beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

The contract details are out for the recently signed ILB, De'Vondre Campbell.  Once again the Packers used four void years even though the deal is in reality just a one-year, $2 million deal.  

Campbell earned $6 million in 2020 on what was essentially a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals last year.  The Cardinals technically signed him to a five-year deal with $1M base salaries for 2020 through 2024 plus a $5 million signing bonus, but the deal automatically voided if Campbell was still on the roster as of February 12, 2021.  That meant the Campbell and the team had to reach a new deal by February 12th to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent, which did not happen.
I was not overly enthused by the Campbell signing initially after looking up his Pro Football Focus  grade for Arizona (49.0 last year) and noting the steep decline in his compensation.  So I went to sites devoted to the Arizona Cardinals and the Atlanta Falcons to find out more about him.  Note that I am unfamiliar with those authors and whether they are competent analysts. 
The Cardinals had and still have a comfortable salary cap situation, more than enough to easily have accommodated the deal Campbell signed with Green Bay.  Of course, they used void years to sign JJ. Watt and let Hassan Reddick and his 12.5 sacks walk (though Reddick only was able to earn a one year, $6 million deal).  The Cardinals signed Jordan Hicks as a free agent to play the mike position in 2019.  I note that Hicks received good grades from Pro Football Focus in three of his four seasons with the Eagles, but his grades declined as an ILB in Arizona in 2019 and 2020 (61.0 and 50.4).  Despite the PFF grades, Hicks was named a team captain for 2020.  Perhaps there is something about the Cardinals' scheme that negatively affects the PFF grades of its inside linebackers.
In this article on Cardswire  Jeff Root was not sure whether Campbell could play the mike position and also noted that Hicks had accepted a $3 million pay cut for 2021.  The Cardinals drafted Isaiah Simmons with the eighth overall pick in 2020, but Campbell played ahead of Simmons for most of last season.  The Cardinals followed that up by selecting Zaven Collins with the sixteenth pick in this year's draft.  Those moves probably sealed Campbell's fate in Arizona, assuming that the Cardinals had not always viewed Campbell as a one-year stopgap.  The Cardinals' Head Coach Kingsbury made it clear that the team expected Collins to start at the mike position and Ian Rapoport reported that the team had given Hicks permission to seek a trade. 
An article by Alex Weiner of Sports Illustrated  noted that Campbell had a strong start in Arizona but his productivity declined in the last five weeks of the season, a take which is in accord with a comment by one of our readers in a previous article.  Weiner noted that Campbell dealt with some minor injuries later in the season and lost snaps to Simmons as the season wore on but was not sure if the loss of snaps was simply due to the Cardinals' natural desire to see what they had in Simmons or if it was based on the merits. 
Walter Mitchell of Revenge of the Birds opined that Campbell was better in man than in zone coverage.  In this  mid-season article, Mitchell noted that Campbell's PFF grade was 48.5 after the first ten games in 2020.  Campbell only has one season with a PFF better than 56, but PFF is not gospel.
The Falcoholic described Campbell as a durable player at strong side linebacker who had some flaws but set a good edge during his four years in Altanta.  The Falcoholic assumed that Campbell would get mid-tier money that the Falcons could not match.   This  article from the 2019 season is uncomplimentary, but it has some video of specific plays highlighting Campbell's issues.
The $1 million signing bonus suggests that Campbell will make the 53-man roster short of falling flat on his face.  I am encouraged by Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin and the teams seems to be so as well; I suspect that the Packers signed Campbell for depth and insurance.  It may be aimed at Oren Burks (28.6 PFF grade in 96 snaps), and less likely, at Ty Summers.  It will be interesting to see if Joe Barry gives Campbell reps at the mike position in training camp and preseason games.  It appears that Campbell plays on just one special teams unit given that his career high is 76 snaps on special teams.  Burks played 335 special teams snaps in 2020. 
Still, Campbell is big, fast and has a huge wingspan (80 and 7/8ths inches) along with a ton of experience as a starter.  He has been living on that height/weight/speed projection.  It may be that the guaranteed money spigot closes if he does not produce soon.  Perhaps Joe Barry can bring out his best.
Overthecap has the Packers with $5.01 million in cap space.  Looking forward to the first game of the season when the PS and 52nd/53rd contracts count, I have the Packers with 428K in cap space.  They still need to generate $3 to $5 million more in cap space.      

Filed Under:[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers-0" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL][URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL][URL=/blog/category/james-reynolds" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]James Reynolds[/URL]NFL Categories:[URL=/taxonomy/term/12336" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]Tags:[URL=/blog/category/nfl/salary-cap" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]salary cap[/URL][URL=/tag/roster-construction" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Roster Construction[/URL][URL=/tag/devondre-campbell" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]De'Vondre Campbell[/URL]

0 points

[/URL]

Continue Reading @ [url=http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/CheeseheadTv/~3/TJ9dM3N-UFk/contract-details-for-devondre-campbell-725]CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Packers first outside FA that will probably make the team.

Sounds like he has some clear flaws, but good size and speed if you can use him to his strengths.

His rookie year was with LaFleur (though opposite sides of the ball). Based on some other stuff I've read, it sounds like he's a good chase LB.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m -- In addition to starting at ILB, DeVondre Campbell is getting first-team reps on punt coverage and may wind up on other units as well.

He's one of the two starting ILB's. Interesting.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein 2m -- In addition to starting at ILB, DeVondre Campbell is getting first-team reps on punt coverage and may wind up on other units as well.

He's one of the two starting ILB's. Interesting.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Any idea whom the other starter?

I'm guessing Barns with Martin backing up.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Any idea whom the other starter?

I'm guessing Barns with Martin backing up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

- Barnes and Campbell at ILB

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
Campbell and Martin will be the starters.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.