Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Nope I didn't misunderstanding the cap, I just understand the fact that looking at a single year of the cap is set up to lie and your spreading the lie as truth.

Nelson being released saved 10.2 million

The second Graham signed (and didn't retire) cost the Packers $11 million in guarantees spread over the first 5 years or the life of the contract, which ever is shorter.

You're falsely arguing that since it's spread out over the 3 years it's not as much, but that's a lie as the fact is it's still $11 million dollars that you can't get back (unless he retires). Which is why there would be a $12.5+ million dead cap hit if we release him which you have totally failed to calculating to your numbers, as that money is already in Graham's pocket and has to hit the salary cap too)

If you only look at a single year then you fail to correct account for entire signing bonus... and the cap is nothing more than a delayed accounting system, the delayed part is way you need to look at more than one year.

Graham's first year of the contract cost the Packers more Nelson's final year... unless you put the single year blinders on... but money and available money can be moved from one year to another year, so there is no need for those blinders unless a team is over the single year limit (which isn't allowed) so the total money amount should be the focus than any single year (unless someone is over the limit).

Originally Posted by: beast 

Looking at a single year of the cap is set up to lie and I'm spreading the lie as truth? I'm a liar?

I said the $10 million cap space freed up by releasing Nelson was used on signing two players, Graham and Wilkerson, which it was. It is not a lie. It is not an argument. Check Spotrac. Check OverTheCap. Each source shows the salary cap hits.

For the 2018 season Jimmy Graham counted ~$6 against the salary cap.

Cutting Nelson and his bloated cap number next season saved the Packers $10.25 million. They turned around and used all that savings to sign Jimmy Graham ($5.67 million cap hit in 2018) and Muhammad Wilkerson ($4.7 million), two moves that will cost about $10.4 million total on the 2018 cap.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/19/packers-turned-jordy-nelson-into-an-early-splash-in-free-agency/ 

Zach Kruse wrote:

I'm a liar?

Graham's three-year, $30 million contract ate up $5.66 million of the 2018 cap, while Wilkerson's one-year, $4.7 million deal will count $4,587,500 on the cap.

Those two figures add up to almost exactly what receiver Jordy Nelson would have counted on the cap had the Packers not released him last week on the eve of free agency. They cleared off his base salary and bonuses, which totaled $10.25 million

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/272072/salary-cap-swap-jimmy-graham-plus-mo-wilkerson-equals-jordy-nelson 

Rob Demovsky wrote:

I'm a liar?

Packers turn Nelson’s contract into cap hits for Graham and Wilkerson

Graham and Wilkerson’s 2018 cap hits come in at approximately $5.7 million and $4.9 million respectively, less than the $12.5 million Nelson would have counted against the salary cap had the Packers not released him last week.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/21/17146198/cheese-curds-packers-turn-jordy-nelsons-contract-into-cap-hit-for-jimmy-graham-muhammad-wilkerson 

Jason Hirschhorn wrote:

I'm a liar?

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Enough lies already.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Enough lies already.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Jimminy crismas and Panotcheo!!!😂

(I know....it’s Jiminy Cricket, and ZERO2COOL!!!)😂 🤣 😂
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago
Yes when looking at it from a single year perspective the salary cap lies (unless the contracts have no signing bonuses in play).

As the official cap hit for Graham's first year was only $5,916,666 and yet the yearly cash hit was $13,250,000 for the same year.

The difference is the lie that the cap covers up... In reality, Graham cost the Packers $13,250,000 in his first year.... the cap says the first year cost
$5,916,666 in 2018 season
$3,666,666 in 2019 season
$3,666,666 in 2020 season
Which equals $13,250,000 for one single year...

So yes, the single cap number is hiding and lying because the NFL set it up to do that for the set of spreading cap hits over the life of the contract (or first 5 years, whichever is shorter).

Nelson's contact cost was only 10.2 million that year, Graham's first year contract cost was $13.2 (unless you use the system that breaks it up over a number of years and ignore the other years).

Nelson's contact saving didn't actually cover Graham's first year of his contract... much less a second person.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago
The official cap number determines what the team can do in that cap year, with regard to signing or extending other players in a given year. Thus, it's logically and commonly the figure that is used when this sort of discussion comes up. The Packers saved a certain amount of cap space in 2018 by cutting Jordy, cap space that they were able to use to sign other players in 2018.

The number paid to the player in a specific year is often different than the cap figure. While interesting in an academic sense, it is irrelevant to the conversation at hand. The only situation this would matter is if for some reason the Packers couldn't afford to pay the money and had to file for bankruptcy or something. Or if you're very interested in how a player is filing their taxes or something like that.

Neither the cap figure nor the cash paid figure are "lies" or "hiding", they are simply two data points.
blank
beast
4 years ago

The official cap number determines what the team can do in that cap year, with regard to signing or extending other players in a given year.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Except the official cap is easily manipulated based on if the money is based salary or a signing bonus.

And the official pay determines the official cap... so the official cap is really a secondary figure for understanding anything except are they over or under the limit for this given year. A single year alone, literally does nothing else in the larger picture.

The number paid to the player in a specific year is often different than the cap figure. While interesting in an academic sense, it is irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

Considering the official pay is what determines the official salary cap it's not irrelevant at all... fans determine things based off the salary cap and can't seem to follow how the NFL handles all the cap numbers, when it's actually quite easy when you just follow the actual money as the actual money determines the cap.

People were arguing with me that we couldn't cut Nick Perry based his cap number and dead money hit.... I argued that based on the actually money you have to cut him... teams use the actual money to set up the cap. While the media and fan's follow the cap as it's somehow more important... when as long as you're under the limit, it's not important at all... it's just accounting for the actual cash money.

The only situation this would matter is if for some reason the Packers couldn't afford to pay the money and had to file for bankruptcy or something. Or if you're very interested in how a player is filing their taxes or something like that.

Not true at all... first off as an accountant, I might be very interested in how they're filling out their taxes 😁

But a much more important role is cost benefit analysis of whether to keep a player or not and how much it's costing to keep a player vs how much will it cost to get rid of a player.

Which is how I correctly predicted getting rid of Perry and keeping Graham.

People claimed we couldn't get rid of Perry because of the dead cap hit, but most of that was a sink cost meaning we were going to be hit with it no matter weather we kept him or got rid of him... and was a non-factor in the decision... just the new money was a factor.

People looked at Graham's cap number and said he had to go at that price, but part of that cap number was already paid in terms of signing bonus and no way they were getting that back.

I forget the actual numbers, but when Peppers cap number got huge in the final years, people demanding that he take at least a 4 million salary cut because that was too much to make in a single year.... but what they didn't realize is that 4 million of that cap number was already paid to him in the very first year and he actually wasn't making it that year, just that it was being accounted for that year.

The actual cash numbers matter a hell lot more to math nerds that actually understand what's going on...

As you can manipulate the hell out of the cap and the NFL cap is set up to allow teams to easily do that.... the cap follows the money, so to understand the cap, you follow the money... and the cap becomes quite easily to understand.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago
Let's simplify this argument.

Jimmy Graham = MISTAKE!
The longer Gutey holds on to him the larger the
MISTAKE becomes.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Nelson's contact cost was only 10.2 million that year, Graham's first year contract cost was $13.2 (unless you use the system that breaks it up over a number of years and ignore the other years).

Nelson's contact saving didn't actually cover Graham's first year of his contract... much less a second person.

Originally Posted by: beast 

For the 2018 season Jimmy Graham counted ~$6 against the salary cap. Multiple sources agree with this statement. Why? Because is it not a lie. It is not an argument. It is a fact. Check Spotrac. Check OverTheCap.

If you don't want to trust me, so be it, but other sources support the statement I made that you cowardly called a lie.

Cutting Nelson and his bloated cap number next season saved the Packers $10.25 million. They turned around and used all that savings to sign Jimmy Graham ($5.67 million cap hit in 2018) and Muhammad Wilkerson ($4.7 million), two moves that will cost about $10.4 million total on the 2018 cap.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/19/packers-turned-jordy-nelson-into-an-early-splash-in-free-agency/ 

Zach Kruse wrote:

Graham's three-year, $30 million contract ate up $5.66 million of the 2018 cap, while Wilkerson's one-year, $4.7 million deal will count $4,587,500 on the cap.

Those two figures add up to almost exactly what receiver Jordy Nelson would have counted on the cap had the Packers not released him last week on the eve of free agency. They cleared off his base salary and bonuses, which totaled $10.25 million

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/272072/salary-cap-swap-jimmy-graham-plus-mo-wilkerson-equals-jordy-nelson 

Rob Demovsky wrote:

Packers turn Nelson’s contract into cap hits for Graham and Wilkerson

Graham and Wilkerson’s 2018 cap hits come in at approximately $5.7 million and $4.9 million respectively, less than the $12.5 million Nelson would have counted against the salary cap had the Packers not released him last week.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/21/17146198/cheese-curds-packers-turn-jordy-nelsons-contract-into-cap-hit-for-jimmy-graham-muhammad-wilkerson 

Jason Hirschhorn wrote:

Now does that mean the Packers ONLY paid Graham $5.9 million in 2018? I don't care enough to research that, but what I do know is what counted against the salary cap and that is what my statement was predicated on. It was not a lie. It was not an argument.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Let's simplify this argument.

Jimmy Graham = MISTAKE!
The longer Gutey holds on to him the larger the
MISTAKE becomes.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Jimmy will stay on the Packers for 2019. Jimmy is gone for the 2020 season. The only question i how many snaps will he get for the rest of the season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (49m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.