nerdmann
8 years ago

I totally agree with your post, but do you think we draft a TE now based on what we currently have on the roster? If we draft a TE do we cut Perillo or Backman? Don't know if we can PS either or both of them.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

If Henry falls to us in the 2nd, Ted takes him.

It's not whether or not we take one, it's whether the value is there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

I totally agree with your post, but do you think we draft a TE now based on what we currently have on the roster? If we draft a TE do we cut Perillo or Backman? Don't know if we can PS either or both of them.

If Henry falls to us in the 2nd, Ted takes him.

It's not whether or not we take one, it's whether the value is there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The Packers have kept four TEs before, and could do it again... especially if their is only one FB.

As for who gets cut, I'd look to last year, they kept Backman for his his raw potential over Perillo and probably would do it again especially if their are better TEs above, as Backman would probably win the ST battles now that he figured it out last year. Henry might be an interesting mix to also throw in there.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

I doubt Cook is the long-term answer at TE (although, he could be, at least for a few years), so they will have to keep searching. But at least Cook provides a band aid which gives the Packers longer to figure it out. Sometimes, kicking the can down the road is about as much as a team can ask for. All needs can't be addressed in one off season.
Dulak
8 years ago

I heard Ted Thompson wanted to sign Cook to a two year deal, but Cook wanted a one year deal and a chance at a more lucrative contract next year. I also read that he wanted to go to the best possible team with the best possible QB. Apparently there was interest from at least three other teams. I love these low risk moves. It probably doesn't "solve" the tight end position for the long run, but it's a nice band aid until something else can be figured out, hopefully through the draft. I think that's how free agency should work, especially when it doesn't cost compensatory draft picks. Use free agency as a band aid on obviously weak positions and then draft the best players available in the draft and develop them. That's the winning formula, imo.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Sounds like a good move on his part - Great QB and just ok TE roster.

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I've read a few places saying Jared Cook has the dropsies, yet he had 4 last season and had just a ~5% drop percent. Much like I wrote weeks/months back about the need for a good tight end. The simple THREAT of Jared Cook will open the field for the receivers, just like Jermichael Finley did.

I like to think this is a good signing, but since the league seems to have figured out our offense, it won't make any difference. If the playcalling isn't switched up and some new wrinkles put in, we're looking at third place.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

When you have an offensive line that's filled with JAG's and only serviceable when fully healthy and missing your only deep threat while your 2nd best receiving threat has a bum shoulder and you have another receiver trying to tough out a wicked hamstring pull ... yeah your offense is going to be "figured" out and that doesn't even mention things like your out of conditioned running back or slower than rolling rock tight end, lol.

UserPostedImage
musccy
8 years ago

I doubt Cook is the long-term answer at TE (although, he could be, at least for a few years), so they will have to keep searching. But at least Cook provides a band aid which gives the Packers longer to figure it out. Sometimes, kicking the can down the road is about as much as a team can ask for. All needs can't be addressed in one off season.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Not sure if Paul Imig knows his butt from a hole in the ground, but yesterday he claims this will be part of a 3-4 year project for Cook in GB. Who knows.

That said, this contract, and the reports of denying a 2nd year make it pretty clear he's in this for big money in 2017.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I've read a few places saying Jared Cook has the dropsies, yet he had 4 last season and had just a ~5% drop percent. Much like I wrote weeks/months back about the need for a good tight end. The simple THREAT of Jared Cook will open the field for the receivers, just like Jermichael Finley did.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

All depends on how the plays are called and setup. The problem last year as not that nobody could get deep. The problem was we didn't put pressure on the middle of the field for at least 10-15 yards most of the time, which allows LBers to settle deeper, allowing safties to cheat their coverages more. If we don't put pressure short to keep the lbers shallow, defenses will continue to crowd the deeper zones.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Barfarn
8 years ago

When you have an offensive line that's filled with JAG's and only serviceable when fully healthy and missing your only deep threat while your 2nd best receiving threat has a bum shoulder and you have another receiver trying to tough out a wicked hamstring pull ... yeah your offense is going to be "figured" out and that doesn't even mention things like your out of conditioned running back or slower than rolling rock tight end, lol.

Over last 4 years Cook has had 332 targets 186 catches and 19 drops. The drop rate is 5.7, not great, but not horrible. But, the perception is different. The drop rate is calculated from targets and Cook's catch rate has only been 56%. Perception largely ignores the incomplete passes thrown in Cooks direction. What people remember are passes that Cook caught and the ones that hit his hands and fell to the ground, the reality is that he drops 1 of every 10 passes he could catch. Richard J Daley, mayor of Chicago 1955-76, said, never make a decision, because with every decision you make some people mad and some happy...The only problem is that people stay mad longer than they stay happy. Likewise, fans stay mad longer at drops than they stay happy with catches. This is why Cook's perception of stone hands prevails. If with Aaron Rodgers he can bump that catch rate to 65-70%, then his 5% drop rate will annoy, but wont convince that Cook lost some fingers in a fireworks accident.

Athletic/pass catching TEs don’t do an offense any good unless they are COMPLETE. Take your Grahams, Ameros and Finleys and get those losers off the team…They don't open anything up to a degree to cover their other deficiencies, they do not help an offense overall. If they did, the offense would suffer when they are out.

Exhibit A-Finley

In 2009 Finley played in 12 games: the O averaged 392 Y/G; but, averaged 405 with Finley out.

In 2010 Finley played in 5 games: the O averaged 342 Y/G; but averaged 365 with Finley out even though Aaron Rodgers missed 1.75 of those 11 games.

In 2013 Finley played in 6 games the O averaged 434 Y/G [w/ Aaron Rodgers at QB]. GB averaged 380 without Finley for the other 10; though Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn QB’d 8 of those games. The two that Aaron Rodgers did QB w/o Finley GB had 468.5 Y/G.

And remember, when Finley went down he was not replaced with a decent TE like Rodgers; he was replaced by guys that were a lily pad above pond scum. Yet, the offense improved. Finley was not valuable.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Exhibit A-Finley

In 2009 Finley played in 12 games: the O averaged 392 Y/G; but, averaged 405 with Finley out.

In 2010 Finley played in 5 games: the O averaged 342 Y/G; but averaged 365 with Finley out even though Aaron Rodgers missed 1.75 of those 11 games.

In 2013 Finley played in 6 games the O averaged 434 Y/G [w/ Aaron Rodgers at QB]. GB averaged 380 without Finley for the other 10; though Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn QB’d 8 of those games. The two that Aaron Rodgers did QB w/o Finley GB had 468.5 Y/G.

And remember, when Finley went down he was not replaced with a decent TE like Rodgers; he was replaced by guys that were a lily pad above pond scum. Yet, the offense improved. Finley was not valuable.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Here's my math, maybe it's wrong?
460 + 351 + 404 + 283 = 1,498 / 4 = 374.5
226 + 311 + 402 + 424 + 435 + 484 + 422 + 350 + 315 + 436 + 417 + 345 = 4,567 / 12 = 380.583

374.5 without Finley and 380.583 with Finley is awfully close so let's look at POINTS.

2009 regular season without Finley: Packers played Browns, Vikings, Buccaneers and Cowboys going 2 - 2 and averaged 25.5 points.
2009 regular season with Finley: Packers played Bears, Bengals, Rams, Vikings, Lions, 49ers, Lions, Ravens, Bears, Steelers, Seahawks and Cardinals the Packers 29.92 points per game. A larger sample and yet more than FOUR points more per game WITH Finley.

2009: 4 games without Finley 25.5 points a game
2009: 12 games with Finley 29.92 points a game and that doesn't even include the 45 points scored in Wild Card loss vs Cardinals

2010: 5 games with Finley 23.8 points per game
2010: 11 games without Finley 24.45 points per game

I'm done wasting my time here. You either pulling numbers out of your ass or you have some crappy sources for your data, lol.

Let’s be honest, the middle of the field is open now. League rules. Big people running down the middle of the field, I’ll make no secret about it. I think that’s a key to offensive success, whether that’s a big receiver or big tight end or a big man running down the middle of the field, making those safeties cover you. It’s an important part of playing in today’s NFL.

Mike McCarthy wrote:

UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

I agree with you that the packers got blown up by injuries, but when I think of effective coaching and playcalling when shit has hit the fan, I think of Dom Capers and all the crazy shit he's done to plug holes and cover weaknesses due to injuries and inexperience. If you can't move the ball, sometimes you need to be a bit creative. And, you know, stop running those dumb outside runs that NEVER EVER WORK BECAUSE WE'RE SLOWER THAN THE DEFENSE.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (7h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (12h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (12h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (12h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.