nerdmann
5 years ago
Move this to another area of the forum if you want. Not sure where to put it.

Salk dot edu 

Cannabis removes amyloid plaques from the brain. This article talks about Alzheimer’s Disease, but you know what? Those are the same types of plaques that can build up in the brain ostensibly due to “post concussion syndrome.”

How about letting the boys light up? Ricky Williams was right. Decrease the long term impact of head trauma. I mean shit, Sam Shields should be on a program of two blunts per day.

“When we were able to identify the molecular basis of the inflammatory response to amyloid beta, it became clear that THC-like compounds that the nerve cells make themselves may be involved in protecting the cells from dying.”

Brain cells have switches known as receptors that can be activated by endocannabinoids, a class of lipid molecules made by the body that are used for intercellular signaling in the brain. The psychoactive effects of marijuana are caused by THC, a molecule similar in activity to endocannabinoids that can activate the same receptors. Physical activity results in the production of endocannabinoids and some studies have shown that exercise may slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
5 years ago
Yeah....let them all get high. That would solve everything.
Maybe let them drink booze on the sidelines between plays.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

How about “let them remove amyloid plaques from their brain.” Or better yet, “let them prevent amyloid plaques from building up in their brains.”

Maybe we’d get to salvage what’s left of the game as it currently exists.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I'm not sure it would solve "everything", but to punish a person for consuming something is something I struggle to believe to be acceptable. I'm also in the belief that if you want to drink, smoke or do a drug in the confines of your own home, you should be able to do so without punishment. Of course, you shouldn't be able to operate any kind of vehicle or leave your home until it's out of your system. The issue with my belief here is how do you know? How many selfish piece of shit ignorant wastes of skins get behind the wheel thinking they are sober enough to drive when the scumbag fucktard can't even walk straight?

I don't know what good booze would do anyone on the sideline. Maybe it would calm some nerves? I'm not sure where that came from.

On another note, we often times hear of players getting busted for using PED's and their initial usage comes from helping them recover from an injury. It's true, these help athletes recover from injuries so why not use this to HELP athletes? If certain PED's assist in a healthy recovery, and quicker, why not establish a process for this?

Either way, it's really bullshit the NFL continues to suspend players for off-field allegations, especially when there wasn't a charge or even a conviction. It's all about advertising and sponsor dollars because PEOPLE are idiots. If one of the 1,696 NFL Players hits his wife and the NFL is sponsored by Ford, then the idiots go "Ford supports men beating their wives!!".

Freedom of speech ... what a curse it is.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

Cannabis removes amyloid plaques from the brain.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No. A million times no. This kind of flagrant misrepresentation of science research in the alternative health movement -- and, believe me, it's rampant* -- drives me nuts. It puts people's lives in danger by offering them false hope and encouraging them to avoid therapies, as imperfect as they might be, that can provide real improvement to quality of life.

All this study showed is that THC was associated with a reduction in the number of amyloid plaques in isolated neurons grown in a Petri dish. You simply cannot extrapolate from preliminary bench findings like these to clinical significance. It is unjustifiable to assert, based on this study, that THC would have a similar effect in animal brains. Bleach kills cancer cells very effectively in the lab; that doesn't make it a cure for cancer.

And even if THC does turn out to have this effect in real brains, there's no guarantee that it would slow the progression of, much less reverse, Alzheimer disease. Most of our attempts to treat Alzheimer disease by combating amyloid plaque deposition have resulted in miserable failure.

The unfortunate truth is that we still don't know what the actual significance of amyloid plaques in brain pathology might be. We don't know if amyloid deposition causes Alzheimer, if it's a byproduct of Alzheimer, or if it might even be the brain's protective defense against Alzheimer. Similarly, we don't know whether traumatic brain injuries cause amyloid plaques or the plaques are the brain's response to injury.

You know what there is solid clinical evidence for? The fact that marijuana use causes global reductions in brain bloodflow . Guess where the greatest reduction is? In the hippocampus . . . the very area of the brain Alzheimer disease attacks first, the area responsible for memory coding. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

UserPostedImage
Example of a volume rendered brain SPECT image (top down view) of a healthy control compared to an 18-year old daily user of marijuana. While the control subject has symmetric activity, the marijuana user shows overall decreased perfusion.

_________
* I recently watched a presentation by the notorious Joel Wallach, DVM, ND, and I counted literally hundreds of unjustifiable extrapolations, misrepresentations of research, and outright fabrications in the space of less than two hours. It was both infuriating and horrifying. People soak that shit up, because it makes them feel superior and it caters to their sense of disenfranchisement with the establishment, and it ends up hurting them. Sometimes killing them. This kind of vile hucksterism is criminal, as far as I am concerned.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I'm fine with people who want to put toxins or drugs or whatever into their own body in their own home. What I have trouble with is the pro-weed group saying weed has no negative at all. That's complete horseshit. I've been stoned a few times and it killed my brain processing power. Things I could normally process immediately, took much time to do.

Hell, one example. After a hit, I impatiently said "Where's your nose, I need to blow my bathroom". He casually raised his arm up, placed an extended finger on his nose and said "right here". I looked at him, glared at him annoyingly saying "wheres your bathroom?". He goes "Ohh, you wanna know where the BATHROOM is... down the hall, 2nd door on left".

I didn't even realize I completely butchered the phrase. I sat back down and said "what the hell was that about" he looked at me and laughed and told me what happened.

Maybe everyone else handles it better than me, but that was the last time I even considered experimenting with it.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I'm not against people baking up. I'm all for drug legalization and letting people do whatever they want to their own bodies. What I'm against is assholes making unwarranted claims that can get the uninformed and deluded hurt or even killed.

There's no evidence that cannabis can prevent or reverse Alzheimer disease. What research does exist has failed to show any prevention of cognitive decline  in cannabis users versus nonusers. Because I don't think there's any plausible mechanism for how cannabis would treat Alzheimer, I'd be willing to bet a week's paycheck that eventually we'll find out pretty conclusively that cannabis doesn't do shit for Alzheimer in the real world. But until the evidence is in, I don't think we should be making wild claims one way or the other.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

No. A million times no. This kind of flagrant misrepresentation of science research in the alternative health movement -- and, believe me, it's rampant* -- drives me nuts. It puts people's lives in danger by offering them false hope and encouraging them to avoid therapies, as imperfect as they might be, that can provide real improvement to quality of life.

All this study showed is that THC was associated with a reduction in the number of amyloid plaques in isolated neurons grown in a Petri dish. You simply cannot extrapolate from preliminary bench findings like these to clinical significance. It is unjustifiable to assert, based on this study, that THC would have a similar effect in animal brains. Bleach kills cancer cells very effectively in the lab; that doesn't make it a cure for cancer.

And even if THC does turn out to have this effect in real brains, there's no guarantee that it would slow the progression of, much less reverse, Alzheimer disease. Most of our attempts to treat Alzheimer disease by combating amyloid plaque deposition have resulted in miserable failure.

The unfortunate truth is that we still don't know what the actual significance of amyloid plaques in brain pathology might be. We don't know if amyloid deposition causes Alzheimer, if it's a byproduct of Alzheimer, or if it might even be the brain's protective defense against Alzheimer. Similarly, we don't know whether traumatic brain injuries cause amyloid plaques or the plaques are the brain's response to injury.

You know what there is solid clinical evidence for? The fact that marijuana use causes global reductions in brain bloodflow . Guess where the greatest reduction is? In the hippocampus . . . the very area of the brain Alzheimer disease attacks first, the area responsible for memory coding. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

UserPostedImage
Example of a volume rendered brain SPECT image (top down view) of a healthy control compared to an 18-year old daily user of marijuana. While the control subject has symmetric activity, the marijuana user shows overall decreased perfusion.

_________
* I recently watched a presentation by the notorious Joel Wallach, DVM, ND, and I counted literally hundreds of unjustifiable extrapolations, misrepresentations of research, and outright fabrications in the space of less than two hours. It was both infuriating and horrifying. People soak that shit up, because it makes them feel superior and it caters to their sense of disenfranchisement with the establishment, and it ends up hurting them. Sometimes killing them. This kind of vile hucksterism is criminal, as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Salk dot edu is the alternative health movement?

Awards and Accolades 

Endowed Chairs
The Joan Klein and Irwin Mark Jacobs Senior Scientist Endowed Chair Challenge began in 2008 to encourage donors to establish endowed chairs for Salk senior scientists. For every $2 million donor contribution toward a chair, the Jacobs added $1 million to achieve the $3 million required to fully endow a chair. To date, the Jacobs Challenge has resulted in 18 chairs.
VIEW CHAIR HOLDERS»
Developmental Chairs
This academic honor is bestowed on scientists in recognition of their achievements in their field of study and to further support their careers. The impressive number of chairs awarded to Salk Institute’s assistant and associate professors reflects the excellence and promise of their scientific research.
VIEW CHAIR HOLDERS»
FACULTY AWARDS & HONORS
Nobel Prize
The Nobel Prize is widely regarded as the most prestigious award given for intellectual achievement in the world. As stipulated by Alfred Nobel in his will, it is awarded “to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind.”
VIEW»
Albert Lasker Awards
The Lasker Award, which has come to be known as the “American Nobel,” recognizes basic researchers and clinical scientists whose work has been seminal to understanding and treating disease and is the most coveted award in medical science.
VIEW»
Gairdner Foundation International Award
The Gairdner is one of the most prestigious awards in all of science. Founded by the late Toronto businessman James Gairdner, the Gairdner Award recognizes medical scientists “whose seminal discoveries and major scientific contributions constitute tangible and significant achievement in biomedical sciences.”
VIEW»
National Academy of Sciences
The National Academy of Sciences is an organization of scientists and engineers established by Congress and dedicated to the furtherance of science and its use for the general welfare. Members and foreign associates are elected in recognition of their distinguished and continuing achievements in original research. Currently, one in four Salk scientists is a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
VIEW»
National Academy of Medicine
With a mission to advise the nation on matters of health and medicine and provide a broad view of the research enterprise, members of the National Academy of Medicine help guide medical and scientific research and identify priorities for the nation.
VIEW»
National Academy of Engineering
The National Academy of Engineering promotes the technological welfare of the nation by marshaling the knowledge and insights of eminent members of the engineering profession.
VIEW»
National Medal of Science
The National Medal of Science is an honor bestowed by the President of the United States to individuals who have made important contributions to the advancement of knowledge in the fields of behavioral and social sciences, biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics.
VIEW»
Fellows of the Royal Society
The Royal Society is a Fellowship of the world’s most eminent scientists and the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence. The Society’s fundamental purpose is to recognize, promote and support excellence in science and to encourage the development and use of science for the benefit of humanity.
VIEW»
American Academy of Arts and Sciences
Founded in 1780, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences is an independent policy research center that conducts multidisciplinary studies of complex and emerging problems. The Academy’s elected members are leaders in the academic disciplines, the arts, business and public affairs.
VIEW»
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigators
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s flagship program, where leading scientists—called investigators—are selected through rigorous national competitions to direct Institute laboratories on the campuses of universities, research institutes and medical centers throughout the United States. The HHMI is a nonprofit medical research organization that ranks as one of the nation’s largest philanthropies, and plays a powerful role in advancing biomedical research and science education in the United States.
VIEW»
American Philosophical Society Members
The American Philosophical Society is an eminent scholarly organization of international reputation that promotes useful knowledge in the sciences and humanities through excellence in scholarly research, professional meetings, publications, library resources and community outreach. Founded in 1743, it is this country’s first learned society, and has played an important role in American cultural and intellectual life for over 265 years.
VIEW»

nerdmann
5 years ago

I'm not against people baking up. I'm all for drug legalization and letting people do whatever they want to their own bodies. What I'm against is assholes making unwarranted claims that can get the uninformed and deluded hurt or even killed.

There's no evidence that cannabis can prevent or reverse Alzheimer disease. What research does exist has failed to show any prevention of cognitive decline  in cannabis users versus nonusers. Because I don't think there's any plausible mechanism for how cannabis would treat Alzheimer, I'd be willing to bet a week's paycheck that eventually we'll find out pretty conclusively that cannabis doesn't do shit for Alzheimer in the real world. But until the evidence is in, I don't think we should be making wild claims one way or the other.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I agree that Jonas Salk made unwarranted claims and got a lot of people killed, but he is widely regarded as being a part of reputable medicine in the mainstream.
isocleas2
5 years ago
I've had some differing opinions with Nerd about some of his alt-medicine views, but Cannabis has some real potential.

They're finally being allowed to do some studies on Cannabis which should have been done decades ago, right now where I live (Colorado) we have alot of marijuana refugee families. The biggest reason for them moving here is epilepsy treatment, people who've had seizures all their life sometimes over a hundred a day are trying to save whats left of their brains using CBD oil. Its having remarkable effects some people eliminate them entirely or reduce it down to a couple seizures a day. One of the treatments is currently getting FDA approval.

Happy, hungry, and sleepy.

We make fun of stoners passing out on the couch (its true), but I've seen vets who couldn't sleep because of night terrors and ptsd, having something that knocks you out for 6 hours can save their life.

I've seen cancer patients dealing with chronic pain and nausea from chemo treatments use marijuana to keep food down/maintain body weight when nothing else worked.

I had a neighbor who has multiple sclerosis, when it got really bad where he couldn't talk he'd use some cannabis products and it was remarkable the effect it had on him. He'd even sometimes get out of the wheelchair and walk around a little which his Doctors didn't believe he could do anymore.

Another former neighbor (from back in Wisconsin), gives their adult son cbd oil to help with his bi-polar, in the 30+ years I've known him he's had a number of manic episodes that basically lead to him no longer being able to take care of himself. He's finally showing enough potential to be able to maybe get his own place again (which everyone pretty much gave up on).

I don't know if this Alzheimer's theory will pan out but considering how little we know about cannabis's medical uses and the promising potential its so far showing i'm not willing to write it off. I don't understand much of the medical jargon being used in this article but it seems like a legit site.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.4311 

Here we show that a low dose of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) reversed the age-related decline in cognitive performance of mice aged 12 and 18 months (which is old for a mouse).

From what former players have said it's apparently pretty damn easy to get a team doctor to prescribe opioids, Favre wasn't the only one with a vicodin addiction. There's been studies showing marijuana can be a valid replacement for some of these uses, there's a massive study involving veterans being done right now that may verify it but anecdotal evidence so far is encouraging.

Tweak your back/knee on sunday and having trouble sleeping, they may have a new solution...

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.