earthquake
5 years ago

Many of us lose a friend or a family member too early in our lives. I've experienced both, it still hurts. Cole Madison deserves our empathy, but his reaction demonstrates that he is not mentally tough enough to play professional football. It is a shame, but none could have predicted this situation. Although GB looks to have lost a prime draft pick/player, these things happen in life and the best we can do is just move on.

Let us turn the page, and try again. 🤷

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Ripping a guy because he cares more about getting his life in order after his friend's suicide... All because you're angry he's not playing in a dumb game for your amusement. Yeah, that sure is mental toughness. Well done you, you really showed him.

Speaking as someone who lost two relatives to suicide in the last 4 months, you can just fuck right off.
blank
Cheesey
5 years ago
When I was 16 I lost my dog, my grandpa died, and my dad died all within 3 weeks.
When I was 36 I had to put my dog to sleep (cancer) my father in law died and my only brother died all within 18 days.
Everyone deals with death in their own way. If this was the first he had to deal with, it probably is harder for him.
It’s nit easy when you lose loved ones, whether family or friends.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago

Ripping a guy because he cares more about getting his life in order after his friend's suicide... All because you're angry he's not playing in a dumb game for your amusement. Yeah, that sure is mental toughness. Well done you, you really showed him.

Speaking as someone who lost two relatives to suicide in the last 4 months, you can just fuck right off.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Edit: Deleted my post because it feels like testing fate. But Smokey is not in the wrong.
sschind
5 years ago

I lost my father, my Grandfather, and a close Aunt within a 3 month period of time. In addition, I had only just started a new job working for the Federal Government. Attending the funerals nearly cost me a long sought after career job. The stress I was under was unbelievable. I put one foot in front the other and managed it all one day at a time. In the end I was required to provide proof of my Grandfather's Death or face being fired. So don't tell me that people can't work through hard situations.

Sitting around having a pity party is no way of dealing with ones problems. Cole Madison's pity party has only hurt Cole Madison.

Who is saying he is having a pity party. You have no clue as to what HE is going through. You know what you went through but you have no idea how it is for someone else. You didn't say if your father, grandfather or close aunt committed suicide. I'm not trying to lessen your experience but IMO suicide is much worse and depending on the circumstance it could be incalculably worse. You went through some tough times and you got through it. That is great for you and hopefully Cole Madison will too.

You are saying that if he doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with the loss of a close friend he doesn't have the mental toughness to play in the NFL. I call BS on that one. I can't think of anything that a player could go through in the NFL that would compare. If you asked any player who suffered a career ending injury (that's probably the toughest thing I can think of) if they would rather have that or losing a close friend to suicide I would bet you anything they would say to a man they would prefer the injury.

Just because someone doesn't man up and tough it out just like you did doesn't make him weak.

sschind
5 years ago

You know something is wrong when Smokey and I agree on something. This happened 3 months before the draft, he could have given teams a heads up his head wasn't in it anymore instead of screwing over whatever unsuspecting team drafted him.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Yeah, lets all jump on the guy for not thinking about something as insignificant as telling an NFL team that my head may not be in it after a close friend kills himself. Who knows, maybe he thought his head was in it. Maybe he thought playing in the NFL would be his way to honor his friend and he had every intention of playing but found out he couldn't deal with it.

You're pissed because the Packers spent a 5th round pick on him and he didn't report. Big freaking deal.
Smokey
5 years ago
Some of you completely missed my point. Yes a 5th round draft pick no show hurts the Packers, but Depression is a certified medical condition. I suspect that Cole Madison is suffering from Depression. It causes one to close themself off from people and not deal with the reason/s for the Depression. When I said pity party, I meant it. Madison may be suffering a chemical imbalance where he is not producing enough serotonin. A Dr. and the correct prescription could help him. Often the first step, admitting a problem exist and seeing a Physicist, is the hardest part.

Well meaning family and friends don't always understand that coddling someone with Depression is the worst thing and only prolongs treatment. The death of his friend may have just been the trigger that put Cole Madison into the downward spiral that drains one of emotional control.

I did not slam this young man, rather I hope that he fares well and gets the help that he seems to need.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago
I don't give care what your life experience where, if you're kicking someone while they down and out your acting like a fucking jackass!

It's not like we're actually paying Madison, because if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid(unless the Packers choose otherwise). It's not like Madison is talking shit, making a lot of noise or getting on TMZ got doing stupid shit. He's minding his own damn business which is to say he's better than all of us right now. But he's a professional players, except he's not because he's choosing not to get paid.

It's anyone right to turn down millions of dollars and potential fame to do what they feel is best for them, that's their choice, if you don't like it, that's too bad because it's not your freaking life and not your choice.

It's great that Smokey could get through his stuff and come out clean on the other side, and that says a lot about him as a person.

That being said he's Mr. Macho comparison of himself to Cole Madison is egoist bullshit as the situations aren't even close.

Cole's teammate committed suicide with a teammate gun (potential could of been Cole's gun) did Smokey weapons take his loved ones lives? Cole was working directly with his teammates and struggled to go back to work that he did directly with his loved one, when Smokey went back to work was it at a job where he worked directly besides his loved ones, celebrating after each big play on the practice field. Also this kid was about his same age, we kinda expect we might have to bury the generations that came before us (not that it's easy) but how about someone your age at under 25 years of age at that...

And different people go through different mental shit and their battles can be harder than ares, so can we please stop talking shit about a person who is minding their own damn business after choosing to turn down a lot of money and maybe a little bit of fame. Could any of us turn down $800,000 for doing something we're physical fit enough to do? Probably not... And that's what he has done.

UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Some of you completely missed my point. Yes a 5th round draft pick no show hurts the Packers, but Depression is a certified medical condition. I suspect that Cole Madison is suffering from Depression. It causes one to close themself off from people and not deal with the reason/s for the Depression. When I said pity party, I meant it. Madison may be suffering a chemical imbalance where he is not producing enough serotonin. A Dr. and the correct prescription could help him. Often the first step, admitting a problem exist and seeing a Physicist, is the hardest part.

Well meaning family and friends don't always understand that coddling someone with Depression is the worst thing and only prolongs treatment. The death of his friend may have just been the trigger that put Cole Madison into the downward spiral that drains one of emotional control.

I did not slam this young man, rather I hope that he fares well and gets the help that he seems to need.

Smokey your intentions might of meant well, but your words choices seemed to slammed him, as well as did your comparison to why he's not though enough the hard times of the NFL like you were to your hard times.

Sounds like you have the book answer for depression, but while the book helps, as those actually with depression will tell you, it's sure not the complete answer either.

Earlier you assumed mental weakness, now you assume coddling, what you fail to realize none of this could be happening and a person still has a mental problem, this isn't go pop a pill and talk tough to him and problem is fixed.

Mental illness happens to mentally strong people as well, who aren't ever coddled... making these assumptions that they're weaker or less knowledge than you is slamming the kid and his family.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
5 years ago

Smokey your intentions might of meant well, but your words choices seemed to slammed him, as well as did your comparison to why he's not though enough the hard times of the NFL like you were to your hard times.

Sounds like you have the book answer for depression, but while the book helps, as those actually with depression will tell you, it's sure not the complete answer either.

Earlier you assumed mental weakness, now you assume coddling, what you fail to realize none of this could be happening and a person still has a mental problem, this isn't go pop a pill and talk tough to him and problem is fixed.

Mental illness happens to mentally strong people as well, who aren't ever coddled... making these assumptions that they're weaker or less knowledge than you is slamming the kid and his family.

Originally Posted by: beast 

A lot you don't know. Without revealing any confidences, I can say that I have had direct and personal experience in this area. Discussing the patient's underlying problems is where a qualified Physicist is critical. As for popping a pill to cure Depression, it can be a necessary part of treatment. Correcting any chemical imbalances is a necessary part of treatment. The patient thinks clearer when there is no chemical imbalance.

As for how his family is handling this, that is an unknown. Depression is not something that most understand. The patient falls into a slippery slide where only professional help can rescue the patient from the dark emotions that have taken control. Mentally strong/weak is not the issue, Depression can bring down either and if not treated it can ruin a life. A professional medical examination by a qualified Physicist is the proper course of action. All too often the patient is unwilling to be examined as they can believe that they are being committed and may have to be tricked into getting help.

All too often people won't admit that a loved one needs professional help. They can't accept that one of their family could be suffering from a mental illness. As a result they protect the patient instead of reaching out for the help that is ready and available.

Cole Madison may or may not have Depression, but I suspect that he does. He also may already be getting professional help. Weather he ever plays football again is secondary compared to escaping from the dark pit of Depression. I wish him all the best.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
5 years ago
Lots of overreaction in this thread, no one is kicking anyone when they're down.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (46m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.