DoddPower
5 years ago

In his first year as having direct responsibility for the head coach of the Green Bay Packers, CEO Mark Murphy fired Mike McCarthy. Now, Murphy will hire his replacement. Monday's press conference explaining the decision to make a change made it clear that Murphy will be making the decision. However, he'll do it with active [more]

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

Mike Florio wrote:

This doesn't inspire confidence. Gute still isn't going to have full control.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
I finally got the chance to listen to the Murphy/Gute press conference....observations:
- they handled the firing with class
- they are tired of the 'structure question':
- In any 'normal' team scenario, a GM is going to need to get a approval from the 'owner' on the hire anyway.
- Both guys have to like the candidate. Our situation is only slightly different...its a distinction without a difference.
- I give Murphy credit for having the stones to step up and wear the big boy pants, instead of waiting and blaming Gute if it doesn't work.
- Murphy's ass is on the line with the selection
- I think they believe our people, especially on the offensive side of the ball, are a helluva lot better than I do.
- Rodgers, Daniels, Williams, Bhaktiari, or any other veteran can opine on candidates or desired attributes
- Gute believes Mike McCarthy lost the locker room
- For whatever reason, they really don't want to talk about Pettine...which is odd to me

Also, I wish they would do a better job mic'ing up the press so we could hear the questions.

I just have this funny feeling about Arians. I think he would like to put in 3-4 years...about the same time period as Rodgers. He has the ego, reputation, and resume to coach 12 up.

On another pleasant note, did anyone hear Rodgers in his comments that he was WITH HIS PARENTS at his home when he found out. I was happy to hear that.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
If we went with an "older" guy I would definitely like to see Arians. I have swore often because of this dude. I think if there is a guy who would take no shit from a QB who may need to be "coached" he is they guy.
beast
5 years ago

This doesn't inspire confidence. Gute still isn't going to have full control.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I think it does inspire confidence... they're looking for someone that make them BOTH comfortable, not one or the other... neither should have complete control and it seems like like they realize thing, which is a great thing, and that inspires confidence in me.

Just like was said about Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady, if either one dislikes a play, they both have veto power and it's automatically thrown out and they go to other plays... this sounds like the same thing, so both Murphy and Gute have veto power. It's smart and better than either one having full control of this choice.

- they are tired of the 'structure question':
- In any 'normal' team scenario, a GM is going to need to get a approval from the 'owner' on the hire anyway.
- Both guys have to like the candidate. Our situation is only slightly different...its a distinction without a difference.

- For whatever reason, they really don't want to talk about Pettine...which is odd to me

On another pleasant note, did anyone hear Rodgers in his comments that he was WITH HIS PARENTS at his home when he found out. I was happy to hear that.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Thank you very much for breaking that down! They got a point with the owner thing... at least if you can say Murphy is the owner, or works directly for them... My main thing is I was it to be a football guy making the decision, and as Murphy said, I think he counts as a football guy, though I'm not sure if all Presidents would.

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about the Pettine thing... though not wanting to talk about him, actually gives me some hope they want to keep him and not to raise any attention to him, just like they did with Rus Ball for years, until there was a chance he might get a promotion or something might change, so I'm kinda hoping this means, they're hoping nothing with change on him (but that's clearly me reaching and using an assumption).

Nope, I didn't hear about the Parents, thanks for pointing that out.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago

I think it does inspire confidence... they're looking for someone that make them BOTH comfortable, not one or the other... neither should have complete control and it seems like like they realize thing, which is a great thing, and that inspires confidence in me.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Eh, Murphy definitely does not inspire confidence for me. I'm glad he does for you, but I'm pretty pessimistic about him. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gute though, so perhaps it'll all work out in the end.

buckeyepackfan
5 years ago
Not sure what kind of coach they will get if he isnt allowed to hire his staff.

Does this mean that Philbin and Pettine are gone at the end of this year?

Most likely the rest of the coaching staff will be fired.

Sounda to me Murphy is going to continue this power trip at the expense of The Packers!

No veteran coach is going to come to Green Bay, and what kind of respect will a young noname get from veteran players?

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
I don't know. The veterans on the Rams squad seem to respect Sean McVay just fine.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Eh, Murphy definitely does not inspire confidence for me. I'm glad he does for you, but I'm pretty pessimistic about him. I'm cautiously optimistic about Gute though, so perhaps it'll all work out in the end.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Murphy himself doesn't inspire confidence the confidence for me, it's the idea that they SEEM to be working together and that it SEEMS that they BOTH have the veto power to say, nope this guy is out for me and he's out, until they narrow it down to one.

I don't fully trust any one person, which is why I like the teamwork, and both Murphy and Gute seem more like football guys, more than say a Bruce Allen, which I don't trust at all.

Not sure what kind of coach they will get if he isnt allowed to hire his staff.

Does this mean that Philbin and Pettine are gone at the end of this year?

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Coaches have kept successful guys on their staff... Pettine joined the staff while the Packers kept some of their defensive coaches. The Bears offensive head coach joined them, and kept their successful defensive coordinator... the Colts head coach kept the coaches that the Colts signed when McDaniels wanted them signed before he backed out and ran back to the Patriots. So if we're talking about partial staff, I think it happens a lot more than one would think.

Hopefully Pettine and the defensive staff that he wants is kept... though seems like LB coach Moss has been pissy and rough with the media all season... maybe after not getting a promotion? He might need to go, if he's not happy.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

I don't know. The veterans on the Rams squad seem to respect Sean McVay just fine.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Agreed, if you're respectful and have success, you get respect back... it's that simple.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
5 years ago

Agreed, if you're respectful and have success, you get respect back... it's that simple.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Winning cures all!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13m) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (15m) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (31m) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (19h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (22h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.