Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

That makes me suspect that strong words may have been exchanged.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Possibly, but I doubt it. I agree with Vic Ketchman that the SI article was probably the last straw. There were just too many leaks in the article to be tolerable for an organization that historically guards the privacy of its internal affairs so zealously. After that article hit the stands, McCarthy was probably gone at the end of the season no matter what happened the rest of the way. But Murphy likely went into this weekend having already decided that a loss to arguably the worst team in football would result in an immediate severing of ties. I'd be surprised if McCarthy himself didn't suspect that his next loss would be his swansong. Certainly he looked utterly defeated after the game. He had to have known he's been a dead man walking for a while now.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
I honestly never heard about the SI article. What was said?

I’m glad for the Super Bowl win. McCarthy was as his best that year, motivation wise. He SHOULD have had more SB wins.
That said, I wish him well (except against the Packers of course).
He gave us some exciting years as Packer fans.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

Lol stop. Mike McCarthy didnt teach rodgers shit. And its fans like u who make this fan base seem like cluless weak homers. Good riddance to a coach who couldnt coach worth a damn and will be more exposed on his new team.

And all those accomplishments were inspite of him trying to throw games away with his crappy calls.

We all seen how he is without an elite qb. Hes jeff fisher status. Belichick can go 14-6 with 3 different qbs not named brady. Mike McCarthy has some embarrassing losing record without favre or rodgers improvising his shitty game plans and calls.

Even favre himself said some of the calls were so bad that in the huddle he would say "fuck that, were not calling that play".

But yea lets be classy for a guy who was a cancer of this team.

Did u cry this much when amhad carrol got released? Or how about cledius hunt? I sure as hell didnt. I was rejoicing like i am now because they didnt contribute shit but mind boggling plays. The same as MM

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Not only did Mike m as ke Aaron what he was, he brought Bert Favor back into a high level of play.

Same as he did with Aaron Brooks and Rich Gannon, who had been a career journeyman backup before Mike.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Lol stop. Mike McCarthy didnt teach rodgers shit. And its fans like u who make this fan base seem like cluless weak homers. Good riddance to a coach who couldnt coach worth a damn and will be more exposed on his new team.

And all those accomplishments were inspite of him trying to throw games away with his crappy calls.

We all seen how he is without an elite qb. Hes jeff fisher status. Belichick can go 14-6 with 3 different qbs not named brady. Mike McCarthy has some embarrassing losing record without favre or rodgers improvising his shitty game plans and calls.

Even favre himself said some of the calls were so bad that in the huddle he would say "fuck that, were not calling that play".

But yea lets be classy for a guy who was a cancer of this team.

Did u cry this much when amhad carrol got released? Or how about cledius hunt? I sure as hell didnt. I was rejoicing like i am now because they didnt contribute shit but mind boggling plays. The same as MM

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

So you are saying Aaron Rodgers walked off the field at Cal and onto Lambeau the player he is today. A 1st ballot HOFer.

You need to go to FB and post your bullshit.
This site is full of very knowledgable football fans, you are not one of them.

Most of those knowledgable football fans remain quiet, as they don't want to respond to the type of nonsense you are spewing.

Change was neccessary, the way it was done was not.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
macbob
5 years ago
McCarthy getting fired brings conflicting emotions for me.

On one hand, McCarthy provided the single best season I've seen since the Lombardi era (2010), and no, it's not because of the SuperBowl. That was just icing on the cake.

2010 was memorable for me because two teams (Cowboys and Vikings) fired their head coaches right after playing the Packers. I couldn't have picked better teams that I would have liked that to happen to.

On the other hand, I've been ready for him to leave since 2014. The last three years (2016-2018) have been mediocre at best. And two of those 3 years have been with Aaron Rodgers in the lineup.

2016: 4-6 start, took a 6-game run to get to 10-6 and make the playoffs. 2-1 in the playoffs (beat the Cowboys in OT, but blown out at Arizona).
2017: 7-9
2018: 4-7-1
Total: 21-22-1 (a below-.500 record!) regular season. 23-23-1 with playoffs included.

So, for me it's bitter sweet. I will fondly remember McCarthy's earlier years, but not his recent years. I wish him well, and would like to see him picked up for another HC opportunity.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
I agree macbob, this is bittersweet. He is not the worst coach in the NFL. Actually he's one of the better ones. (pound for pound. 😉 )

He was able to motivate players in the past. In his early years he made halftime adjustments that turned games around. He's a nice guy that I wouldn't mind hanging out with from time to time.

On the flip side he was probably too nice at times. I feel the team would have won more games if he didn't try to milk the clock so often. Running up the middle three times and then punting doesn't work unless you have some real run blocking hogs on the OL. Even then you probably need a tough FB and perhaps a stellar blocking TE because the defense is going to want to stuff 8-9 defenders into the box. He always tried to get the "statement win" by getting a 8 minute 80 yard 15 play drive to end the game. That wasn't their forte.

All the best Mike. You will be in the Packer HoF when your career is done.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Only packers game I have attended in green bay was December 9 2007 when they blasted the raiders. I went to that game after traveling from Canada, British Columbia specifically. So thanks, mike, for having the team up and ready for the raiders that day and not ruining my trip. And also 2011.

Originally Posted by: jdlax 

Wow. The only other Packer fan I know of with BC, Raider, Packer connection is Raider Pride. It's an interesting trifecta.

I haven't seen him in a year or so.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
5 years ago
This will be an interesting time...and challenge.

First, I don't want to see this change result in a change at DC. Opening a door for positive change is one thing. Creating a revolving door is something totally different. Give Pettine a chance for his stuff to take hold. It's certainly showing some signs even with what seems like half the guys out at times.

Secondly, finding the right coach for this job is no easy proposition. This is not a scenario where a young and bright OC is coming to a team with a young and talented QB ready to soak up whatever the coach asks.

This is Aaron Rodgers and your job will depend on that relationship. He's a smart but complicated guy so selling him won't be easy. Rodgers has to buy into a coach who demands better mechanics and running the offensive plan...in a way Arod respects and welcomes.
No easy task.
I have no idea who that guy is but if I'm one of the candidates on the other end it would be enticing for sure but a decision I would have to think long and hard about.
"The train is leaving the station."
bboystyle
5 years ago

So you are saying Aaron Rodgers walked off the field at Cal and onto Lambeau the player he is today. A 1st ballot HOFer.

You need to go to FB and post your bullshit.
This site is full of very knowledgable football fans, you are not one of them.

Most of those knowledgable football fans remain quiet, as they don't want to respond to the type of nonsense you are spewing.

Change was neccessary, the way it was done was not.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

So u are telling me Mike McCarthy coached up rodgers to be one of the greats? U cant coach accuracy and mobility, thats something the players has to get better at which rodgers did with practice and patience. Sitting for 3 years helped rodgers moreso then fat boy. Where was he at when Rodgers was begging to be coached up after the horrid 2015 season? No where. Cuz he isnt a coach or a qb guru. Never has been and never will be. U guys are clueless when it comes to this. Only fan boys and facebook users think Mike McCarthy is a great coach. Anyone with a lick of football knowledge can tell u he wqs the issue of holding back this offense and ots not just rodgers who called it out.
bboystyle
5 years ago

Not only did Mike m as ke Aaron what he was, he brought Bert Favor back into a high level of play.

Same as he did with Aaron Brooks and Rich Gannon, who had been a career journeyman backup before Mike.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He did not bring bert back to high level of play. That 2007 was a cup cake schedule. The bounce back from 2005 and 2006 was due to easy schedule.

And like always, his team lost the nfc ship game.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.