Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Found this over at PackersNews.NET  thanks to John.

As long as Ted Thompson was general manager of the Green Bay Packers Mike McCarthy was going to be coaching the Green Bay Packers.

They were joined at the hip, the taciturn Texan and the portly Pittsburgher. Thompson hired McCarthy in January 2006, they once stood atop the football world as Super Bowl champions and, other than some sharp disagreements during some years of non-activity in free agency, they were friends and allies alike.

There is no way that Thompson, in his mid-60s, would countenance starting over again with a new head coach and a new coaching staff.

Packers President Mark Murphy always deferred to Thompson when it came to football decisions. Case, closed.

Everything in Packerville changed Monday with word that Thompson was being removed from prominence and that a new GM would be hired. NFL Network broke the news.

Thompson, a month shy of his 65th birthday, reportedly has accepted a complementary role in which he can continue to grind tape, write reports and, if his health permits, scout college players on campus and at all-star games.

His days of calling the shots on every personnel move the Packers make appear over.

Scooped on their own story, the Packers on Tuesday morning plan to send out a press release outlining the changes in Thompson’s duties before Murphy holds a press briefing in the afternoon.

Last week, one of Thompson’s close friends was asked if he could envision a scenario in which Murphy and the corporation’s executive committee would force him out or if he would retire?

“I doubt that Ted will hang it up,” the friend said. “He does not have anything else to do and, more or less, seems to be happy being in charge of the personnel end of the Packers.”

The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source.

Last month, Thompson was just gazing into space hardly mindful why he was attending a meeting of team executives, the source said.

The incident was one of several in the last six months that called into question Thompson’s fitness for performing such demanding work. It also opened the Packers to embarrassment for having a man with apparent health and focusing issues directing their football operation.

Ten days ago, NBC cameras centered on Thompson at his press-box seat when play was stopped during the Green Bay-Minnesota game at Lambeau Field. For almost 12 seconds Thompson was sitting there with his mouth open.

Deadspin tweeted the photo of Thompson with the caption: “When the ‘nog is too strong.”

Thompson’s mouth was ajar not long before that as he and McCarthy watched Aaron Rodgers warm up at practice.

Thompson frequently is seen in the Packers’ offices in similar pose, which alarmed one person.

This summer I watched as Thompson shuffled slowly around Ray Nitschke Field as he watched practice. Carrying his ever-present water bottle, he would bring the bottle to his lips with great deliberation and take periodic drinks.

Another friend of Thompson’s said recently “there’s something foggy about him” during their recent conversations.

An executive in personnel for an NFC team said he encountered Thompson on the scouting trail this fall.

“He looks like he’s walking in a daze,” the personnel man said last week. “It looks like there’s something that’s slowing him down mentally.”

On Thursday, another personnel man said in his opinion there would be no chance of a new GM in Green Bay any time soon.

“Ted’s going to stay put for a little bit,” the scout said. “I think he’s going to try to fix it and make it better than he found it. He wouldn’t want to leave on this type of note right here.”

Murphy can be expected to examine candidates to replace Thompson from in-house and outside the organization. It’s likely he will rely on Jed Hughes, a head-hunter for Korn Ferry who delivered him to the executive committee in late 2007.

This will be the first major decision that Murphy will make in football since replacing Bob Harlan in January 2008.

If Murphy picks Thompson’s successor from down the hall, the leading candidates would appear to be:

Russ Ball: Age 58. Vice president of football administration/player finance. Hired by Thompson in February 2008 two months into Murphy’s tenure.

Brian Gutekunst: Age 44. Director of player personnel. Hired by GM Ron Wolf in January 1998.

Eliot Wolf: Age 35. Director of football operations. Hired by Mike Sherman in February 2004.

Among the many questions without answers are these:

Would John Dorsey, the long-time Packers personnel man, approach Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, tell him Green Bay has always been his dream job and seek a release from the multi-year contract as GM in Cleveland that he signed Dec. 7?

Would De Pere native John Schneider, another former personnel man in Green Bay, try to get out of his contract as GM of the Seattle Seahawks? In July 2016, Schneider signed an extension that runs through 2021 in which he forfeited an out to take the Packers job.

Would Reggie McKenzie, a Packers personnel man from 1994-’12, remain in Oakland after Jon Gruden is hired as coach? They worked together in Green Bay for eight months in 1994, and they also share a Tennessee background.

In any event, this is the chance for Murphy to make his mark with the Packers.

As for McCarthy, he was back at work Monday one day after the Packers concluded a 7-9 season with a 35-11 loss in Detroit.

McCarthy’s contract status would seem unimportant. Having added $72.8 million in net income for the most recent fiscal year, the Packers easily could pay McCarthy his annual salary that approaches $9 million if a change was deemed appropriate.

According to one friend, McCarthy has begun to feel less appreciated in Green Bay. As long as there were other openings McCarthy almost certainly would land another job, but after 12 years he has established deep family roots in Brown County and probably would want to stay with the Packers for many more years.

One role McCarthy hasn’t expressed interest in would be the dual role as coach-GM. Sherman was the last man in Green Bay to handle both jobs.

According to reports, McCarthy on Monday fired Dom Capers, his defensive coordinator since 2009; Mike Trgovac, his defensive line coach since 2009, and Scott McCurley, who joined his staff in 2007 and coached the inside linebackers since 2014.

The Packers have a ready-made successor for Trgovac in Jerry Montgomery, who has spent the last three seasons assisting with the defensive line as defensive front assistant.

Tim McGarigle, the defensive quality control coach in 2017, coached linebackers at the major-college level for five seasons and would be a distinct candidate to replace McCurley.

At the same time, one source indicated the Packers were hopeful that Winston Moss, one of McCarthy’s first hires and the team’s associate head coach and outside linebackers coach, will find other employment. According to NFL Media, the Detroit Lions have requested permission to interview Moss to succeed coach Jim Caldwell.

“They’re not sure what’s going on,” one source familiar with the Packers said of the coaching staff. “They’re kind of on edge.”

Despite McCarthy’s enviable record over 12 seasons, one reason the 54-year-old coach might not be as secure as many would think is the staleness factor. Like Thompson, McCarthy doesn’t project energy.

“I think he looks heavy and tired,” a friend of his said in November. “I do think that when in your mid-50s and you’re that much overweight, I think it’s hard to have the same juice you did when you were 40 pounds lighter seven, eight years ago.”

BOB McGINN wrote:

From that same thread. This is something I also believe to be true. McGinn often misquotes and takes parts of sentences and formulates paragraphs and long structured thoughts from them. That said, I think there is some truth to the overall article posted above.

Up till about 5 or 6 years ago Ted would give his season ending sit down question and answer series to McGinn, then Bob mis quoted Ted on several answers, and Ted decided to do them with a different beat writer, at least thats how I remember it, and since then Bob turned on Ted, tearing down his drafts and how he managed the team.

If there where really something mentally wrong with Ted we would have heard about it long before this, and when friends say stuff like this to a beat reporter are they really friends? this article sounds like sour grapes from a guy that was snubbed by the person he's writing about.

mike wrote:

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
This is defamatory. I'd muzzle this bitch forever and make sure lived out his remain days penny less if he did this to me. McGinn is despicable.

First, we all know Ted has lost a physical step. But, this doesn't mean in any way that his mental faculties have declined more than any other 65ish person. And again, Ted's articulation is failing but the content of what he's saying [or not saying] in the PCs demonstrates a high degree of mental acuity, humor and cleverness. Ignoring all the physical stuff, Ted's purported mental demise rests on 2 sources: A "close friend" and purported source inside 1265. And it is self-evident both sources are 100% bullshit.

Notice how McGinn quotes, quotes quotes and then writes without quotes:
Last month, Thompson was just gazing into space hardly mindful why he was attending a meeting of team executives, the source said.

Why no quotes? What did the "source" say that could not be stated verbatim; but could be represented as Ted hardly knowing why he was at a meeting? How does anyone know what was in Ted's mind? And what does hardly mean, he knew a little bit about why he was there, just not fully? This is just pure non factual bullshit. But, its defamatory because it implies underlying facts that are false.

Also, McGinn uses the "friend" source more than any other thousand journalists on the earth. The deception is clear, if a friend says negative things its different than if a stranger, ex-wife or a just released player said it. But, why would a close friend say this stuff to McGinn? It's an oxymoron to claim this source is a friend; a friend would never say these things to McGinn. Would any of you speak to a reporter about your very public close friend's medical condition? It is 100% absurd, totally beyond reason. McGinn's "friend" claim constitutes at best a reckless disregard for the truth.

And look how he sprinkles the "Friend" quotes throughout the article. Instead of writing what one friend said in one paragraph; he liters it throughout the article leaving the reader with an impression that several of Ted's friends are selling him out.

I wish I had a cause of action against this POS. Now I gotta take a shower after reading this puke.
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Is there any evidence or proof that what "mike" said is true? You have to understand that puff and fluff lovers HATED McGinn for the steady diet of vegetables. That is a fact.

Now, this board can see. Even if Bob is "McSpinn"...he'd have to be spinning from the basis of what is true. I have no issue with those who may think this is a little or even a lot sensationalized but the base line for the piece is undoubtedly true leaving some in a very uncomfortable place.

If this is true even to a degree doesn't it make this just completely alarming?: "Ted made the decision and I was involved as well," Murphy said. "During the season, we gave Mike a one year extension." Okay internet sleuths. 2 questions for you. First, if Bob's article is remotely true, how does that look that Ted made the decision to extend MM? Second...if Ted is Ted and the Ted he was when he got here, why would Mark Murphy have been involved in making the decision? A GM's job is to make that decision. Did Ted ever make any decision for Mike McCarthy regarding firings or changes?

You are left with two very thorny issues to square. Answers for both of those things are things I would love to see from those who think this piece is 100% false.

Here's something to consider if you care to tackle two issues you probably don't. This quote from Bob's piece: Packers President Mark Murphy always deferred to Thompson when it came to football decisions. Case, closed.

So, unless you deny that is true, too...I ask, again, why would Mark Murphy be involved in the decision to extend MM? If you're of the mind nothing was wrong, I think you're checkmated but I would love to see someone come to any other conclusion.

EDIT: For those who think Ted did make the decision to step down... How does this square from Bob's piece above?:

On Thursday, another personnel man said in his opinion there would be no chance of a new GM in Green Bay any time soon.

“Ted’s going to stay put for a little bit,” the scout said. “I think he’s going to try to fix it and make it better than he found it. He wouldn’t want to leave on this type of note right here.”

Ted had a change of heart? Or... Did the org pressure him or just nudge him and he acquiesced? If he's not right, it may not have taken much to bend him to their will. It opens up a lot of questions as to what really happened. It has the smell of something really rotten. I go back to Barfarn's statement on how boards don't like liability. If Ted was seen as one, they had to get him out. Also, they would have to obfuscate the fact that was why they did it or they are liable for allowing it to go on as long as it did. I really wish there was a Mike Wallace 60 minutes type on this story. I think we'd be hit with some unbelievable things bigger than Favre sexting wee wee photos to a chick not his wife while his wife was going through cancer.

One final thing. I've seen a lot of circle of silence types on twitter point to Ted's age and the org just caring about not taxing him too much which is "reasonable" per them. Marv Levy was GM of the Buffalo Bills at 80. EIGHTY! How old is Dick LeBeau? There are countless men through the ages who lasted well past 65. Capers was one of them. This is not about age at all and those trying to push that narrative are hiding the truth and substituting the sugar coated euphemism of "age". Patently dishonest to do this but it's a circle of silence thing. Thank goodness for Bob. I defy anyone to point out where he slammed Ted anywhere in this piece. He reported what he was told and witnessed himself. How is that defamatory? I think you need to read again with a fair mind.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
6 years ago
Thanks for posting this.

I do believe there is something “wrong” with Ted. I think some rest and time away will be the best thing for him. This whole move was obviously planned in advance. He’s worn out. If Ted was being “forced” out, there’s no way he’d still be with the team.

I also believe there’s something wrong with McGinn.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

This is defamatory. I'd muzzle this bitch forever and make sure lived out his remain days penny less if he did this to me. McGinn is despicable.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Bob isn't lying about every single thing. Does he take something small and stretch it? Sure, that's what a lot of journalists do. Hell, its often times encouraged by their editors. This is why I do not like the media, nor trust them much and prefer to read transcripts for my information or watch the press conferences in full.

UserPostedImage
musccy
6 years ago
As the dust is settling it's becoming more apparent this was in the works for a long time. If you listen to Murphy's PC yesterday, it was pretty clear decisions became collaborative in recent months. Bill Michaels referenced an agent who acknowledged he rarely dealt with Ted anymore, more was delegated to Brian, Eliot, etc.

Whether Ted was phased out due to the health issues, concerns with the his performance, or not wanting to lose more in house guys - it's pretty clear the transition has been in place since AT LEAST when Mike McCarthy was re-signed, and likely long before that.

Uffda, you've voiced your displeasure towards the organization supposedly ignoring Ted's health, but as more details come out, it appears they did in fact set this up possibly since even this spring.

uffda udfa
6 years ago
For you, musccy...Does it sound like they had a plan? Yeah, WHEN Ted was gone they'd come up with one. This is from July 2017:

From Rob Demovsky ESPN.com:

"As long as he wants to continue to work and he's still doing a good job -- and I think he still does a great job for us -- I want him to continue to be our general manager," Murphy said of Thompson.

As Murphy said after the season, he does not have a hand-picked successor in mind.

Since then, however, a potential top candidate became available when the Kansas City Chiefs last month parted ways with general manager John Dorsey, who was a longtime Packers scout. Murphy wouldn't say whether the Packers planned to bring back Dorsey in any capacity; that would fall under Thompson's purview. But Dorsey is part of a lengthy list of potential replacements for Thompson, who is under contract through at least the 2018 season and possibly through the 2019 draft, although Murphy hasn't clarified that.

"I can't tell you now who we would hire because you don't know when that would be," Murphy said. "But we would have a process in place when that would happen."
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
6 years ago
Regarding Ted's mental incapacity, that which would be beyond normal aging, the article is not remotely true. I think McGinn is amoral; but I think he understands journalism.

A professional journalist dealing with a legal question, a medical question, a technical football question, will seek out the opinion of professionals. This is Journalism 101. McGinn was negligent or he contacted mental health professionals to weigh-in; this would have really legitimized the article. But these professionals' opinions didn't serve's McGinn's agenda, so he left them out. When reading a McGinn article you have to "read" what is not there.

If McGinn could make a legitimate case about Ted's incapacity, he'd have written a legitimate article following legitimate journalist principles. He wouldn't be calling enemies friends; he'd QUOTE every factual observation about a medical condition; he'd consult an medical expert to opine; etc.

If there is some other truth scattered in his article, I dont care, it is not germane.

1265 works like any other healthy football team, a decision maker consults and then decides. Murphy and Ted consulted, that is Murphy is "involved" and Ted decides. Murphy being "involved" and Ted making a final decision is the EXACT SAME THING. Only a McGinn like character would try to pull this of as a contradiction.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

Packers president Mark Murphy said Sunday that he and Thompson had discussed a succession plan, but that he didn't want to divulge what was said. He has not said that Thompson is thinking about retiring, but after Ron Wolf left in 2001, the Packers had to scramble some to find a replacement.

"We have a plan ," Murphy said. "I think we're all proud of the success we've had on a consistent basis. Yes, we're disappointed we haven't won more Super Bowls but it's hard to win the NFL. I have great confidence in Ted and Mike and the working relationship that they have."

2016/03/21 wrote:

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
No mental health professional is going to speak to someone's situation they haven't personally diagnosed and you know that, B. No doctor will make a diagnosis on someone's potential blown ACL, either. Now, @profootballdoc is someone who will speculate but never diagnose as he will tell you he can't diagnose someone he hasn't personally seen.

Can we stop the disingenuous "age" thing? It's just plain nonsense. 65 years old is not a place where age is an issue in the National Football League. If it's not age, it has to be something associated with it and...there ya go. Common sense gives you all the answers you may not want, but it gives them to you. I asked some questions above. I know they won't be answered because they can't. Not unless you stipulate to something being wrong and that is something that is really really hard for some to admit. Why? I don't know why anyone here would have a stake in keeping up the code of silence.

One quick aside...I had a twitter interaction with someone who works for a Packers themed website. I asked why nobody reported issues with Ted? His response was telling. Here's what he said:

My reply was.."The I'm not a doctor thing doesn't hold water...when Jordy went down at Pittsburgh everyone was speculating. Why?

People knew. Bill Huber and I had a nice back and forth. Go look it up. He said he didn't have enough sources to write a story like that. He did not ever say there was no story...just that he couldn't write it. I asked why he couldn't have spoken to what he personally witnessed? No answer. Previously, he admitted to me that there was something wrong, that everyone knew about it, but nobody would talk about it. Those who are denying this stuff McGinn is saying are really burying their heads in the sand. There is no other conclusion. None.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (3h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (17h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (22h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.