Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Blake "Janitor" Martinez! What do you think about these comments in the tweets?

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
4 years ago
I believe him!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Doesn't matter to me. Gute & Co thought he was expendable. I'm ok with that.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
4 years ago
Sounds like Martinez is complaining that GB put him a bad position but that position was to follow up whatever the Smith Bros (and I would imagine Clark too) were doing, but what's there to complain about there? Also, did Martinez give a spin to explain the amount of zone coverage GB ran in pass situations? You know, in order to coverup the fact that he couldn't run with TEs or cover guys coming out of the backfield?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
4 years ago

I believe him!

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Of course, because while it out Martinez in a worse position, it out the team in better position, so both could very well true.

To me, it sounds like the edge rushers got two way go basically, and Martinez was told to the gap they don't go.

Sounds like Martinez is complaining that GB put him a bad position but that position was to follow up whatever the Smith Bros (and I would imagine Clark too) were doing, but what's there to complain about there? Also, did Martinez give a spin to explain the amount of zone coverage GB ran in pass situations? You know, in order to coverup the fact that he couldn't run with TEs or cover guys coming out of the backfield?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I'm still wanting a larger explanation for that, as they haven't played that much zone in a long long time. I don't think it was just for Martinez.

But maybe they didn't trust King one on one, and/or thought zone would make the QB hold it longer and more time for the pass rush to get there.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
4 years ago
Well they put him in position to make a bunch of tackles which is what so many of the people who think he's great are quick to point out. Quite the conundrum …. is his tackles a good or bad thing?
beast
4 years ago

Well they put him in position to make a bunch of tackles which is what so many of the people who think he's great are quick to point out. Quite the conundrum …. is his tackles a good or bad thing?

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

In general tackles being a good or bad thing, normally depend on the situation

Example, 2 tackles for -2 yards each might be better than 6 tackles 8 yards down field each.

Also for people in coverage, sometimes people hype a DB for huge tackles numbers, but the first thing you have to ask is how was his coverage, because sometimes bad coverage leads to HUGE tackle numbers as you're giving up the catch and just tackling him after he gained 8+ yards, too many of those is not winning.

And cleaning up for other guys misses, blown mistakes etc, might not be your fault that they're so far down the field.

I remember one time, Packers gave up a VERY LONG touchdown where S Bigby was running behind the guy, and we all (including myself), started bad mouthing Bigby and how slow he was.

But among review of that play after the game, that wasn't Bigby's fault at all, Bigby was supposed to be on complete other side of the field, and Nick Collins completely blew the coverage.... I was more surprised that Bigby realized it IMMEDIATELY and really hustled his butt over there to get close... he just didn't have the pure speed to run the guy down, but great effort Bigby.

Point being, that would of been a huge play down the field and that would of been a great tackle by Bigby if he could have made it.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Well....no surprise that Martinez would spin things to make himself look better.
He obviously thought he was somehow slighted by the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Well....no surprise that Martinez would spin things to make himself look better.
He obviously thought he was somehow slighted by the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I was kind of surprised. The guy just got paid, why talk like this? Why would anyone complain about cleaning up after Preston, Zadarius and Clark when the team witnessed success? I would think it shows you are a good team player more than anything. I didn't listen to the interview so maybe he wasn't complaining and was giving an answer as to why his numbers were down? Either way, I just didn't expect that from Blake.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

I was kind of surprised. The guy just got paid, why talk like this? Why would anyone complain about cleaning up after Preston, Zadarius and Clark when the team witnessed success? I would think it shows you are a good team player more than anything. I didn't listen to the interview so maybe he wasn't complaining and was giving an answer as to why his numbers were down? Either way, I just didn't expect that from Blake.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree! I haven't listened to this one either, but I generally find when I do get surprised and I do listen, normally it's just them actually answering the questions they were asked honestly in their opinion.

Also note, that in one of the articles, it almost sounded like it was fairly brief time talking about this, so I'm assuming very little of the conversation was this, just this is being blown up as being more interesting part to Packers fans.

Also note, (at least in my opinion) nothing he said was wrong...

He feels his value is more than the Packers offered (lots of employees feel that way about their employers, even in the NFL).

He doesn't feel the Packers value ILBers as much as other teams (I think I've said in the past, that I'm not sure the ILBer role in this defense is as valuable or as important as ILBers in other schemes, where as CB and DL are more important).

He was asked to let the edge rushers be the aggressive playmakers and clean up after them, which I don't think many will have a problem with that, it just sucks that he got less chances to actually be a playmaker himself, but you got to make decisions on scheme and he played his role.

This last part is the most interesting part, not because anything is wrong with it, but an insight into the scheme.

I'm not positive what it means, but I'm thinking it means the edge rushers would given options to do what they thought was best, and whatever they didn't do, Martinez was asked to do the opposite.

So if Z stayed on the outside, Martinez held the run gap on the inside, and if he crashed inside, Martinez had to get outside run gap.

Not bad to give your smart playmakers options, though if Martinez role is simply to react and get their fast, someone with more speed would be nice. But I would this that would also really help the Safeties that are trying to play LB as the ILBers had very little depth.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.