beast
5 years ago

RB - I love the two we have, but we really need a quality guy who can step in.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I very much agree, I think the Packers have about all the starting pieces for LaFleur's offensive, except maybe a power RB who might be talented enough to start.

Don't get me wrong, I love Aaron Jones, but looking at the Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur offensive, they pretty much always had starting power RBs with the exception of the very early Redskins years.

Also Jones has had some injury troubles with MM's less running calls, can he handle a higher volume of runs? Though to be fair, Jones has gotten hurt more often while pass blocking than while with the ball. So maybe more runs and routes and less pass blocking might keep him healthier.

Not necessarily a workhorse, especially not a tailback, but someone, from a college system who has experience in blitz pick-up and can carry the ball effectively and reliably. Jamaal Williams like...in fact a clone would be fine with me.

You'll have to tell me how you define/mean by tailback.... as to me, tailback = RB, though it seems to mean a certain type of RB to you.

I've been wondering how Williams might do in that power RB role. But one thing for sure is LaFleur will get more out of Williams verstility, including having him involved in the passing game where Williams looks like a natural WR with the ball in the air.

ILB - Not to beat a dead horse, as this has been discussed in the past but with Ryan departure, and the underwhelming first year performance of Burks we need someone. I hope Morrison was a stop-gap until Burks is ready (which I hope is now) but regardless, we need a guy there, and not just plug-in in a safety all the time.

Just my opinion, but Morrison sucked... I much prefer the Safety.

Also they're not just plugging in a Safety, as the entire NFL is moving more towards smaller, faster LBers, which are basically larger Safety and some large college Safeties are becoming full time LBers.

I think they should be strongly considering that with Josh Jones, he's got the power for coverage LB, but struggle in Safety coverage, but at LB, he's over athleticism for the position allows him to make up for mistakes, that he doesn't at Safety. And I believe he did play a lot of LB one year in college.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

I agree with all your points, apart from this one. I think you actually might be ahead of the curve. Positional value for tight ends has been, in my opinion, undervalued for years. Just take a look at what difference a guy like Graham, Gronkowski or Gonzalez makes.

That said, there's no one I would pick at 12 this year, but I wouldn't mind picking a TE that high. Guard or ILB, those are positions I generally wouldn't spend a high pick on.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

If the ahead of the curve is a compliment, let's be clear, I don't know squat about college players, lol. I'm just basing my opinion off of all the top 25 and top 50 and top 100 lists I've been seeing. It's just analysis by observation more than anything.

If the entire league undervalues TE's, why would you take one sooner? That makes no sense. Drafting is kind of like a chess game, at least I think. I've heard someone on the Patriots say if they knew Tom Brady was going to be as great as he is, they'd have drafted in the first round. I pound the desk saying WHY!?!!? Why use your 1st round pick on someone no one is gonna take until you do at 199th overall? Hell, maybe having all 32 teams pass on him 5 times or so is what DROVE him to be the QB he is now?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Beast berated:

Just my opinion, but Morrison sucked... I much prefer the Safety.

Absolutely correct on Morrison!! Always filled the wrong hole and was late on everything.

That not withstanding, it would be nice to have guy who could plug a hole on run other than Blake M.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
5 years ago
I ran the TDN mocks a number of times, and the results I thought worked best for us is when I took Hockensen at 12 and Adderley at 30. There are some quality OL available in the second and third, possibly, like Risner and Edwards. I really think we need to bolster the line with two picks if possible, so Cody Ford or Jonah Williams at 12 is an option too.

They should have their eyes out for another RB who can succeed in a zone blocking scheme and catch the ball, too.
gbguy20
5 years ago
It's not always a bad thing when you end up in the wrong hole.
warhawk
5 years ago
The way I look at it is drafting BPA IS filling a need. After all those months and longer of evaluating hundreds of players in how they fit your scheme, character, desire, upside, etc, that culminates in a board from best on down given only a few minutes to decide if you are going to trust the process.

The draft is the one opportunity that when your on the clock there is no competition. You can choose whoever you want. At that moment the GM has the chance to select the player with the greatest potential to contribute at the highest level for your team over the next 4-5 years and hopefully beyond.

What you hope for is a player or two like Alexander who comes out of the gate contributing at a high level but what you strive for is players like Clark and Adams who didn't necessarily come of the gate hot but are now core players for this team.

Team needs will change over the next few years. They will change next year. The need to put the best 53 on the field and find the most core type players you can rely on year in year out will not.

Why I wouldn't draft for need? Your drafting a player that happens to play a position where the player you had wasn't very good. If that player you take is not as good as others you could have chosen you are taking baby steps that will just leave your team going round and around. Never getting to the best you can be at any position. Isn't this why we are somewhat in that position now after Ted Thompson more or less chased his tale for three years?

BDP- Best damn player. PLEASE!

"The train is leaving the station."
5 years ago
 Screenshot_20190320-221132.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Question on David Edwards...especially since we have guys on the ground in Wisconsin...What is with the shoulder?

Many of us have him rated highly, but might he be foregoing the senior year because it is not healing well? I hate to be cynical, but just asking? He did not bench at the combine, so just asking?
Smokey
5 years ago

Question on David Edwards...especially since we have guys on the ground in Wisconsin...What is with the shoulder?

Many of us have him rated highly, but might he be foregoing the senior year because it is not healing well? I hate to be cynical, but just asking? He did not bench at the combine, so just asking?

Some of us have never heard of David Edwards. Could you please provide some bio info.

Thank You .
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
This is the guy who did not do any benchpress at the combine and apparently has the shoulder issue which I am inquiring about:
Today, in our own backyard at Yankee Stadium, David Edwards, a massive offensive tackle prospect from Wisconsin, will be playing in the Pinstripe Bowl. The game is at 5:15 pm EST and is on ESPN.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/12/27/18157137/2019-draft-prospect-ot-david-edwards-wisconsin 

Edwards is a towering 6’ 7”, 320 lbs behemoth with quality movement skills for a man his size and the power to make a difference in the run game. He is a red shirt junior who came to Wisconsin as a 240 lbs tight end and is still learning the techniques that will make him a force in the NFL. Edwards shows great power in the run game that will only get better once he learns better leverage and hand usage.

Every player at the collegiate level needs refinement to play at a NFL level of proficiency, Edwards more than most because of his inexperience at the position. The thing to look for in college players is the talent necessary to make the transition to the next level. Edwards has the size, length, tenacity, power and enough movement skills to project as a plus player at his position.

Edwards has experience playing against Big Ten players like Nick Bosa, Chase Winovich and Anthony Nelson and he has performed well against them. Let’s take a look at some video from a 2017 game against Ohio State. Edwards is playing right tackle #79.

On this play Wisconsin is pulling the backside tackle to clean out the hole in an off tackle run to the right. Edwards’ job on this play is to make a cursory chip of the DE to open the hole, then move quickly to give the running back a downfield block. Because the linebacker crashes the hole and the CB drops back into zone coverage Edwards’ responsibility is to block the CB, who is the defender closest to the play.

Edwards is simply not agile enough (no OT is) to block a much smaller and quicker player. The technique used on this play is to simply stay square to the defender and wait for the RB to come up behind you. The defender has to pick a direction (right or left) to get around the blocker. Once the CB chooses, Edwards is supposed to use the defenders’ own momentum to move him in the same direction and the RB should cut off the backside of Edwards and into open space. This never happens on the play because the backside tackle and guard get tangled and miss their blocks. Nonetheless Edwards moves easily to the second level, breaks down nicely under control and is ready to make a block on the CB.

On this next play Edwards has to explode off the snap, get to the next level and cut off a pursuing ILB. This is a tough block, as the ILB is positioned to the inside of Edwards at the outset. The ILB is flowing to his right and his job is to protect against a cut back by the RB to his left.

Edwards does a good job of reaching the smaller, quicker player and using his strength to force him away from the expected hole and into oblivion. This play is designed for the RB to eventually cut back to his right, but penetration by the Ohio State defense destroys that option. Nonetheless, Edwards did his job on this play.

This next play is a play action pass that is blown up by a missed block by the center and a QB who can’t hit a wide open man because of pressure.

There are four things to notice on this play: 1) Edwards does a nice job of pushing his man outside and mirroring him so he is far away from his QB. 2) You can see how Edwards uses his length well and gains great position by getting his hands inside the DE, controlling him with ease. 3) Edwards does all this while starting from a three point stance which makes it more difficult. Wisconsin tackles use three point stances often, but Edwards will rarely use a three point stance in the NFL outside of short yardage and goal line plays. 4) The Ohio State player, #11 Jalyn Holmes, is 6’ 5” and 270 lbs, and he looks considerably smaller than Edwards.

The next clip is two consecutive plays using two different blocking schemes. Edwards is in a three point stance on each play.

The first play is a zone blocking scheme and Edwards is keeping his man controlled while allowing the RB to choose which hole he wishes to cut into. Edwards does a nice job of getting to his man and getting great position on him, keeping himself between the defender and the RB.

The second play Edwards allows his man to take himself out of the play by directing him up field while the RB is picking a hole in the center of the line. Edwards projects best in a power or gap blocking scheme, but these plays show he has enough mobility to hold his own in a zone blocking scheme as well.

The last clip shows Edwards in two pass sets. Early in Edwards’ pro career pass sets should be his biggest test as an offensive tackle.

In the first play the defender tries to power his way by Edwards while trying to slap his arms away in an effort to gain the edge; he was unsuccessful. The second is an attempt to feign an outside rush then quickly spin move himself free on the inside; again unsuccessful.

Edwards is a player who has played very well but has been under the radar as a prospect in the shadow of Jonah Williams and Dalton Risner. Edwards projects best as a right tackle prospect, but if he works on his footwork he might be able to transition over to the left side.

Edwards needs work on technique, but more of an adjustment than an overhaul. He needs better leverage in run blocking and he needs better balance especially on reach blocks. His massive size will likely prevent him from ever being great in space, but he can use that size effectively in space if he works on angles and avoiding false steps. Edwards will need a much better slide step and his hand usage is hit or miss at times. These are things that can be improved by a good offensive line coach plus the desire to get better.

It will be interesting to see Edwards at the NFL Combine to see how he matches up athletically with other tackle prospects. I currently have a mid second round grade on Edwards but that may change as I continue to assess his tape. Edwards has the right type of frame (long arms, massive body with plus strength) to develop into an above average player and a force on any offensive line. The key is whether he will put in the hard work necessary to maximize his talents. Today at the Pinstripe Bowl you can have a front row seat to judge for yourself.