wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

While there were a number of issues on offense for the Green Bay Packers last season, one in particular that needed to be fixed was the lack of production from the tight end position. But really, this has been an issue for a number of seasons, not just in 2018. Over the years to solve [...]

Continue Reading @ PackersTalk 

PackersTalk wrote:

I personally don't care who makes the catch as long as someone catches the rock. But over the last couple of weeks I have heard a lot of people get excited about GB involving the TE more.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
The tight end position is key in Lafleur's offense. But what is lacking in the article is how important the TE is in blocking.

If the TE's don't block well, the run game will be anemic....and I saw some anemic blocks from our TE's Thursday night, which in turn, leads to an anemic run game.

If the run game continues to be a non-threat, the play action pass will not be a threat and all the talk of our increased use of the TE will be mute.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
gbguy20
4 years ago
wpr
  • wpr
4 years ago
If fixed your twitter link.
under the "bb/" box is a link for twitter. The only portion you need for your link is 1171162573477175306. When you do it this way everyone can see it without going to the actual twitter page.

My question is what does Cobb have to do with the TE position? Is he playing TE these days?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
This was a good article about Mercedes Lewis.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago

If fixed your twitter link.
under the "bb/" box is a link for twitter. The only portion you need for your link is 1171162573477175306. When you do it this way everyone can see it without going to the actual twitter page.

My question is what does Cobb have to do with the TE position? Is he playing TE these days?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

There was nowhere relevant to post it. This was the quickest and easiest way to do it. It was fun to watch so I shared it.
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
I’m glad to see us using TE’s more. I’m sure in turn it will drop the production of Davante Adams though. But it doesn’t really matter I guess as long as somebody is catching it lol.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

You and me both. Never should’ve let him go. He’s got a lot of years left.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
4 years ago

There was nowhere relevant to post it. This was the quickest and easiest way to do it. It was fun to watch so I shared it.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Ok. Cool. I wanted to know if I missed something.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

After almost calling it quits, Marcedes Lewis finds himself in a meaningful role with Packers’ new offense

Jason Wilde

Marcedes Lewis was finished. With the season. With the Packers. And, perhaps, football altogether.

In the wake of the team’s season-ending shutout loss to the Lions last December – a game in which Lewis played four measly snaps – the veteran tight end packed up his belongings and prepared to head home to California, ready to put what had turned out to be the biggest wasted year of his football life behind him. Maybe even retire.

“That was definitely in my mind right after the season,” Lewis recounted to The Athletic Wisconsin late last week, after catching two passes for 14 yards in the Packers’ opening-night victory over the Bears at Soldier Field. “Right after that (Lions) game, I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know about this.’ ”

And then, Lewis’ phone rang. At the other end of the line was Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst, asking him to come back to the team’s Lambeau Field headquarters and talk.

Lewis didn’t see the point. Gutekunst pressed. Lewis finally relented and turned around and returned to the stadium.

“I was on my way to the airport. I was on my way out of town. And I didn’t want to come back,” Lewis continued. “But I met with him.”

The meeting lasted for more than an hour. Gutekunst apologized for how little Lewis had been used by ex-head coach Mike McCarthy and the previous coaching staff, having seen him play just 190 of the team’s 1,074 offensive snaps (17.7 percent).

He apologized for Lewis’ role not matching what he’d promised when the Packers signed Lewis to a one-year, $2.1 million free-agent deal after he’d been cut by Jacksonville. Gutekunst had thought he was giving quarterback Aaron Rodgers an experienced trio of tight end targets with Jimmy Graham, Lance Kendricks and Lewis, who’d caught 24 passes for 318 yards and five touchdowns for the Jaguars in 2017.

Instead, the coaches typecast Lewis as a blocking tight end. He wound up having only four targets in the passing game and finished with three catches for 39 yards – such a paltry total that, had Lewis made a contorting back-shoulder catch of a Rodgers throw during the fourth quarter of Thursday night’s win over the Bears, Lewis would have matched his reception total from last season in one game.

“Coming here, I thought there was a plan, and it didn’t go that way. Had it not been for ’12’ (Rodgers) and ‘80’ (Graham) to kind of keep my head in it. …” Lewis said, his voice trailing off. “It was one of those years where it’s like, ‘Man, I’ve done this for a lot of years, done well for myself.’

“But it took a lot to just continue week after week, to not be involved, to not even show the respect to try to get the tight ends involved. Not just me, but the tight ends in general. So for it to flip-flop this year and be out there playing football and running plays, it’s a different feeling.”

And that was the last item on Gutekunst’s conversational to-do list: The GM told Lewis that if he came back for another year in 2019, things would be different – even though the Packers had yet to hire McCarthy’s replacement.

About a week after their conversation, the Packers tabbed 39-year-old Matt LaFleur, who is only four years older than Lewis and one of the NFL’s bright up-and-coming offensive minds. Two months after that, on March 14, Lewis signed another one-year, $2.1 million contract, the same deal he had the previous year.

But based on what happened against the Bears, that’s the only similarity Lewis will experience from last season to this season.

“Me and Gutey have a good relationship. He’s just a genuine dude – always has been to me, from the moment I walked in this building,” Lewis said. “I trusted him. And he’s stayed true to his word.”

Against the Bears, LaFleur deployed two-tight end personnel groups on 20 of the offense’s 64 snaps, and there was at least one tight end on the field for every single snap. Not only did Lewis play 34 snaps (53%), but Graham (35 snaps) and Robert Tonyan (25 snaps) also played extensively. Of Rodgers’ 18 completions, seven went to tight ends for 72 yards and the game’s only touchdown.

LaFleur has spoken often about the importance of the tight end in his offense (“That’s an extremely important position for an offense because you can really create some advantages,” he said recently), and it certainly didn’t hurt Lewis’ chances when LaFleur tabbed ex-Jaguars offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett to be his coordinator in Green Bay.

“I’m a big fan of Marcedes. He did a great job when we were at Jacksonville and we missed him when he left,” Hackett said during training camp. “The No. 1 thing is how he prepares himself as a pro. For as much as he can do at the point of contact in the pass protection game, for us, he was a threat in the red zone at Jacksonville. And all those things are things we want to ramp up with him here. I think that’s going to mean some great things for him.

“I think he’s going he’s going to help us a bunch.”

He’s certainly off to a strong start. After putting on extra weight last year for his blocking-centric role, Lewis slimmed down through extra running and mixed martial arts workouts in Hollywood, excited that LaFleur and Hackett intended to use him in more varied ways. He weighed 266 pounds to start the season – and feeling like another weight, that of having an unimportant role had been lifted.

“It’s a mixture of both – it’s Matt and the scheme, and it being pretty tight end-friendly. But it’s also Nate, because he knows what I can do, from blocking to being able to catch the ball,” Lewis said. “I can still get up the field, I can still catch the rock.

“For me, I’ve never been a ‘me’ guy. I just want to win. So when my number’s called, whatever it is, just be accountable. That’s how I felt. Last year was me like being a third tackle. Then Jimmy just running clear-out routes, not necessarily running routes for Jimmy. There was just a dysfunction.

“But this year, we’ve been able to streamline it and say, ‘OK, Marcedes, you’re the true Y. Jimmy, you’re the F, the move-around guy. Rob, you’re a package guy, you’re going to come in when Jimmy goes out, you’re going to go in 12 (personnel) with Marcedes.’ It’s really meaningful, purposeful reps. That gave me my love back for it, and it makes me want to work hard for it.

“I still have some football left in me, and I want to do it the right way. And (Thursday’s game) was just the tip of the iceberg. It felt good to be back out there and be in a meaningful role in the game.”

Jason Wilde wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.