wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Packers find hits with free agents -- when they've bothered to sign them

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Given the level of success Thompson has had when he has dipped into free agency, there’s a decent argument to be made that he should do it more often.

Thus the frustration of many a fan.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago
These fans of which you speak clearly must ignore reality to indulge their silly frustrations.

Here's reality: Ted has spent EVERY god damn Cap dollar he's had and that is over 1.5 BILLION dollars. The only amount he has not spent of this 1.5 BILLION is the 7.9M he just rolled over. And that was kept for a mid season acquisition and/or to extend Perry, Elliot, Jones, Hyde and/or Tretter, if they performed as expected and the other side agreed.

A fan that ignores the Cap insisting Ted should spend over the Cap has got to be a nut.

More reality: The team Ted inherited from Sherman did not have quality players worth retaining; so Ted used the money not used to extend and sign his own players and filled the holes by signing outside FAs.

Even more reality: Generally, after signing his own players, if there was money left he signed outside FAs.

The opinion that Ted should just sign more outside guys is patently irrational and it makes people more stupid after hearing it. Now the Argument Ted should have signed X instead of Cobb, or Y instead of Daniels or Z instead of Bulaga is an opinion that is worth sharing.
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago

Now the Argument Ted should have signed X instead of Cobb, or Y instead of Daniels or Z instead of Bulaga is an opinion that is worth sharing.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Never heard of X,Y or Z. Are they any good?

Looking at the status of the team I think Ted has to go outside his norm and look more at Outside FA rather than simply filling in after signing our own. Signing our own, is not going to improve the team and I don't know if there will be enough left to make much improvement if they don't spend more outside and be even more selective of which of our own we do resign.

Some times you have to improve the depth of the team from the top not the bottom.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
7 years ago
The general idea is that Ted Thompson is way too conservative. The safe path is to build from a rookie draft. Safe is not winning SB's.
The idea is to get good players for the team, so trade or fire or hire or spit, but get the job done. Ted Thompson has not been getting the job done.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
7 years ago
So....Ted has spent every dollar. Yet we only have one super bowl appearance while Tom Brady has 7.

Maybe Ted should have spent more wisely.
Obviously he must be doing something wrong.
A couple of FAs might push us over the top from a very good team to a great team.
I'd like another SB before I take a dirt nap!😎 🤣
UserPostedImage
warhawk
7 years ago

Never heard of X,Y or Z. Are they any good?

Looking at the status of the team I think Ted has to go outside his norm and look more at Outside FA rather than simply filling in after signing our own. Signing our own, is not going to improve the team and I don't know if there will be enough left to make much improvement if they don't spend more outside and be even more selective of which of our own we do resign.

Some times you have to improve the depth of the team from the top not the bottom.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

While signing your own may not make the team better not signing some of these guys will make the team worse. This is certainly a challenge for Ted Thompson because there are several teams with more money lacking talent.
The Oline, for example, will be greatly challenged to be as good let alone better without Lang and Tretter and the pass rush is not going to be as good or better without Perry.
I see this off season as very difficult for Ted Thompson to maneuver through more so than in a lot of the previous years. He certainly doesn't want to start out the year with more holes and less talent than what he had at the end of last year. That's not a good start to getting better.

"The train is leaving the station."
coltonja
7 years ago

While signing your own may not make the team better not signing some of these guys will make the team worse. This is certainly a challenge for Ted Thompson because there are several teams with more money lacking talent.
The Oline, for example, will be greatly challenged to be as good let alone better without Lang and Tretter and the pass rush is not going to be as good or better without Perry.
I see this off season as very difficult for Ted Thompson to maneuver through more so than in a lot of the previous years. He certainly doesn't want to start out the year with more holes and less talent than what he had at the end of last year. That's not a good start to getting better.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Warhawk, always grateful for your input. It's nearly always balanced, well thought out and on point. This post exemplifies that.

I agree this offseason is one of the most challenging for Ted Thompson in recent years. We could overpay our own players who have come on strong this year- Perry and Hyde, or let reliable players walk- like Lang and Tretter. Filling those gaps- which are primary starters or, at least, significant role players for us will be vital this offseason. As a fan I think this is the most difficult thing to understand this time of year- it's possible for your team to get a lot worse from signing splashy "very talented" free agents and letting important players walk from your roster. We only have $40 mil a year open, and if we re-signed Lacy, Cook, Lang/Tretter and Perry that number is cut in half at least. Plus we have our rookie class to sign and major free agent question marks for the next season to think about.

That's why I enjoy playing armchair GM and yet don't envy TT's role. When it comes down to it the few million difference in each contract has major implications!

All that said let's go overspend and sign Boye!

UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
gbguy20
7 years ago
Resign our guys and find a way to get c. Campbell under the cap. Can we cut Cobb yet or does the dead money still kill us this year?
nerdmann
7 years ago

The general idea is that Ted Thompson is way too conservative. The safe path is to build from a rookie draft. Safe is not winning SB's.
The idea is to get good players for the team, so trade or fire or hire or spit, but get the job done. Ted Thompson has not been getting the job done.

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

The last two years it's only been Ted's depth that has given us any chance whatsoever.

The year before that isn't on Ted.

The reason Ted has such a good batting average is, he picks his shots. He knows when to pull the trigger. More importantly, he knows when NOT to pull the trigger.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
7 years ago

The last two years it's only been Ted's depth that has given us any chance whatsoever.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

This is ignorant. The reason the Packers always have a chance is Aaron Rodgers, not bottom of the roster scrubs that can be found my most GMs every year. Others besides Aaron Rodgers need to step-up, especially on defense. How good would this team have been the past several years if they had an above average to good defense consistently? Probably at least one more super bowl championship, and few more visits.

People hold Aaron Rodgers to a standard to almost be perfect and play at an elite level and make few mistakes while accepting mediocrity from the rest of the roster. Makes sense.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (19h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (21h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.