Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Hey hardrocker! Read this thread to my wife. She wants to know, if we have any pressure cooker advise, can we ask you?
And any recipe ideas of things you have cooked?
She bought me an Irish cookbook, and wants me too try some of the recipes.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

IMO, the easiest Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker meal , and one of my favorites , is a good ole Beef Stew. A beautiful cut of beef surrounded by potatoes , onions , carrots and even maybe mushrooms .

I hope that you and All enjoy a Delicious Thanksgiving . šŸ˜
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

I made kind of a pot pie in my pressure cooker. Cut up some chicken breast, some taters, frozen peas, frozen crinkle cut carrots, 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup, topped with pillsbury biscuits.
Cook for 40 minutes.
Yum!!!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Sounds great, except I'm not partial to green peas. I would substitute Green Beans or Baby Lima Beans instead.

I've yet to fix one of my personal Winter favorites, Slow Cooked Beef Stew. Dinty Moore does not even come close to it. Perhaps I can make it next week.

šŸ‘

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Yeah, it's hard to beat made from scratch!
One of these days I'm going to try to make beef stew in my pressure cooker. The darn thing is so versatile .
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago

I can't recall anytime in my life that a cast iron skillet was not a part of the kitchen where I lived. They are good for Frying Bacon and Eggs, to Baking a Meatloaf. A skillet can help make a killer toasted cheese sandwich or to fry up your Chicken in. It is a most versatile kitchen item and if cared for will provide years of nearly non-stick cooking.

One piece of advice about cast iron, it will rust if not properly cared for. Following soap & water cleaning, a thin layer of grease or oil must be applied to the skillet's warm (not hot) cooking surfaces and allow it be absorbed into the pores of the metal. Then the next time you use it rinse it with hot water and wipe down with a clean paper towel.

I'll be very happy to help anyone learn about cast iron and it's varied uses and methods of cooking.

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago

Cast iron cookware is definitely the way to go.
Have been cooking with it for years both at camp and at home.
It's very versatile and easy to care for and will last forever.

Question for you Smoke, Last year when my brother and I were cleaning out our parents house prior to selling it, I found an old cast iron pot (large) in the basement that hadn't been used in probably 50 or more years.
Do you think it can be rehabilitated?

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Provided that your pot is not cracked or thoughtlessly drilled with holes for use as a large flowerpot, there is a good chance that your pot can be rehabilitated. Most larger pots have 3 short legs that are cast as part of the pot. I hope they are in good condition.

Next, if your pot was stored in a basement (or anywhere else), rust will be the prime concern. If the thickness of the pot is still in good shape, removing just the rust is the largest concern. Get in touch with a trusted hardware store veteran or perhaps an experienced retailer like say Southern States for safe rust removal products/procedures.

Following the rust removal, you will want to thoroughly clean and dry your pot. At this point your pot will need to be oiled/greased, covered, and allowed to stand as the pores absorb the oil/grease. I personally prefer to coat the inside of the pot with Crisco from a can. It spreads like grease and can be applied in thin or thick amounts. I always store our family pot in this way and closed inside of an extra-large plastic bag.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
For one reason or another, some of us don't get to enjoy those same meals we grew up with.
The wonderful casseroles, country cooked vegetables, boiled or broiled meats.

One of my favorites was also simple to prepare, I refer to a pot of Cabbage/Ham/ and Potatoes. Along with fresh hot biscuits, always a winning combination.

What are you cooking ?

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago

Provided that your pot is not cracked or thoughtlessly drilled with holes for use as a large flowerpot, there is a good chance that your pot can be rehabilitated. Most larger pots have 3 short legs that are cast as part of the pot. I hope they are in good condition.

Next, if your pot was stored in a basement (or anywhere else), rust will be the prime concern. If the thickness of the pot is still in good shape, removing just the rust is the largest concern. Get in touch with a trusted hardware store veteran or perhaps an experienced retailer like say Southern States for safe rust removal products/procedures.

Following the rust removal, you will want to thoroughly clean and dry your pot. At this point your pot will need to be oiled/greased, covered, and allowed to stand as the pores absorb the oil/grease. I personally prefer to coat the inside of the pot with Crisco from a can. It spreads like grease and can be applied in thin or thick amounts. I always store our family pot in this way and closed inside of an extra-large plastic bag.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Thanks Smokey!
The good news is it had no rust, it just looks extremely dried out.
I will follow your recommendation with the Crisco, unfortunately there is no cover for it.

Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
yooperfan, I'm pleased to hear that your pot is in good shape. As I said before, following a careful cleaning, dry and grease the inside areas of your pot and store with a plastic leaf or garbage bag to cover the pot during storage.

As far as a lid is concerned, our family's 10 gal pot needs one as well. I'm currently looking online and speaking to sheet metal shops locally to determine weather to go with Aluminum or Stainless Steel. Prices range from $35 to $100 so far. We already have an Oak stir paddle that's the size of a canoe paddle that our Father made over 40 years ago.

I'd like to know how big your pot is and if you have plans to put it to use in the near future. We are already planning to make Brunswick Stew again this next fall. My brother wants to move away from a wood fire to a propane one this time. [cool]

UserPostedImage