Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
On the trade with Saints Gutekunst said [multiple times in different ways in his PC Thurs night], “We were going to get the same value player, when that trade came up.”

This is a LIE; a false statement of fact that the author knows is false.

If he believed it, it means he believes that players from #14 to #27 were of equal value. However, the only logic for spending a 3rd to move up From #27 to #18 is to draft a better player. Ergo, if Gutekunst believed what he said, he would not have wasted a 3rd round pick to move to #18.

Obviously, we all know it’s not true and it may appear superficially as a harmless lie isolated unto itself. Here’s the thing: Ted was incapable of standing in front of a mic and saying something he knew was untrue; Ted was a man of impeccable character and respected for it.

Everyone lies during their life, but what separates the honorable from the shameless liar is the level of commitment individuals have to telling the truth. Put another way: liars lie with regularity, sometimes serially; the honorable, no so much. The single most important tool a GM possesses is honor. A GM doesn’t have to be the best scout or the best money manager or possess the best personality. But, without honor a GM won’t be trusted by agents, his own scouts and colleagues, players, other GMs, etc. and this will doom his administration to failure.

And another thing: the lie was 100% unnecessary. Why not tell the truth? He could have said something like, “by moving down 13, we knew there’s a good chance we’d end up with a lesser player. However, we got two extra picks, a valuable one at #147 this year and a critical 2019 1st rounder.” Who would not accept the logic in this?

This unnecessary lie fails to support another important purpose of a draft PC: to flatter the picks. A good GM never insults his picks. The lie renders Alexander as just a guy equal to those taken from #14 to 27. Plus, it makes the Saints look like morons. I bet some loud-mouthed agenda driven GM-hating Saint fan on a forum somewhere is using this lie as evidence to castigate his Ted Thompson for giving away a 1st and 4th for a player they could have got at #27.

This lie added to his chatty way before the draft, his numerous statements about being his own man and other quirky things said evidence a GM struggling with his esteem. I don’t want a GM with personality or oe that gives the fans what they want or a feeling of transparency. I want an honorable, self-assured GM that understands secrecy and shunning public display are an essential part of the job description.
nerdmann
6 years ago
I have a LOT more confidence in the dude after this draft than I did before. As far as drafting players, I think he did GREAT, not just because I called 4 of them myself, but because I think these guys can make an impact.

Only thing is, he seems to be one of these “measurables” guys. Figures he can get athletes, let the coaches turn them into football players. I don’t necessrily agree wih that approach, but I’m also not necessarily averse to it. We shall see how it works out.

I mean, i don’t think he was bullshitting in this instance so much as he was just engaging in Ted Speak, trying to dissemble or not say anyhing substantive so as to strategically tip his hand. He was essentially saying “WE LIKE ALL THESE GUYS.” 🤣
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago
Seriously, what is this crap? Super-mega over analysising and overcompensating for what?

Are you okay Barfarn? It just seems strange that you bring up esteem issues and then seem to be having a my penis is larger argument with someone that's not even on this site ... especially with something as simple and basic as those comments.

Are you just blowing off steam? Venting? Or just looking for anything to bitch about?

I don't know what's wrong... but it should be okay buddy... keep venting, get it all out and feel better. 😄

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
That’s just the way he rolls. Barf likes to find anything he sees as a point to tear someone down, then makes up a whole story to “prove” he’s right.
I don’t know why he thinks that way.
I don’t know why anyone would want to think that way. So negative.

Football is a business, and you don’t want the guys that are competing for players you might want, to know everything you are thinking.
Barf, do you think all the othe GMs don’t do that?
In a poker game, have you ever bluffed the other players to think you have a better hand then you actually do?
If so, you are a horrible liar!
Get the point?
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
A General Manager's job is at times much like a Poker player. He can't tip his hand to others in the game if he expects to win. Bluffing, exaggerating, and often folding on a deal are just a part of the GM's job. The other GMs know this and some are better at it than others. Most GMs won't make a deal in which they feel they are loosing.

GB's new GM has, so far, proven himself capable of sitting at the Adults Table. I was upset when he traded down GB's 14th pick, but he then made another deal that regained GB their 1st round pick (- 4 draft positions).

So far I'm not unhappy with BG as GB's GM. However the real test is how good will the drafted rookies play. We all have great expectations for players until life steps in and challenges the plan. For now I will have a wait and see policy as the new 2018 Packers takes shape.

GoPackGo

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Clouds must always be dark in your world
nerdmann
6 years ago

A General Manager's job is at times much like a Poker player. He can't tip his hand to others in the game if he expects to win. Bluffing, exaggerating, and often folding on a deal are just a part of the GM's job. The other GMs know this and some are better at it than others. Most GMs won't make a deal in which they feel they are loosing.

GB's new GM has, so far, proven himself capable of sitting at the Adults Table. I was upset when he traded down GB's 14th pick, but he then made another deal that regained GB their 1st round pick (- 4 draft positions).

So far I'm not unhappy with BG as GB's GM. However the real test is how good will the drafted rookies play. We all have great expectations for players until life steps in and challenges the plan. For now I will have a wait and see policy as the new 2018 Packers takes shape.

GoPackGo

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I took the Jimmy Graham signing as a bullshit fluff move, more to excite fans than to improve the team. So I was worried. But I really like this draft.

I’m still a Ted Thompson loyalist, but so far Goot is earning the respect. IMO.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
blueleopard
6 years ago
Dude. Shut the fuck up, man. You're literally worse than uffda now when it comes to grasping straws to provide criticism of the brass. At least his stuff is a semi-believable opinion. You just sound like a Christ conspirator.

From the way the cards fell, this draft showed that Gutekunst has a way better hand on things than John Dorsey.

Gutez wheeled and dealed and ended up making next year's draft something to look forward to already. Dorsey, Wolf, and Company found a way to still be the Browns by taking a QB in a QB-heavy class when they could've taken the best RB or the best pass rusher and still end up with a top-tier QB in the draft.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
nerdmann
6 years ago

Dude. Shut the fuck up, man. You're literally worse than uffda now when it comes to grasping straws to provide criticism of the brass. At least his stuff is a semi-believable opinion. You just sound like a Christ conspirator.

From the way the cards fell, this draft showed that Gutekunst has a way better hand on things than John Dorsey.

Gutez wheeled and dealed and ended up making next year's draft something to look forward to already. Dorsey, Wolf, and Company found a way to still be the Browns by taking a QB in a QB-heavy class when they could've taken the best RB or the best pass rusher and still end up with a top-tier QB in the draft.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

LOL I would have taken Saquon at the top for sure.
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Barfarn.
Somebody needs a hug.

Nerd.
Gute said in his presser after the draft he at times leaned heavily on Ted.

He has been taught well, Ted knew it was time to go back to scouting.

Ted left The Packers in good hands and with a plethora of picks to work with.

To the rest
John Dorsey has built winners wherever he has been.
Only time will tell whether he made the right move.
Just as many "can't miss" rb's have failed as Qb's.
You can laugh now, but franchise qb's are hard to find, if Dorsey sticks to his plan , Baker won't see the field until maybe next year, could be 2020 before he starts.
By then plenty if really good rb's will come and go.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.