Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
With well over 2 months before the 2019 NFL Draft, much research and planning and speculation lie ahead. I placed this thread in the "Around the NFL" because it is not just for the Packer's Draft, but for every team. A better understanding of the other teams elevates this forum's knowledge level

I look forward to reading post from the members on this subject. šŸ˜
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago
With the first pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals are expected to take Nick Bosa DE from Ohio State U.

San Francisco has the 2nd pick and are projected grab a DT. Alabama's Quinnen Williams seems to be the top DT going into the draft.

Some are predicting that 7 of the top 10 picks will be defensive players. GB is expected to also take a defensive player with their 1st draft pick at #12. Will that pick be a DE/OLB or a Safety or will they go in another direction and grab a OT (to train for replacing Bolaga).

Dwayne Haskins, the Ohio State QB could be the 1st QB taken and he may just go to the NYGs with their #6 first round pick.

The Lions will pick ahead of the Packers with the #8 pick and may take a LB. Their LB's rated poorly last season and a Leader like LSU's Devin White might just fill that need.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago

The Lions will pick ahead of the Packers with the #8 pick and may take a LB. Their LB's rated poorly last season and a Leader like LSU's Devin White might just fill that need.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Devin White is who I am hoping we take with our first pick to help solidify the middle of the field. Almost everything I have read on the guy has been positive. I am not crazy about many of the Edge guys that have been mocked to us. Unfortunately Edge seems to be a position where you over draft as a good pass rush is so important.

gbguy20
5 years ago
I accidentally watched an Ohio state game on YouTube the other night and haskins looked terrible
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Agreed, I hope someone takes Haskins high. I dont see it...I see JaMarcus Russell.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Smokey
  • Smokey
5 years ago

Agreed, I hope someone takes Haskins high. I don't see it...I see JaMarcus Russell.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

You could be right, but the NYG may not agree. Personally I think this draft class is a little weak on QBs. This could however be a big draft year for defensive players.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
One of the fun aspects about the NFL draft is some teams will draft for need, and others (the good teams) draft the best football players. Who does what, that's the fun part.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
4 years ago
Not wanting GB to trade their draft picks this year, I would hope that they pick a TE and a OT with their first round picks. The second round pick could be a best player available (BPA) pick, I would like to see them pick a WR or a Safety. The remaining picks, as usual IMO, are a gamble. Some excel and some don't.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. šŸ˜
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
I thought this was pretty good analysis of possible available draft talent, although I don't agree with his slotting in Cole Madison as a starter at this point, krk
What Offensive Linemen Are Worth it at 12
By Brandon Carwile on Apr 14, 2019 with 10 Comments

Offensive Linemen at #12 
The Packers offensive line already looks better than it did a season ago with the addition of Billy Turner and arrival of last yearā€™s fifth-round pick Cole Madison. Both will be immediate upgrades over Byron Bell and Justin McCray.

Turner offers a versatile skill set with the ability to play both guard and tackle. Seemingly, he will be the front-runner to start at right guard come training camp considering Green Bay handed him a decent deal of four-years, $28 million.

Also, Madisonā€™s arrival last Monday was a pleasant surprise. The former right tackle out of Washington State sat out last season coping with the death of a former teammate and close friend. Coaches and team personnel evaluators were high on Madison because of his athleticism and ability to play tackle and guard. When he left, Green Bay had to scramble and ended up signing Bell who went on to play 12 games in 2018, starting nine. As we now know, disaster ensued.

Keeping Aaron Rodgers healthy is a top priority and his risk of injury only heightens as he gets older. Last year was a good example of how not to do it as he was a victim of 49 sacks. The Packers had a revolving door along the right side of the line with injuries to Bryan Bulaga and unstable play at guard. The result was Rodgers playing the entire year on a sprained knee and broken leg.

This team canā€™t afford a repeat of the 2018 offense if they expect better results this year. Quite frankly, last yearā€™s performance was as bad as itā€™s ever been under Rodgers. A culmination of poor offensive line play, inexperienced receivers, and a broken system led them to only six wins. Unfortunately for first-year coach Matt LaFleur, the idea of a rebuilding year doesnā€™t exist in Green Bay. As it shouldnā€™t with a quarterback like Rodgers.

If the Packers want to get back to the playoffs next season, it will start up front and Green Bay shouldnā€™t be done adding to their group of offensive linemen. In less than two weeks, general manager Brian Gutekunst will be on the clock with two first-round selections. Yes, taking an offensive lineman in the first goes against the Packers mantra. However, they face enough uncertainty along the line that nothing can be ruled out. For the moment, right guard is still a question mark and Bulaga has only played two full years in his eight NFL seasons. Couple that with the fact that the 30-year-old tackle is entering the final year of his contract.

Using the 12thoverall pick on an offensive lineman would send shockwaves through the fanbase but fans should prepare themselves now for the unexpected. After all, itā€™s a new era in Green Bay.

Here are three lineman prospects that might warrant a top-12 pick:

Jonah Williams, Alabama

A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, Williams probably has the best technique and fundamentals in the class. He started all 44 games of his college career with 29 at left tackle and 15 at right. Williams might be the safest bet among offensive lineman prospect due to his size, lateral quickness, and functional play strength. His main knock is that some scouts project him to move to guard in the NFL because of his smaller frame and shorter arm length. Feel free to consider that a negative trait because in Williams a team will get a guy that can potentially start at three different positions and would be rock solid at all three. Him falling to 12 could be a blessing in disguise as the Packers might be able to grab a 10-year starter.

Jawaan Taylor, Florida

Taylor is generating so much buzz, it would come as a complete shock for him to fall out of the top 10. However, this is the one of the most unpredictable events in sports weā€™re talking about in the NFL draft. Taylor started 33 games at right tackle with a few sprinkled in on the left. Heā€™s the true definition of a dancing bear standing at 6-5 310 pounds with feet as a nimble as a ballerinaā€™s. Taylor helped Floridaā€™s offensive line surrender only 18 sacks in 2018. His longs arms and powerful punch at the point of attack has scouts drooling over his upside. Expect Taylor to be starting in the league for a long time and probably the first lineman off the board come April 25th. If he is still around when the Packers are on the clock at 12, you would be hard pressed to argue against him as the best player available.

Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Even though he started all 14 games at right tackle last year, Ford is a guard through and through. This is where things start to get grey as his stock best projects somewhere in the late teens of the first. However, if he goes only a few picks after 12 then itā€™s hard to call it a reach. His biggest concern is inexperience with only one season as a full-time starter. On the other hand, scouts believe he has a high ceiling and a bright future as an NFL guard. Ford is a massive prospect that possesses an even-cut frame and nasty strength to finish as a blocker. His feet tend to get him into trouble which is why he will likely move to guard. This isnā€™t a knock on his abilities, though, as he still has the tools to develop into a productive interior lineman on the next level.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Using the 12thoverall pick on an offensive lineman would send shockwaves through the fanbase but fans should prepare themselves now for the unexpected. After all, itā€™s a new era in Green Bay.

Here are three lineman prospects that might warrant a top-12 pick:

Jonah Williams, Alabama

A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, Williams probably has the best technique and fundamentals in the class. He started all 44 games of his college career with 29 at left tackle and 15 at right. Williams might be the safest bet among offensive lineman prospect due to his size, lateral quickness, and functional play strength. His main knock is that some scouts project him to move to guard in the NFL because of his smaller frame and shorter arm length. Feel free to consider that a negative trait because in Williams a team will get a guy that can potentially start at three different positions and would be rock solid at all three. Him falling to 12 could be a blessing in disguise as the Packers might be able to grab a 10-year starter.

Jawaan Taylor, Florida

Taylor is generating so much buzz, it would come as a complete shock for him to fall out of the top 10. However, this is the one of the most unpredictable events in sports weā€™re talking about in the NFL draft. Taylor started 33 games at right tackle with a few sprinkled in on the left. Heā€™s the true definition of a dancing bear standing at 6-5 310 pounds with feet as a nimble as a ballerinaā€™s. Taylor helped Floridaā€™s offensive line surrender only 18 sacks in 2018. His longs arms and powerful punch at the point of attack has scouts drooling over his upside. Expect Taylor to be starting in the league for a long time and probably the first lineman off the board come April 25th. If he is still around when the Packers are on the clock at 12, you would be hard pressed to argue against him as the best player available.

Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Even though he started all 14 games at right tackle last year, Ford is a guard through and through. This is where things start to get grey as his stock best projects somewhere in the late teens of the first. However, if he goes only a few picks after 12 then itā€™s hard to call it a reach. His biggest concern is inexperience with only one season as a full-time starter. On the other hand, scouts believe he has a high ceiling and a bright future as an NFL guard. Ford is a massive prospect that possesses an even-cut frame and nasty strength to finish as a blocker. His feet tend to get him into trouble which is why he will likely move to guard. This isnā€™t a knock on his abilities, though, as he still has the tools to develop into a productive interior lineman on the next level.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

I don't know who is the real "expert" when it comes to who is the best player to draft.

Walters has them ranked:
9. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida.
10. Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma.
29. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama.

Bleacher Report:
8. Jonah Williams, OT
25. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
26. Cody Ford, OG, Oklahoma

DraftTek:
7 Jawaan Taylor Florida OT
6 Jonah Williams Alabama OT
51 Cody Ford Oklahoma OG

PFF:
4. OT JONAH WILLIAMS, ALABAMA
15. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR, FLORIDA
22. OT CODY FORD, OKLAHOMA

TSN:
12. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida
19. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
24. Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma

CBS:
6 Jawaan Taylor Florida Jr OL
13 Jonah Williams Alabama Jr OL
16 Cody Ford Oklahoma Jr OL

Someone else who gets some attention is Andre Dillard Washington St. Sr
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? šŸ„ŗ I think that means you missed more than half of them šŸ˜¢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead šŸ¤Ŗ
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.