobb comes back to being the slot guy with Jordy taking the heat, but all I see is sideline play after sideline play. I agree it may be tough to find the type of TE we are all talking about, but if we don't get one, we better get a WR who can open the middle instead.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Don't forget Finley was nothing special for most of his first two years. Most important thing whether we find a new TE or not is McCarthy needs to get back to running short routes that cross the middle of the field. If not, it won't make much of a difference.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Yerko
8 years ago

Without paging through the back and forth in the thread... I think RR is part of the solution, but probably not the total solution. I think if he worked in a tandem with a Tight End that can apply pressure to the seams of a defense would be ideal.

This year really exposed the Packers tight ends because we lacked players on the edges that could beat coverage consistently... thus not putting pressure on the safeties and backers to fill voids... and without a threat from the tight end position to place vertical pressure on the defense, you had what we seen... very small or non existent throwing lanes. He didn't scare anyone into paying him anymore attention than to single cover him.

RR is a fine player... but there are fundamental deficiencies in his game, the Packers would benefit from a tight end that could provide that vertical threat which would benefit the second tight end as well and the edges of the offense.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I just posted this exact thing in the Kiper draft thread. I don't dislike Rodgers but his deficiencies make it clear that he is not a #1 TE. Richard Rodgers would work better in this offense if he had someone (Jermichael-like) running routes, extending the field and demanding top coverage. At this time, Rodgers is only demanding coverage from a linebacker and sometimes not even the best LB on the field. This is why I wouldn't mind the Packers taking Hunter Henry in the 1st round or going after a free agent like Ladarius Green.

Using the Detroit game for this thread makes sense to prove your point, Barfan. I don't blame you for going that route. However, he was inefficient (as well as the rest of our offense) in other games throughout the season. His next best game was a 59 yard game against the Vikings.

I'm not calling him a bad tight end but he is average.
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

My big concern is it appears we have nobody to exploit the middle of the field. Perhaps when Cobb comes back to being the slot guy with Jordy taking the heat, but all I see is sideline play after sideline play. I agree it may be tough to find the type of TE we are all talking about, but if we don't get one, we better get a WR who can open the middle instead.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

That is a legit concern and in my conception of it all Cobb will become that threat once again. I may be wrong but Its what I obviously hope will happen and its what I think will happen.
DakotaT
8 years ago
How about the GBPs start putting weapons on the field at every position possible? I hate this thread because it is just another feeble attempt to try and make a star out of mediocrity. RR has good hands and is an adequate blocker. That is it, nothing more needs to be said. He can't break a tackle and can't outrun anybody. At best he is a #2 tight end in this league. If he catches two passes a game and gets a first down, damn, he did his job.

Would everybody please quit trying to make this kid into something he isn't. With his skill level, he should have been a sixth rounder, not a third. Thanks Ted.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (16h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (18h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (20h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (20h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (20h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.