Pack93z
10 years ago
Here is a nice write up... I am excited to see this kid play at the NFL level. Haven't watched much CO ball.. so he is an unknown for me.

Source is a paid subscription.. hence the spoiler.

David Bakhtiari’s long-term position will be decided over the next several months, starting Friday. His experience at the position and his ability to play multiple spots could make him a key player as a rookie. “That zone-style running is really what he does well," Steve Marshall said.

For David Bakhtiari’s final two seasons at Colorado, his position coach was Steve Marshall. Roughly two decades earlier, Marshall was the offensive line coach at Tennessee, where he mentored a promising young lineman named Chad Clifton.
“Chad, he was a lot better athlete than you think,” Marshall told Packer Report last week. “I remember when Chad was a sophomore in high school at a little old country school way out in Tennessee, he ran like a 4.8 at about 275 pounds. He’s a lot better athlete than people give him credit for. He had a great slide and a great punch and he was a great kid. I’m so happy he had a great career. I’m a Chad Clifton guy all the way.”

Marshall also counts himself as a Bakhtiari guy, though he not surprisingly was hesitant to compare the two.

“That’s hard to say,” Marshall said. “Chad is a legitimate NFL left tackle. David, I think he has more of the ability to move inside and play center/guard. He could probably play left tackle but he doesn’t have the range that Chad had as far as size and length of arms. David certainly is a guy that has a chance to play in the league for a long time.”

For the record, Clifton is an inch taller than Bakhtiari (6-foot-5 1/4 vs. 6-foot-4 1/4), though Bakhtiari’s arms are an inch longer (34 inches vs. 33 inches).

Bakhtiari was an early entrant but has no shortage of experience.

As a redshirt freshman, Bakhtiari played right tackle as Nate Solder manned the left side. With Solder being selected by New England in the first round in 2011, Bakhtiari moved to the left side for the past two seasons.

In 2011, Bakhtiari provided eight touchdown-producing blocks, allowed just two sacks and was penalized only once. In 2012, he recorded 94 knockdowns — tops among Pac-12 Conference offensive tackles — 10 touchdown-producing blocks and allowed just 2.5 sacks. The Buffaloes, however, went 1-11 and the entire coaching staff was dismissed.

Rather than return for his senior season, when he would be playing for his third head coach and fourth offensive line coach, Bakhtiari declared for the draft. That he lasted until the fourth round likely signals that most teams don’t believe he can play left tackle, since left tackle is considered a premium position and those players tend to fly off the board quickly. Of the 32 projected starting left tackles heading into 2013, 20 went in the first round and only five entered the league later than the second round.

“I feel I can play left tackle,” Bakhtiari said. “I’ve shown it in college, but wherever the Packers want me to play is what I’m going to play. They’re going to give me the playbook, they’re going to let me know the position, and I’m going to study it and try and become the best position I can. I feel like I can play multiple positions, that’s just kind of my body type and how my athleticism plays. I’ll just have to wait and see, but I’m excited to embark on this new journey and maybe a new position.”

Marshall called Bakhtiari a “110 percenter” who will be “the first one in the building” to improve his game. He also said he’d be an excellent fit for the Packers’ scheme.

“I think they’re getting an excellent football player who has a lot of great football in front of him,” Marshall said. “That zone-style running is really what he does well. He’s a reach-and-run, athletic, get-on-second-level defenders blocker. He can really move in short spaces. He’s very explosive and has good change of direction. I think that’s his game. He was our best run blocker by far, and he’s a good pass protector, too. He’s got strong hands and he’s got some power in his body. He plays with a little bit of nasty and he’s tough.”

Bakhtiari’s long-term position will be decided beginning with the rookie camp that starts on Friday and through OTAs, the minicamp and training camp. While he’s unlikely to beat out Bryan Bulaga at left tackle as a rookie, Bulaga missed four games in 2011 with a pair of knee injuries and the final seven games of 2012 with a hip injury. So, Bakhtiari’s left tackle experience provides some options, if necessary, with only seven linemen active most Sundays.

“I think it’s very comforting that you have a player — I consider myself a good player — who can come in and compete yet you have the comfort in knowing I can play multiple positions and help out,” Bakhtiari said, “because it’s a long season, and with a team that is an awesome organization and (has made) playoffs after playoffs, that’s a lot of games and injuries do occur. So, to have the ability that I know that I can jump around from position to position can really help the team in the long run, and I think that’s a huge benefit.”

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
4th round pick and is widely considered the best Tackle in the game.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

4th round pick and is widely considered the best Tackle in the game.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yep. No one said D&D never worked. And his first few seasons were kind of ugly. It gives me some hope for Spriggs.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.