beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Brian Gutekunst was named GM of the Packers on Jan. 8, 2018. He's made hundreds of personnel decisions since that time — some good and some bad. I'll be listing his 12 best moves over the course of the next few weeks. Here's No. 11: Gutekunst was hired by Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf,Continue Reading›› 

Continue Reading @ Michael Rodney 

Michael Rodney wrote:

Not resigning him is still curious to me.

Though, he did retire last year under the idea he couldn't physical play a full season... so maybe he's waiting until mid-season to sign with someone?
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
Veldheer, a very veteran offensive lineman, had announced that 2019 would be his last NFL season. Add the current World Pandemic and it's easy to understand his standing by his decision. I'd wager that he already had plans for "after football" and the money earned in the league will serve to finance his future plans.

Veldheer was only with the Packers for a short time following his release from New England. I would not think he would have relocated his family to GB for the short time required to complete the 2019 season. I say thank you for your service and good luck in the future.

With the departure of Brian Bulaga, Rickey Wagner is expected to start at RT in 2020. That said he will still have to earn that spot over players that will be hungry to fill Bulaga's shoes.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

Veldheer, a very veteran offensive lineman, had announced that 2019 would be his last NFL season.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Source on that please, as I haven't yet been able to see that announcement yet, thank you.

Everything I've read so far is that he's was always non-committal on stepping away at best, not waiting to leave the game, but just felt like his body couldn't hold up to a full season either last year or every year in the future (he never made it clear if it was a one year thing, or every year thing).

But from everything I've read, he's interested in coming back another season to play.

Sorry I embedded the Twitter link wrong
[TWITTER]1235250080095051779?lang=en[/TWITTER]

With the departure of Brian Bulaga, Rickey Wagner is expected to start at RT in 2020. That said he will still have to earn that spot over players that will be hungry to fill Bulaga's shoes.

I'm still wondering what Gute's plans are there, as he said Wagner will have to compete for the job.

Wonder if they're thinking of resigning Veldheer, letting Turner compete at RT, or if one of the new youngster UDFAs OT is ready to compete for a starting spot in Gute's mind (OT Yosh Nijman has the highest potential, as he's general considered a freak athlete, but he was so raw in technique, that no team drafted him in a position where they often draft hoping they can develop guys, so it'd be a surprise if he's ready already).
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
As stated in the article this thread is based upon,"Granted his release by the New England Patriots a few days earlier, the 32-year-old hadn’t played all season after announcing his retirement in late May."

Additionally, Rickey Wagner will as I said before, have to compete for the starting Right Tackle position. Presuming that Veldheer is even willing to return to play NFL football with the Global Pandemic still raging is wishful thinking.

All is contingent upon the NFL actually having a 2020 season. In the mean time, there is no harm in getting being prepared, anything is possible.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

As stated in the article this thread is based upon,"Granted his release by the New England Patriots a few days earlier, the 32-year-old hadn’t played all season after announcing his retirement in late May."

Additionally, Rickey Wagner will as I said before, have to compete for the starting Right Tackle position. Presuming that Veldheer is even willing to return to play NFL football with the Global Pandemic still raging is wishful thinking.

All is contingent upon the NFL actually having a 2020 season. In the mean time, there is no harm in getting being prepared, anything is possible.

I'll take that as he has not said 2019 will be his last season yet then.

No more wishful thinking than every other veteran player, and I think we're wishful they'll all come back.

The NFL is going to try to have a season, they don't want to turn down profit. Neither would a majority of the players...

Only question might be, will the players play a couple of games to get their contracts locked in as have to be paid, and then attempt to freeze the season, limiting their exposure, but I doubt that's going to happen too.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
Most players that make NFL teams only last between 3 to 5 seasons. Those that last longer are either gifted physically or talented with a special skill. Jared Veldheer was drafted in 2010 by the Oakland Raiders. He played for the Raiders, Cardinals, Broncos, Patriots, and the Packers. That bespeaks of a respected journeyman OT, but not a year to year starter. Furthermore NE does not discard a player for no clear reason. I suspect that they wanted to promote a player or sign a FA.

While GM Gutekunst may still sign another OT, but I suspect that his attentions are more focused upon WRs and ILBs. His most recent draft picks have addressed 8 positions, with 2 players being OTs. Veldheer was a last minute addition to backup the ORT position at the end of the season. Like hiring a temp from an employment service and not as a long term addition to the team.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

That bespeaks of a respected journeyman OT, but not a year to year starter. Furthermore NE does not discard a player for no clear reason. I suspect that they wanted to promote a player or sign a FA.

You can trash him if you like, but the fact of the matter is that last year, he was CLEARLY better than anyone we currently got as RT options.

He was never on their 53 man roster, therefore they couldn't promote a player nor sign a FA. They would of had to pay his higher level contract, felt like they didn't need him and Bill B just prefers players that are fully in or they're out... so they released him.

While GM Gutekunst may still sign another OT, but I suspect that his attentions are more focused upon WRs and ILBs. His most recent draft picks have addressed 8 positions, with 2 players being OTs. Veldheer was a last minute addition to backup the ORT position at the end of the season. Like hiring a temp from an employment service and not as a long term addition to the team.

Except your comparison falls apart when the temp is clearly better than your full time employees.

Also, the Packers DID NOT DRAFT TWO OTs. They drafted ONE college OT, whom the Packers in press conferences have consistently insisted will be at OG in the NFL, even as media and fans (including us) suggest he might be an option at RT.

The Packers also drafted an OG and C, neither of which have the athletic potential for college LT nor pro RT.

I don't know why you insist on trashing Veldheer, all he did was help the team and he did a damn good starting quality job too.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago

You can trash him if you like, but the fact of the matter is that last year, he was CLEARLY better than anyone we currently got as RT options.

He was never on their 53 man roster, therefore they couldn't promote a player nor sign a FA. They would of had to pay his higher level contract, felt like they didn't need him and Bill B just prefers players that are fully in or they're out... so they released him.
Except your comparison falls apart when the temp is clearly better than your full time employees.

Also, the Packers DID NOT DRAFT TWO OTs. They drafted ONE college OT, whom the Packers in press conferences have consistently insisted will be at OG in the NFL, even as media and fans (including us) suggest he might be an option at RT.

The Packers also drafted an OG and C, neither of which have the athletic potential for college LT nor pro RT.

I don't know why you insist on trashing Veldheer, all he did was help the team and he did a damn good starting quality job too.

Originally Posted by: beast 

First, I never trashed anyone including you. You just don't like it when people look you in the eye and call you wrong. Go and look up the word "journeyman", it is praise and not negative as you would try to spin it.

Second, When I posted that GB drafted 2 OTs, I secured that information from the Packer Draft History on this site. Further research shows both Jon Runyan and Simon Stepaniak as offensive guards.

Third, 7 Offensive Tackles are listed on the current Packer roster. 2 more and they could field their own baseball team. Veldheer would just be redundant.

"Bill B" ? Do you really know the man or is that just more wishful thinking?
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

You just don't like it when people look you in the eye and call you wrong.

1) Who does like it?

2) I actually don't mind it, when the person has something to add to the conversation but you've been calling me wrong and following it up with clear falsehoods..

Veldheer, a very veteran offensive lineman, had announced that 2019 would be his last NFL season.

GM Gutekunst ... most recent draft picks have addressed 8 positions, with 2 players being OTs.

"Bill B" ? Do you really know the man or is that just more wishful thinking?

The falsehood in the last one being the false implication that anyone said either of those things. As that's simply more made up implications.

Go and look up the word "journeyman", it is praise and not negative as you would try to spin it.

I literally googled "NFL journeyman" like you requested me to, and here is literally the first thing that comes up...

A journeyman quarterback, in professional American football, is a quarterback who plays short stints for several teams over a career. Such a player is typically signed to year-by-year contracts, and may be signed by a team to fill in for an injured starter. The term journeyman is normally pejorative.

pejorative = expressing contempt or disapproval.

Seems like another swing and miss...

Third, 7 Offensive Tackles are listed on the current Packer roster. 2 more and they could field their own baseball team. Veldheer would just be redundant.

By that logic, quality doesn't matter, just quantity...

Veldheer is clearly a top 3 OT on this roster and probably is competing for the RT spot, and surely would be some favorite for winning it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.