beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Last season, Green Bay Packers right tackle Bryan Bulaga faced a gauntlet of elite pass rushers to start the year. In the first five weeks, he had individual battles against Chicago’s Khalil Mack, Minnesota’s Danielle Hunter, Denver’s Von Miller, Philadelphia’s Brandon Graham and Dallas’ DeMarcus Lawrence.

Bulaga responded with perhaps his best season. His excellence played a major role in Green Bay going 13-3 and reaching the NFC Championship Game.

With Bulaga departing in free agency, the pressure will be on his replacement, veteran Rick Wagner, to keep the pressure away from Aaron Rodgers.

Gone are the days when it was the left tackle who faced the opponent’s top pass rusher. Last season, 17 edge rushers collected at least 10 sacks. Of that group, six rushed from the defense’s left (or against the right tackle) at least two-thirds of the time and three others rushed from the left at least half the time. That’s nine of 17 – or more than half. In all, 12 of the 17 rushed from the defense’s left at least 40 percent of the time.

Sacks aren’t everything, of course. Green Bay’s schedule features 13 edge defenders who ranked in the top 30 in ProFootballFocus.com’s pass-rushing productivity, a metric that measures sacks, quarterback hits and hurries per pass-rushing snap. Of that group, six rushed at least 60 percent of the time from the left side of the defense (or the right side of the offense) and another three were essentially a 50/50 split.

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

There is more I didn't post, but those are some very interesting stats of where the sacks and pressures have come from, and there is no way out current options can compete with Bulaga in pass protection.

So at max in 2018, Mike McCarthy passed it about 67.5% of the play calls becoming the third highest NFL pass percentage this century (for any team and maybe ever for the NFL). Since 2016 McCarthy has basically said over 60% which is a change as perviously, with his offense before 2016 seemingly being under 60%.

LaFleur in his first season was at 59.8% passes, my guess is that he'd prefer it to be closer to 55% and we'll be running more this year.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
If Wagner stinks, at least Rodgers will be able to see who's coming after him! (being right-handed an all)
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

If Wagner stinks, at least Rodgers will be able to see who's coming after him! (being right-handed an all)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sorry, I got distracted with something before I could finish editing my post.

But cool stats, and I'm thinking this might mean a larger running percentage.

And yes, it's better on the right side than the left side. But they'll need the play action game to help them more this season.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
If the running game produces like it seems they think it will, that will take a lot of pressure off of Rodgers. If teams have to honor the run even more then last year, it makes the defense not able to just pin their ears back and go after our QB.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
With 4 seasons in Baltimore and 3 seasons with Detroit, the 6'6" / 318 lb. Rickey Wagner returns to the State where he played college football (Wisconsin). In Baltimore he pass blocked for Joe Flacco and in Detroit for Matthew Stafford. Both survived with him protecting them. I feel good about this proven veteran filling Bulaga's RT position. Furthermore, run blocking may improve over last season.

With Billy Turner playing G on his left, Wagner could get pass extra outside/inside blocking help from 6' / 247 lb. A.J. Dillon or 6' / 213 lb. J. Williams at RB. Wagner should do well, the concern with any player on a new team is how quickly he will acclimate to his new teammates on the line. His experience as a veteran should should serve to aid him on his return to Wisconsin.

I don't see any of GB's offensive linemen as "key" players. If there is a "key", then it is the Packers Offensive Line Coach Adam Stenavich and his Assistant Coach Luke Butkus. It's their job to prepare the Packer O-Line for each weeks opponents.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago

With 4 seasons in Baltimore and 3 seasons with Detroit, the 6'6" / 318 lb. Rickey Wagner returns to the State where he played college football (Wisconsin). In Baltimore he pass blocked for Joe Flacco and in Detroit for Matthew Stafford. Both survived with him protecting them. I feel good about this proven veteran filling Bulaga's RT position. Furthermore, run blocking may improve over last season.
I don't see any of GB's offensive linemen as "key" players.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Smokey, I like your optimism and hope you're are right on your assessment on Wagner, but I disagree on your statement about none of the linemen being 'key'.

IMO Bakhtiari is key to any possible success. Without him or with a sub-optimal performance, it would be a long year. I dont think there is a replacement on the roster at this point. 12 has a ton of faith in the guy and his loss would mean less confidence from the quarterback position... which would never be a good thing.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
  • beast
3 years ago

Smokey, I like your optimism and hope you're are right on your assessment on Wagner, but I disagree on your statement about none of the linemen being 'key'.

IMO Bakhtiari is key to any possible success. Without him or with a sub-optimal performance, it would be a long year. I dont think there is a replacement on the roster at this point. 12 has a ton of faith in the guy and his loss would mean less confidence from the quarterback position... which would never be a good thing.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yeah, not only that but aren't all the OL key? I mean after all this off-season talk about how we don't have weapons and WRs for Rodgers...

And how the offense struggled whenever they faced a tough physical defensive front, as the weapons couldn't pick up the slack....

Last year the offense lived and died by the OL success, Rodgers and Adams got them out of some jams for sure, but when the offense had sustained success, it was due to the OL.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
3 years ago
As vital as the LT position certainly is, the best O-Lines work as a TEAM. Additionally, even the greatest ever O-Line that ever took the field were not "expected" to protect their QB's forever. Therefor if a QB's receivers can't get themselves open for their QB to throw the ball to, then usually a QB has to scramble or get sacked.

On the running game side of the coin, planned and disciplined blocking is the measure of success. Opening paths for the RB to exploit results in ground gained. I know how many don't like the ground and pound approach, but when it works it opens up the opposing defense to be defeated.

I know that some will point to this QB sack or that failed running play and use it to spin up a larger negative to blame one player/side/or the entire O-Line. Such occasional defensive successes are to be expected and not used to support a weak argument.

GB's O-Line should exceed last seasons performance, provided there is a season. (?)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.