wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
3 years ago

Jones was on the field for just eight snaps where he wasn’t targeted or getting the ball on a handoff. Aaron Jones ’ star turn took another step forward on Sunday, as the Green Bay Packers  running back set a career-high in all-purpose yardage. But Jones was nowhere close to his career-high in snaps. In fact, he was on the field for fewer than half of the Packers ’ offensive plays.
Whether explicitly by design or based on the way the Detroit Lions  were defending him, Jones was absolutely the focal point of the Packers’ offense. Not only did he get the lion’s share of the carries out of the backfield, but he also led the team in pass targets. In fact, he was either targeted or carrying the football on a whopping 76% of the snaps when he was on the field.
Oh, and he averaged over 10 yards per touch in the game. That efficiency is tough to top.
Here are all of the snap counts from Sunday’s 42-21 win over Detroit.
OFFENSE (73 total)
Quarterbacks
Aaron Rodgers  68, Tim Boyle  5
It wasn’t a tremendously efficient day for Rodgers , who finished 18-of-30 for 240 yards and two touchdowns, but he still averaged eight yards per attempt and was sacked only once. As was the story in week one, his stat line could have looked even better if not for a few drops. Boyle  came on for three handoffs to AJ Dillon  and a pair of kneel-downs to end the game.
Running Backs
Aaron Jones  34, Jamaal Williams  31, Tyler Ervin  28, AJ Dillon 7
When Aaron Jones  was on the field, the Packers were going to get him the football. In his 34 snaps, there were just eight on which he was not carrying the football (18 carries) or targeted with a pass (8 targets). He turned that workload into 236 total yards of offense, with 9.3 yards per carry and 17 yards per reception, and three touchdowns.
Williams  was less of a factor in the game plan, but he had a tremendous day running the football as well. He carried eight times for 63 yards, showing a bit of burst and wiggle to complement his normal more straight-ahead power running style. Dillon added five carries for 17 in garbage time, with one particularly impressive 12-yarder and a great spin move in the backfield to avoid a tackle for loss. Ervin  had just one pass target, a four-yard catch.
Wide Receivers
Allen Lazard  61, Marquez Valdes-Scantling  46, Davante Adams  38, Malik Taylor  15
Adams ’ day ended early after he suffered a hamstring injury. Before leaving, he had just three targets for 36 yards, though he gave rookie Jeff Okudah  fits much of the day. Lazard  was his usual efficient self with 45 yards on three of five targets. MVS continued to be MVS - a drop here, a beautiful 41-yard there. He finished three of seven for 64 yards. Taylor came in late, but was just a blocker in garbage time.
Tight Ends
Robert Tonyan  44, Marcedes Lewis  33, Jace Sternberger  16, John Lovett  11
Although the Packers seemed determined to get the tight ends a bit more involved in week two than they were in week one, they had no Josiah Deguara  for the game, leaving Lovett to get the snaps in the traditional fullback alignment.
But oh, the drops from this group. Sternberger had a gut-wrenching drop on a perfect play-action leak call, letting the ball fall to the turf with ten yards of green space ahead of him. Then on the next play, Tonyan  let a nice throw from Rodgers go through his hands on a nice route up the left sideline. Big Bob at least bounced back, catching a touchdown on a corner-stop route and adding another catch for 14 yards.
Offensive Linemen
Elgton Jenkins  73, Lucas Patrick  73, Rick Wagner  73, David Bakhtiari  68, Corey Linsley  65, Jon Runyan  8, Yosh Nijman  5
The Packers made Billy Turner  active for this game, but he was clearly in the “break in case of emergency” glass case. That left the team to start Patrick  at right guard and Wagner  at right tackle, and both were solid in pass protection while the entire line crushed it in the run game. Some shuffling continued late in this game when Linsley  left with a sprained thumb, moving Patrick to center and Runyan back in at right guard. Bakhtiari  got the last handful of plays off with the game well out of reach — he committed the unit’s first penalty of the year with a holding call early.
DEFENSE (59 total)
Defensive Linemen
Dean Lowry  44, Kingsley Keke  35, Tyler Lancaster  33, Montravius Adams  12
With no Kenny Clark , the Packers’ line had a rough go early on in the first half, particularly trying to stop the run. This continues to be a group that needs to play with a lead, as the Lions  ran straight down their throats with Kerryon Johnson  on the opening drive. Keke and Lowry  each recorded a pair of tackles, with Adams  adding an assist.
Outside Linebackers
Za’Darius Smith 56, Preston Smith  55, Rashan Gary  33, Jonathan Garvin  2
Za’Darius got his second sack of the year in this game, coming just outside the goal line. That was unquestionably a coverage sack, as Matthew Stafford  held the ball far too long. That play gave the Packers a chance to get the ball back with a minute left in the second quarter, and they took the lead with a touchdown on that drive and never looked back. Z also would have had a great 5-yard tackle for loss on Kerryon Johnson  on the first series, but he brought the back down with his hand in the helmet opening and was flagged for a penalty on the play. Early on, Z was lining up mainly over the center, perhaps Mike Pettine’s attempt to help cover up for Clark ’s absence.
Gary, meanwhile, was a terror in this contest. He had 1.5 sacks in the second half, but his biggest play came on a tremendous speed rush near the Lions’ end zone early in the third quarter. He forced an early throw from Stafford  to the flat, where an eager Chandon Sullivan  was reading the quarterback’s eyes. Sullivan made a diving interception, rolling into the end zone for the defense’s first touchdown of the year. Preston Smith  got the other half of the sack on the split with Gary late in the game, getting him in the sack column for the first time this year.
Inside Linebackers
Christian Kirksey  59, Krys Barnes  15
The Packers rotated a number of players through at the second inside linebacker spot on Sunday, from Za’Darius Smith to Barnes to a pair of safeties. Kirksey  led the team with 12 tackles on the day, while Barnes had three — none as impressive as his TFL in week one.
Safeties
Darnell Savage  54, Adrian Amos  54, Raven Greene  21, Will Redmond  12, Vernon Scott  5
It was a pretty quiet day for the safety group, which saw Greene  and Redmond each get some snaps at linebacker. Scott actually had one of the few notable plays from this group with a late sack of Stafford , while Redmond had a pass defense on the preceding play.
Cornerbacks
Jaire Alexander  53, Kevin King  53, Chandon Sullivan  43, Josh Jackson  5, Ka’Dar Hollman 5
After a bit of a struggle in week one, Sullivan had a tremendous third quarter on Sunday. He had the aforementioned pick-six and added a pass breakup on third down on the following series.
Alexander  largely held Marvin Jones in check; he caught four of six targets but for only 23 yards (though he did score a touchdown). The bigger plays from the Lions passing game went to Marvin Hall  on a nice scoring throw from Stafford  and to D’Andre Swift  and T.J. Hockenson  underneath or in the middle of the field.
SPECIAL TEAMS LEADERS
Oren Burks  23, Will Redmond 23, Ty Summers  23, Josh Jackson  19, Vernon Scott 16, Jace Sternberger 16, Malik Taylor 15

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

A few thoughts:

We need more plays from Boyle. 😉 If he's out there the game is well in hand.

With 28 plays before leaving with an injury Ervin has become a major part of the offense.

When you factor in that Gary was only on the field for about half of the defensive snaps he had a monster game. I thought with Clark out he would be on the field a lot more than he was.

It was good to have Raven Greene in the game. He might play even more in week 3.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Yeah I don't want to give RBs big money, but you almost got to with Jones... the question is long term deal of franchise tag, as depending on who's projected numbers you're looking at, muliple years of franchise tags on a RB will be cheaper than Vikings RB Cook's contract, and I would think Jones would get more than Cook.

Yup, I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with 5-2 with Z as a pass rushing NT more often, of course, there is always the question of can he hold up to that for a full game, but I like the OLBers depth better than the DTs depth even with a healthy Clark, without a healthy Clark even more so... but as LaFleur says, it's a marathon not a Sprint, so smartly use the DTs and hope they can elevate their game and develop to be better (especially Keke) for the future. I'm thinking DT Adams and ILB Burks are lost causes outside of STs.

Gary is showing up! Also though, because of skill set differences, P. Smith is taking Fackrell's cover snaps and Gary is getting P. Smith's pass rushing snaps... and P. Smith while athletic for his size, isn't the best in coverage (but still better than Z. or Gary).

This might be too early to say this, but ai think we got a good future starter in Runyan. He's not ready to be a starter, but I'm tempted against lesser teams to throw him in there anyways to let him develop for the future. If he gets enough development in this year, he might be ready to start next year.
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
3 years ago
Until they feel Dillon is ready for some carries consistantly !!
jimmy b.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.