dfosterf
2 years ago
When I was a little boy of about 9 years old, the Coca Cola bottling plant ran a promotion quite similar to what we saw with McDonald's restaurants and their infamous monopoly game. It too was subject to fraudulent action.

The game was to collect bottle caps which held the picture and name of individual Packers players on the inside of each bottle cap. There was a big sheet that you would get from local retailers with individual circles for each player on the team. You would glue the corresponding cap to the circle on the sheet until you filled it up and won the various awards dependent upon how many circles you filled.

By this time in my life I was as gangsta as a blonde haired blue eyed Beatles boot and cut little quasi juvenile delinquent from Madison could be...and I had a partner in crime, his name was David also.

David and I hatched a plan to win Bart Starr Jerseys. We collected multiple sheets and caps, hustling drinks from gas station customers at the local Parmann's Sinclair gas station by washing windshields and checking under hoods, in exchange for receiving the bottle caps from the cokes we asked them to buy in exchange for our full service at the pump. All were agreeable...the customers, the attendants that were actually supposed to do this service, and the owner- who was at least appreciative of the fact that we we busy taking care of his customers instead of stomping on and/or riding our bikes over his "bell".
So. We had multiple sheets filled mostly with these bottle caps, but there was a common theme of missing certain players...the "rare, hard to find" ones...think Pokémon charizard etc. here...Did I mention that we were quasi hoodlums?

One Saturday morning we hopped on the city bus and went to the coca cola bottling plant. We walked in like we owned that mother fucka. My friend David told the first guy that asked us what the hell we were doing there that his dad worked there and that he was showing his friend (me) what his dad did for a living. The guy decided to give us both a tour. We learned all about bottling that day, with a special emphasis on bottle caps, but we didn't tell our "guide" that part.
The "line" had a separate room for the accumulation of the bottle caps prior to being placed in the receptacles for the processors to actually place them on the bottles. Now, mind you, this was a seemingly insignificant detail in the production of coke in Madison, but to two 9 yr. Olds, it was a major security breech and opportunity for some big league fraud. We took advantage. Nor only was the room separate from the line, it also had an exit door...we filled at least 10 grocery bags full of bottle caps (even 10 bags remained quite light, we are talking bottle caps here) and walked right out that back door.
I'm not saying we were big thinkers. Just like most criminals, we forgot some details. We went ahead and used those caps to fill in our missing circles, plus started and finished several more, becoming semi regulars at the office of the bottler for redemptions...
Can you guess what made them grow weary of our redemptions?

2 years ago
how young are you? did not read your story. But if you want a #15 jersey, they are all over the place. I have one
dfosterf
2 years ago

how young are you? did not read your story. But if you want a #15 jersey, they are all over the place. I have one

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

Older than 9, now. You can get #15 jerseys? Can I have yours?
Cheesey
2 years ago
Dave! I remember having those bottle caps too!
I never accumulated enough to get anything. (My family were Pepsi drinkers) I wish I had those bottle caps now!
So, what did you get with all your redemptions?
And if they got suspicious, did they bust you?
Too much info left out!
Be “Paul Harvey”, and tell us “the REST of the story!”
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago

Dave! I remember having those bottle caps too!
I never accumulated enough to get anything. (My family were Pepsi drinkers) I wish I had those bottle caps now!
So, what did you get with all your redemptions?
And if they got suspicious, did they bust you?
Too much info left out!
Be “Paul Harvey”, and tell us “the REST of the story!”

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The REST of the story...

We sorta sucked as criminals, but the ladies in the bottling plant office were matronly and kind. We redeemed several full sheets- I forget all the goodies we received, but I do know I got a Bart Starr jersey- After at least two trips as having been the only people to have turned in any sheets at all, the ladies informed us that "enough is enough" of this nonsense...

The caps were "uncrimped". It was obvious they had never actually been used as caps for the bottles. Take your hand and make a claw...crimped. Now take your hand and spread your fingers...uncrimped.

A blatant "inside job", lol

The ladies were just being nice to these two rather industrious but greedy boys...David and I.

Things were a little more lax in 1965.

Fond memory !

Cheesey
2 years ago
Thanks for telling the rest of it! It’s a GREAT story!
The worst “criminal” thing I did as a kid was- we had a store called “Moreway” that my parents shopped at. They had a game area there, with pinball machines and things like that. They cost a dime each to play. They had a change machine, where you would put in a quarter, and get 2 dimes and a nickel. Well...,. I put my quarter in, and it gave me the change.....AND my quarter back! My parents left me at the game area, and went off to shop. So I was like, “COOL!” So I tried it again....and again and again.....filled up both my pockets! I felt like I was at Vegas! (Although I had no idea what Las Vegas was at that age) I thought I was RICH!
After I had filled my pockets, I noticed a piece of paper that had been taped onto the machine, that someone had flipped over the top. I flipped it down, and it said “out of order”!
I never told my folks about it. I must have been all of 6 or 7 years old at the time,
By the next time we shopped there, they had fixed the machine. (Darn it!)👍🤪😂
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 years ago
I would have made sure I had a quarter on me at all times in case the folks stopped at Moreway and the machine were to go on the fritz again.
Never hurts to check, lol- sort of the same category as inserting your Index finger in every chrome plated coin return cover on every coin op phone passed...a surprisingly lucrative exercise for almost every kid in America, lol
Cheesey
2 years ago

I would have made sure I had a quarter on me at all times in case the folks stopped at Moreway and the machine were to go on the fritz again.
Never hurts to check, lol- sort of the same category as inserting your Index finger in every chrome plated coin return cover on every coin op phone passed...a surprisingly lucrative exercise for almost every kid in America, lol

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

You think I didn’t do that???😂
Every time we went there, that was the first thing I did!
But it never paid out like that again!
My “life of crime” was over!🤪
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (51m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.