Zero2Cool
5 years ago
https://theinsidezone.com/football-101-offensive-personnel 

“21” Personnel
As explained, “21” would mean 2 backs and 1 tight end, leaving you with 2 wide receivers. This personnel is also named as “regular”. This is pretty balanced personnel as you have 2 wide receivers with the option to use your tight end or running back in the passing game but also the tight end and fullback for the running game.

Here is how it can look on the field:
UserPostedImage

This is the Denver Broncos using “21” personnel. In this particular play, Denver run the ball with running back CJ Anderson. The opposing defense respect a possible pass play with a single high safety.

“11” Personnel
“11” personnel (also named “Posse”) is very popular in the NFL as it is very versatile. “11” meaning 1 running back and 1 tight end, so that leaves you with 3 wide receivers. When people see 3 wide receivers, they think “passing play” but its not always the case. You still have a tight end on the field who can block in the run game but you can also use wide receivers as blockers (crack toss, crack sweep) with an option to run trick plays like reverses or end around plays. Let’s look at this personnel’s versatility:

UserPostedImage

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are in “11” personnel. This is a common look when using “11” personnel with your X, Z and slot receiver in the game with the tight end lined up as an in-line Y.

UserPostedImage

The Pittsburgh Steelers are in “11” personnel but this lineup is different from the previous photo. In this play, the Steelers have a running back in the backfield but they have lined up the tight end on the outside on the line of scrimmage. In this play, the Steelers are using a “four verticals” concept, the post route from the slot looks to attack between the safeties.

UserPostedImage

The Minnesota Vikings are in “11” personnel and operate the play out of a bunch formation. Using sail concept against the New Orleans Saints, this is the game winning miracle in the 2018 NFL playoff game.

“12” Personnel
“12” personnel, also called “Ace”, is very popular in the NFL for the running game due to the extra tight end. “12” personnel uses 1 running back and 2 tight ends, using 2 tight ends on the line of scrimmage gives you 7 big blockers. The New England Patriots used “12” personnel very well as they were able to use it heavily in the passing game.

Here is a look at how it can be used:
UserPostedImage

This is the Atlanta Falcons using “12” personnel in the redzone. They line everyone tight showing a possible run play like crack toss or crack sweep. What they actually do is use wider receiver Julio Jones to run an end around but will receive the ball through a pass and not a hand off.

“22” Personnel

This is a very run heavy personnel as there are 2 running backs (can be 1 running back, 1 fullback) and 2 tight ends. This personnel is also called “Tank”. It can also be called “Tank Plus” which is when they have an extra offensive lineman in instead of a second tight end.

Here is a look:
UserPostedImage

Here is the Denver Broncos using “22” personnel who have a tight end on either side of the offensive line. This run heavy look gets the Indianapolis Colts to have 9 defenders in the box.

Other Personnel groupings
“13” personnel (Heavy) – 1RB, 3TE, 1WR

“00” personnel – 0RB, 0TE, 5WR

“01” personnel – 0RB, 1TE, 4WR

“02” personnel – 0RB, 2TE, 3WR

“10” personnel – 1RB, 0TE, 4WR

“20” personnel – 2RB, 0TE, 3WR

“23” personnel – 2RB, 3TE, 0WR

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
excellent post

I wonder whether offenses make tendencies so much easier to track when they always use the same players at the same positions.

Why not use regularly a TE in the backfield instead or a running back? The can block, they can routes out of the backfield (heck they could run it or catch a screen as well.) This tactic would confuse defenses and potentially allow more advantageous match-ups. (Like when we innovatively used Montgomery out of the backfield) Beast has an excellent write-up on receivers out to the backfield in PAYTON BREES thread.

Further if the offense were to motion TE's or WR's out of the backfield, it further confuses defenses and force match-ups in the offenses favor.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Smokey
5 years ago
Z2C, you have presented one of the best threads that I've seen in a long while. Your opening post needs to be carefully studied by myself and this forums members. It can not only educate many that truly need the education, but elevate the level of intelligence in many post as it should lower the amount of disagreements. I tried to present a similar thread not long ago. It profiled the offensive philosophy that HC LaFleur will be using with the Packers. I offer that article again as I believe that it fits perfectly in this thread.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-fr...lt-by-shanahan-and-mcvay

GoPackGo !

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.