wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

If we traded back I wouldn't mind then burning a high pick on Jaylon Smith knowing we likely picked up another 3rd rounder at least to move back.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

If they move out of the first round I hope they get more than a 3rd round pick.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

If they move out of the first round I hope they get more than a 3rd round pick.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This would be in addition to the 2 round pick or later 1st round pick.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

This would be in addition to the 2 round pick or later 1st round pick.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Unless it is a team with a top 11 pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds it is not enough of a trade value.

According to Walter's site  the 27th pick has a value of 680. The 11th pick in the 2nd round 470 and the 3rd round 215. That adds up to 685. The 12th picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds total value is 670. There are several different versions of trade valuations but odds are GB would not be getting enough value by only getting someone's 2nd and 3rd picks. By the time you slid down to the 15th picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds you will also need the 4th round as a kicker.

And according to some, GB doesn't have any pressing needs so why get 2 picks for 1 when you don't need a lot of bodies in camp let alone 3 players for 1?
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago

Unless it is a team with a top 11 pick in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds it is not enough of a trade value.

According to Walter's site  the 27th pick has a value of 680. The 11th pick in the 2nd round 470 and the 3rd round 215. That adds up to 685. The 12th picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds total value is 670. There are several different versions of trade valuations but odds are GB would not be getting enough value by only getting someone's 2nd and 3rd picks. By the time you slid down to the 15th picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds you will also need the 4th round as a kicker.

And according to some, GB doesn't have any pressing needs so why get 2 picks for 1 when you don't need a lot of bodies in camp let alone 3 players for 1?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The idea is the draft board has a deep group on a single tier with no stand outs. Say all of the 1st round graded players are taken by #27 and your highest tier has no NT or ILB or whatever you have a higher value on for the coming season need wise. You trade back and still get a player in the same tier as you would have at 27 but also get another shot later in the draft.
beast
8 years ago
Based on that list, my first thought is no one. As my first thought was DT Andrew Billings, who doesn't seem to be on the green room list.

But also think DT Vernon Butler and Chris Jones could be options as well.

I think: Keanu Neal
I want: Darren Lee

Always expect the unexpected from Ted Thompson.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

You think we'll draft a SS in the first? That would really surprise me.

Though I have wondered/thought Keanu Neal could be great in Hyde's nickel/dime roles and maybe an off chance at being physical enough to play coverage ILB with decent protection in front of him. But I wouldn't want to chance maybe with a 1st round pick.

Plus I don't think the Packers under Ted Thompson have drafted any LB under 235 lbs, and strongly doubt they would suddenly start with a guy in the 1st round that's under 220. But it's possible they could have him at natural SS position, but Burnett is signed for two more years and no way they're letting Haha get away.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

The idea is the draft board has a deep group on a single tier with no stand outs. Say all of the 1st round graded players are taken by #27 and your highest tier has no NT or ILB or whatever you have a higher value on for the coming season need wise. You trade back and still get a player in the same tier as you would have at 27 but also get another shot later in the draft.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

"Trade value" is not an exact science. Actually it's not even close to a science. There are several different versions of trade value. I haven't seen his notes but I am quite sure Teddy's trade value chart is not the same one Walters uses.

After saying that I will also say the Walter's chart is only an indicator.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago

You think we'll draft a SS in the first?

Originally Posted by: beast 

No, I don't really believe that, but my feeling is that with Ted pulling the trigger he will likely pull a move right out of left field leaving most fans scratching their head.

Yerko
8 years ago
Vernon Butler!
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

No, I don't really believe that, but my feeling is that with Ted pulling the trigger he will likely pull a move right out of left field leaving most fans scratching their head.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Well I'm thinking it's going to be a linemen. Because as a scout, 🇹🇹 has NEVER gone three years without a linemen in the 1st round. Not under Wolf, not with the Seahawks, and not as GM. Currently he's gone DB in the last two years.

As far as the left field part, that's why I was thinking it could be DT Chris Jones from Mississippi State. As for a while there, no one was even thinking about him going in the 1st round. But if you watch him, he has some similarities to Datone Jones.

Not so much in the way they play, but the fact that before their drafts, they seem to have a ton of untapped potential and are still just scratching the surface of that potential. Also that both were used to their weaknesses at times for the good of the team, as both were used as NTs at times, and that's not where they should be. But the team needed them there, so they used them there at times, which shows some versatility but also some bad tape of them playing a position that doesn't really match their talents. But they both look better if you focus in on the times they were used in positions that do match their natural talents, either one gap pass rusher or more towards the outside as a DE.

Of course Chris Jones has been going up in mocks, so I'm not sure it'd be completely ou of left field anymore, but some people would surely claim it as he has been ranked much longer on a number of mocks.

Sadly Datone hasn't (yet) developed like we wanted him to, but that doesn't mean a different player wouldn't. So I could see Ted Thompson going with a player that is like him. Also needs to be pointed out, that Chris Jones is bigger, more physical when compared to Datone. To where I think Datone could be a very good fit as 3-4 OLB (at least rotating between there and DL), I think Chris Jones is a full time DL.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Save for the idea of using the first round pick to pick Jones, I agree with everything beast said. I think Jones is going to be good, and an upgrade for the Packer DL. I just don't think he's "first round good".

The comparison to Datone Jones is spot on. I didn't think he was first round good then, and I don't think he is first round good now. I would have loved Jones in the third, and would have been content with him in the second. But spending a first rounder just struck me then, and now, as too high a price.

I also think C Jones has more upside potential than D Jones has/had. Certainly more than Nick Perry has/had. So I won't be wholly upset with picking C Jones in the first, especially if all the DL guys I like more are already gone (which could very well be the case).

But I hope Thompson has, and chooses, a better option.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (10h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (13h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (15h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (16h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.