uffda udfa
6 years ago
One thing that jumped out to me in reading some Packers articles this AM was something in an article about Aaron Jones not knowing anything about possibly being on the "inactive list" for game days. What the article pointed out was...that if not for dumb luck, Aaron Jones would likely be riding the pine wasting away on the Packers bench all season while we watched 88 and Jamaal Williams flounder. Due to injuries, our staff was forced to play Aaron Jones, a kid I was banging the drum for from the beginning.

In thinking about the Aaron Jones situation, I was reminded of Desmond Bishop. Had to sit behind the very pedestrian AJ Hawk, but when he finally got his chance he showed he offered much more than AJ ever could. It was a common thing back then for fans to clamor to see Desmond over Hawk but it just seemed like the coaches would never do it. It took forever.

I've been dying for a way to get to this... What about Jeff Janis? When the guy has actually played he's made big things happen, but then he just goes right back to the pine. When forced to play vs. Arizona he delivered. He got most of his opportunity when Aaron was in his funk. I still recall the sliding big catch he made vs. San Diego.

Considering Hyde and Hayward's success away from this team make me wonder, and I can't believe me of all people is typing this, but, perhaps, Ted has provided enough talent to this team but the staff has no clue what to do with it? A smart staff puts it's players in the right positions and isn't shoving round pegs into square holes. A smart staff plays it's most talented players and should live with some mistakes vs. pedestrian flat line play.

Love what Carolina did yesterday. In what looked like a shocking move and salary dump was actually an effort to get Curtis Samuel on the field to use his unique speed and skill set where they didn't have to try and manufacture his touches. They were willing to trade their #1 WR and former 1st round draft pick because they desired better knowing he was Cam's buddy. This is foreign to Packers coaches philosophy who would rather go down with the ship playing safe. For the love of, can't someone realize we need speed on the field and get Janis and Davis some targets? It's nice they're good at ST's, but for crying out loud use them to the extent of their abilities. I really dislike the way we do things.

I really don't trust our coaching staff at all. Campen is getting tons of praise this year but he's been a whipping boy in years past.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
You really should quit reading fictional books about The Packers.
Hawk and Bishop played side by side.

Nice try!

πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5xMd_y339gU

Hayward couldn't stay healthy in Green Bay, Hyde was a Salary cap casualty.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
gbguy20
6 years ago
Hyde and bishop were both garbage. Bishop was a flash in the pan cuz he was a thumper and that is it
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I was never a big Bishop or Hawk fan. Thought we overrated them both, but they were serviceable (Hawk had 1 great year I will give him that) and Bishop could lay a hit. I am in total agreement about why were everyone on the coaching staff sleeping on Aaron Jones? It is a bit embarrassing if you ask me. It may be hard to judge based on preseason, but man the Chicago game confirmed to me this kid is pretty good. The Dallas game has me believing me he has the potential to be something better than what we had since Green wasn't ran on 4th and 1 (sorry I still ache and it is the one thing I think of when I think of Ahman Green).
beast
6 years ago

perhaps, Ted has provided enough talent to this team but the staff has no clue what to do with it?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Who and you and what did you do with uffda? πŸ‘…

But on a serious note, congrats for being in perhaps positive in some regard. You sorta said something positive with the negative, I like both. Though I feel it's a mix of mistakes... sometimes it's Ted's fault and sometimes it's not. Like Hayward, I don't think that was Ted's fault, other than not resigning him when his demand was that low (Z has made a good case for not wanting Hayward resigned, but I said if he was below a certain amount (which he was), that I wanted him back).

Speaking of Hayward and Hyde, both of them have had more success in their new teams in part because (I believe) their new teams run most zone coverage. Where the Packers run a lot of man coverage (but do use zone coverage as a change up to catch the QB off guard)

Also while Hawk and Bishop were both ILB, I'm not sure they played the same ILB position, as Hawk played the 3-4 take-on and often got the pleasure of taking on a run blocking OL in the running game... where Barnett and Bishop played the more of the coverage/free ILB which the others tried to keep clean to make the tackle. I'm not sure Bishop would of played nearly as well in the take-on OL role.

=============================================

But I agree with you on the RB position... I was very surprised when they drafted Williams because I wasn't interested in him as he just didn't seem to have any moves, it reminded me of Noah Herron (maybe a better version but still), Herron just didn't have the raw movement/athletic skill set.

And why didn't Jones get more chances earlier? That combo has me wondering about the RB coach... unless it was purely on the pass blocking, which they needed all the help they could get with the injured OL.

I'm also wondering why haven't they tried giving Rip a few carries, especially on short yardage... does he have a fumble problem, or they just don't trust him, or are they simply forgetting they have a pretty good running FB that can normally break the first tackle. But even as a change up, to get it on film and make the defense think about the possibility that the FB might get it can help.

==============================================

But in some places, I just don't think there has been enough good talent (for what ever reason), but along the DL and OLB, the talent has been pretty bad and either Thompson made bad selections (sometimes for sure on that, I mean OLB Bradford?) or the coaches just couldn't coach them up (OLB coach Kevin Greene seemed to be loved by everyone, but with the exception of Matthews no one developed under him... and most of the time the OLBers best year under Greene was their rookie year and the declined after that).

So I think it's a combo of both... sometimes talent, sometimes coaching.

I'm think the former Packers RB coach was biased in the type of RB he liked, he seemed to only prefer big power backs... which is fine, but they got to also be quick and move well, which the guys they were bringing in didn't really do that.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Hyde was also a casualty of the Packers finding good UDFAs with Brice and Evans. The Packers might of resigned Hyde if it wasn't for having good/cheaper back-ups already behind him (and Burnett's versatility to play the slot as well).

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

You really should quit reading fictional books about The Packers.
Hawk and Bishop played side by side.

Nice try!

πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5xMd_y339gU

I understand on Hawk and Bishop. Fans wanted Bishop to get his shot but we were subjected to AJs pedestrian play every week. Why did Hawk get to play and Dez didn't get to? I meant that it was frustrating for fans to see Hawk play because he was a 1st rounder while Bishop didn't get his shot even though Bishop was more impactful on our defense.

Staff has to start playing guys with talent instead of sitting on assignment sure guys who aren't that talented. Not advocating having a bunch of guys making mistakes all the time but we need the most talented guys between the lines.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
6 years ago

I understand on Hawk and Bishop. Fans wanted Bishop to get his shot but we were subjected to AJs pedestrian play every week. Why did Hawk get to play and Dez didn't get to? I meant that it was frustrating for fans to see Hawk play because he was a 1st rounder while Bishop didn't get his shot even though Bishop was more impactful on our defense.

Staff has to start playing guys with talent instead of sitting on assignment sure guys who aren't that talented. Not advocating having a bunch of guys making mistakes all the time but we need the most talented guys between the lines.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Just stop!
This is embarrassing
The length you will go, even when you are wrong,just to try and prove yourself right.
Hawk and Bishop played 2 different positions.
PERIOD!
πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ€£

Plenty of players all over the league make a name for themselves by getting their chance when the guy in front of them is injured.

I guess old Ted does know something about evaluating talent.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Just stop!
This is embarrassing
The length you will go, even when you are wrong,just to try and prove yourself right.
Hawk and Bishop played 2 different positions.
PERIOD!
πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ€£

Plenty of players all over the league make a name for themselves by getting their chance when the guy in front of them is injured.

I guess old Ted does know something about evaluating talent.

You have your opinion. Others have their opinion. If you disagree, disagree. Move on. We shouldn't go target a person just to keep telling them to stop. Ignore them if they are insane crazy thoughts you don't agree with. πŸ™‚
UserPostedImage
6 years ago

You have your opinion. Others have their opinion. If you disagree, disagree. Move on. We shouldn't go target a person just to keep telling them to stop. Ignore them if they are insane crazy thoughts you don't agree with. :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Is it an opinion if it's a fact thought? Both Bishop and Hawk saw the field at the same time for at least 2 years right? 3-4 defense means two inside backers no? I don't think anyone was clamoring to see a late round rookie/2nd year player replace Nick Beats and Hawk for for the few years he rode the pine....
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: β€œGot in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.