Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
The new Alliance of American Football will debut it's first game on February 9th. CBS will broadcast a game each Sunday and conclude with the leagues championship game in April. The league's inaugural teams are:
Arizona Hotshots
Atlanta Legends
Birmingham Iron
Memphis Express
Orlando Apollos
Salt Lake Stallions
San Antonio Commanders
San Diego Fleet

Each team will have 50 players. There will be no Kickoffs. A 30 second play clock will be employed and 2 point conversions will be mandatory. The "Wilson" footballs will have alternating red, white, and blue bands (similar to college footballs). Oher new rules will also apply in this league, but that will be fun to discover as well.

I plan to view this new league and will reserve my right to pick a favorite team as I please. That said, I look forward to extending my football enjoyment by becoming a regular viewer.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
It's great that this thread is being viewed, yet I would like to read your post about this new American football league. AAF.com is the home site for this league and perhaps a visit might generate more members to comment. Team colors, rosters, logos, and more may be found on their home site.

Scott Tolzien will be the QB for one of these new teams. Many players from the major colleges fill the rosters for these new teams. Some hope to impress enough to get offers from NFL teams.

AAF 1.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
5 years ago
I am going to pay attention. I think some of the colors in your graphic don't line up with the team names though.

Who is rooting for the Arizona Hot Shots?!?!?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago

I am going to pay attention. I think some of the colors in your graphic don't line up with the team names though.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

I must say that you are already paying attention as the team colors indeed do not match up with the correct teams. Thank you for your most observant catch. Perhaps I may be forgiven for not catching it myself as this is a very new league.

AAF 2 (the correction).png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

AAF 3.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago
I don't think I'll ever actually see a game over on this side of the Atlantic, but I'm all for some competition for the NFL. Every time a start-up actually made it through that first fase and started to be sustainable, the NFL got better, as well.

Even if they didn't, they can make quite an impact. Broadcasting of the games changed drastically because of the XFL.

That said, the thing that I noticed most so far are the names. They're 25% USFL. And not even the best ones. Stallions and Express. I sorta like the Stallions, but the Express is so bland.

I don't like the Birmingham Iron, either. It's such a nothing-name. The Apollos makes no sense for a football team. The Legends is as bland as it gets and the legendarily bad headliens write themselves.

The rest is ok. Like I said, Stallions is pretty good, Commanders are decent, Fleet is really cool and I'll give Hotshots a pass. Not because I like the name all that much, but it is very meaningful and an awesome way to honour those firefighters.

That said, I do like to see how this pans out. If they can make a profit while cutting down on more than 30 minutes of commercials, maybe the NFL will have to follow suit, at least a bit.

I'm also very interested in what the "Fan engament bonus" means.
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
With the number of College players that don't make it onto an NFL roster playing for AAF teams, and that this league does not begin play until the NFL concludes it's season, no serious competition will exist. In fact, some players may just find their way to an NFL team by playing in the AAF. Also, some players may extend their football carriers beyond their time on NFL teams.

If this new league succeeds, and I believe that it will, look for expansion teams in places like New York. Chicago, Miami, or even Las Vegas. This ten team league could double itself inside of 6 years. If it really takes off, cities like Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay may well join the new "Alliance".

Rest assured that they will find a way for it's games to be seen via pay per view streaming. They may even allow their Sunday broadcast to stream for free for a few seasons until they get a following.

As for the team names/logos/colors it will just have to be something that we will just have to grin and bear. 😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
NFL rules state you're only eligible to be in the NFL after you've been out of high school for three years. I wonder if players will join this league and forego college? I would hope not many as they'd be forfeiting an education and college ball probably gets you seen easier.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

NFL rules state you're only eligible to be in the NFL after you've been out of high school for three years. I wonder if players will join this league and forego college? I would hope not many as they'd be forfeiting an education and college ball probably gets you seen easier.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I really think the education many football/basketball players get is negligible. They take the easiest classes possible to stay NCAA eligible. Basketball 1 and done hardly even go to class.

Don't get me wrong, there are some who use college for what it was originally intended. To be student athletes and get an education. AAF will be an outlet for some.

With all the teams for the most part in the southern 1/3 of the country I have to wonder how much interest they will generate in the north and northeast even the Atlantic and Pacific seaboards. Yes they have televised games but interest will be slow in materializing.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
One thing I forgot to bring up before, cities with Domed Stadiums. Cities like Indianapolis, Detroit, and Minneapolis/St Paul could support a team during the worst winter weather. That could help to foster more interest in more areas beyond the original teams.

Another consideration to consider, teams get bought and moved to new locations. With that can come team name changes, logo changes, and team color changes as well. So let's say the Memphis team gets sold and moves to Detroit, they may keep the colors but change the name to an animal like the Vipers or the Dragons.

I don't know if the field dimensions will be the same as the NFL or if it will be different as the CFL is. The goal post, hash marks, end zone, etc., will anything be physically different? The Football will have stripes, similar to the college football. The Officials are yet another question, how many and will they dress in "Zebra" gear ?

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
The new Alliance of American Football will play and air it's first ever game on Saturday night, February 9, 2019. Then they will begin regular Sunday games the next day.

Football Lives On

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (5h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (16h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (16h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (22h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.