KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Unfortunately, for some of us, it's a choice between continuing our income vs isolating. Not all employers are willing to let you work from home. My current employer (leaving for new job next week) is telling people they have to return to work in phases. And the amount of hoops and inconveniences that are presented is astonishing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Congrats on the new gig. My point in is that for those people who need to work, it would be cruel to force them not to work. Regrettably, as you point out, many can't work from home. The office building I go to is a ghost town, so I am safer there than in my condo building.

Many employers are worried about liability, so they make people jump through hoops.

Half-Whitmer just released their so-called reopening plan....a joke. Guaranteed depression for Michigan unless there is an uprising.

There is a concerted effort to discredit HCQ as Orange Man promoted it. For the Dr.'s i talk to, if you take it early with zinc, and or Z-pack, it really seems to help. If you wait too long, its like Tamiflu for the regular flu....it doesn't work.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
3 years ago
That’s another good point. Apartment buildings and condos, you have people all around you. If one has the disease and touches a door or elevator button, then you touch it, wham! You end up sick.
That’s one of the huge problems that New York has. There are so many people on top of each other. Even if you stay in your home, there’s a much higher chance you will catch the bug.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
3 years ago
I am 60+ and live with a bunch of other old farts. Since I choose to live here, and choose to be part of a private enterprise (condo association) I am a team player:
[list][*]One family in an elevator at a time[*]6ft distancing[*]No guest except for heathcare people. [*]We have to go down to get any deliveries.{*]Masks optional[*]We buy crap for each other at the store.[*]Wipe down common area outside furniture before and after each use.[/list]But these measures are our choices.....the government didn't make us do it...if they had, we would have to them to go jam.
Cheesey
3 years ago

I am 60+ and live with a bunch of other old farts. Since I choose to live here, and choose to be part of a private enterprise (condo association) I am a team player:
[list]

• One family in an elevator at a time
  • 6ft distancing[*]No guest except for heathcare people. [*]We have to go down to get any deliveries.{*]Masks optional[*]We buy crap for each other at the store.[*]Wipe down common area outside furniture before and after each use.[/list]But these measures are our choices.....the government didn't make us do it...if they had, we would have to them to go jam.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

• See? Obviously your condo is using common sense....which unfortunately isn’t common anymore. If everyone just did things like that, it would help a lot.
    UserPostedImage
    Smokey
    3 years ago
    KRK,
    Reading your post, it's not hard to identify the right wing bias. I don't feel that a discussion about a Global Pandemic should double as a political parade ground. This crisis is however mainly concerned with two main topics: The medical problem and the economic problem.

Experts worldwide are utilizing all their knowledge, resources, and energy to solve this Covid-19 virus. Pharmaceutical companies know that if they solve this Pandemic with a cure or a vaccine they will reap astronomical profits. More continues to be revealed about this virus, but it has proven to to be a slow grind. "Herd immunity" may come into play at some point and warmer weather temperatures may also help, but TODAY decreasing the spread through Social Distancing Protocols IS the best weapon to fight the virus and has/is being utilized worldwide.

People, especially in countries like America that place a high value on personal freedoms are understandably less patient with social distancing and the unemployment that has/is occurring. I know how hard it can be with a steady job, so ... The economic side of this pandemic is not easy on anyone. Authorities are very aware of the sacrifices, but must weigh the medical threat that's killing people against the economic shutdown that is pushing National, State, and Local governments to their limits. Decisions that could mean opening up more businesses, might in weeks to come result in unwanted Covid-19 deaths. No reliable Oracles exist to say right or wrong in these decisions that affect more than just peoples jobs.

We all would like to return to how things were a few months ago before this virus hit worldwide. If reopening selected businesses under strict monitoring is possible and works, then great. Perhaps a certified cure/vaccine will put an end to this medical crisis, but until something dramatic changes, we all will be better off if we pull together rather than make things worse by pulling things apart.
    UserPostedImage
    Cheesey
    3 years ago
    Smokey, your “left wing bias” is showing again. What did KRK say that shows his right wing bias?
    You show your lefty all the time. Like in this thread where you said “YOUR president”. Trump is THE president of the entire country.
    I didn’t like Obama’s left wing leaning, but I respected that he was not just YOUR president, but mine also. It’s a shame that you can’t do that.
    That shows a lot more prejudice on your part.
    Those that live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
    (And they should get dressed in the basement)😁
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    3 years ago
    Who cares about political bias? Why does that even get mentioned? I thought we were above that petty bullshit here?
    UserPostedImage
    Cheesey
    3 years ago

Who cares about political bias? Why does that even get mentioned? I thought we were above that petty bullshit here?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah.....I thought so too. But I guess it’s not so. And I guess someone can’t help but take what someone like myself or others here and ignore good points they make because “you’re some kind of right wing nutcase”. Look at the YOUR president statement made earlier, and that same person is saying KRK is turning this political?
    Some things (and people) will never change. The only reason I brought it up in the first place was to point out the hypocrisy of the poster. I bet I’ll be the one called out for pointing it out. Oh well....
    But the one that brought it up is at least consistent!😂
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    3 years ago
    For clarification regarding what "flattening the curve" was about:
    NPR noted:

[quoteIt's all part of an effort to do what epidemiologists call flattening the curve of the pandemic. The idea is to increase social distancing in order to slow the spread of the virus, so that you don't get a huge spike in the number of people getting sick all at once. If that were to happen, there wouldn't be enough hospital beds or mechanical ventilators for everyone who needs them, and the U.S. hospital system would be overwhelmed. That's already happening in Italy.]

Wikipedia waxed:

Flattening the curve is a public health strategy introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic. The curve being flattened is the epidemic curve, a visual representation of the number of infected people needing health care over time. During an epidemic, a health care system can break down when the number of people infected exceeds the capability of the health care system to take care of them. Flattening the curve means slowing the spread of the epidemic so that the peak number of people requiring care at a time is reduced, and the health care system is not overwhelmed. Flattening the curve relies on mitigation techniques such as social distancing.

Statnews stated:

The risk that Covid-19 will overwhelm hospitals in the U.S., much as it did first in Wuhan. China, and then in northern Italy, is driving the extraordinary restrictions on public life taken by states and municipalities: canceling sports events and concerts, closing schools, working from home, and other “social distancing” measures all have the goal of “flattening the curve,” or spreading out Covid-19 cases so they do not hit hospitals like a viral tsunami.

Hopefully it will result in fewer cases overall, but many epidemiologists have their doubts. Flattening the curve was implemented so as NOT to overwhelm our health care system, not to kill our economy.

Social distancing and opening businesses are not mutually exclusive, and not opening up is killing us...literally and economically. When states have wide swaths with very low hospitalization rates, you have to wonder what the motivation is. Wisconsin and Michigan are prime spots that give objective thinkers pause as to what these motivations are.

I make no apologies about wanting a strong economy and not throwing our country into an ENORMOUS debt level that our kids and grand kids will have to pay off. Both parties used to want this....now it seems neither do.

I also care about the repulsive level of government in our lives.

We, the 55-75 year olds, are collectively, the most selfish generation in American history.

If you need ascribe political motives to my beliefs, be my guest.
    Smokey
    3 years ago

Smokey, your “left wing bias” is showing again. What did KRK say that shows his right wing bias?
    You show your lefty all the time. Like in this thread where you said “YOUR president”. Trump is THE president of the entire country.
    I didn’t like Obama’s left wing leaning, but I respected that he was not just YOUR president, but mine also. It’s a shame that you can’t do that.
    That shows a lot more prejudice on your part.
    Those that live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
    (And they should get dressed in the basement)😁

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

When a US President gets elected because another country worked to sabotage the election, other world leaders point and laugh at him while in the same room, and he is impeached by the United States House of Representatives, then no I can't respect that person. Your President consistently refuses to accept responsibility for his policies/actions as he has continually purged those that disagree with him. After the is defeated this fall in the election, look for history to place this NY Slum Lord at the bottom of the list as respected presidents alongside of Richard Nixon and Herbert Hover.

Not prejudice, but a more compassionate way of addressing issues. As for throwing stones, if your without sin yourself, then cast all the stones you can lift. I normally don't like to extol my political views on a sports forum, but I can't stomach the current person occupying the White House and his time in office will be fully examined and the wrongs will be righted.
    UserPostedImage