Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Aaron Rodgers’ top pass-catcher is no longer talking to the Packers about a contract extension just days before the team’s veterans report for training camp. On the same day that rookies reported for training camp and the Green Bay Packers  finally signed rookie third-round wide receiver Amari Rodgers to a contract , NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport broke the news that four-time Pro Bowl  receiver Davante Adams and the team are no longer having contract talks. According to Rapoport, a key issue is that Green Bay is not willing to make Adams the highest-paid pass-catcher in the sport.

The #Packers  and Davante Adams’ reps worked behind the scenes to get a deal done. The proposals have not acknowledged Adams as the highest paid WR, sources say. Green Bay’s classic structure has led to limited options. Now, talks are off with just a few days to go before camp. https://t.co/8m0WM7TTBX — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 23, 2021 

On one hand, Adams is clearly the top receiver on the roster and his leaving would give legitimate credence to the people who believe the Packers haven’t done enough to add receiver talent to the roster. On the other hand, Adams will be a 29-year-old after this season, meaning this next contract should be paying for the tail end (and decline) of his prime. Spotrac estimates  Adams would command $25 million on the open market.

In the next two years, the Green Bay Packers could offer extensions to the likes of wide receiver Marques Valdes-Scantling, tight end Robert Tonyan, do-everything offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins, pass-rusher Za’Darius Smith, cornerback Jaire Alexander, safety Adrian Amos and safety Darnell Savage, all while having to navigate around Aaron Rodgers’ future with the team. The question now becomes “Is the best way for Green Bay to build their team actually to take the gamble that Adams isn’t going to decline in play in his early thirties and pay him like he’s the top pass-catcher in the sport?” That’s up for debate.
Earlier this offseason, Adams spoke to Fox News  and told the world that Rodgers’ situation with the team would “play into” an extension. When asked about his negotiations with the Packers, Adams noted, “there’s been talks, just really just talks, but we haven’t really done anything or talked about anything that’s worth mentioning.” This was after Adams claimed he would not hold out  due to the league’s new fine system under the 2020 collective bargaining agreement, a statement he made at minicamp.

If Adams does leave Green Bay, Las Vegas, where his former college quarterback Derek Carr is the starter, would likely be the favorite to land the receiver. This offseason, the Carr family simply could not stop talking about Adams, with Derek even claiming an Adams free agency would come with a “full-court press ” to pursue him to be a Raider.

If the Packers were the ones to pull the plug on the Adams extension talks, it would not be a surprise. Be it Micah Hyde or Casey Hayward , Green Bay’s former players who did not take the team’s offseason offer before they became free agents have learned a hard truth about the franchise: Once the Packers realize they cannot win the bidding war for a player, they pull out of contract conversations and often refuse to make an offer in free agency, as it only serves to drive up the bids of a player they have already labeled as too expensive to re-sign.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

Try not to freak out. This is very common this time of year. When the off-season is over (e.g. Training Camp) starts a lot of players want their focus on football, not contract. This isn't the time to freak out yet, regardless of what folks are trying to spin.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Also the WR market was shockingly risen this offseason, when most other positions stayed fairly flat with the NFL tightening their cap.

I believe the Patriots, Seahawks and Giants all made some shocking WR signings. Patriots were probably the most shocking, giving some WRs that were generally considered backups, starting WR money. Giants seems almost like a desperation move to improve their passing game before the GM loses his job, because he's on the hot seat.

What does this have to do with Adams? Well the market was a lot higher than expected, so his agents probably wanted a lot more than expected.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago
Wants "best WR in the league" money.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
2 years ago

Wants "best WR in the league" money.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't know what he wants this time but last time it's thought he surprisingly clearly left some money on the table, meaning he probably could have gotten more if he tried to.

But yeah he probably wants at least minimum top 5 WR money,

#2--#5 are in a range of 22 million per year and 19.25 million per year. But DeAndre Hopkins got a ridiculous 27.25 million per year deal. Adams probably wants to be in that ball park, so above $22 million per year.

Damn Texans again with their stupid trades upset the market... which happened at LT with Bak too.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
This isn't a surprise. Why? Because it's what I've said right off the jump.

Davante Adams today : "Right now it's just about playing the game."

Also -- I don't think we'll have Adams in 2022.

Davante Adams isn’t holding back. Asked if he would re-sign at a discount if Rodgers is back in 2022. 👇👇

“No. That’s not going to happen."

“What other profession do you take less than what you have earned?”

“I’ve earned the right to be paid the highest in the league."
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
One of the podcasters made an interesting comment about the DeAndre Hopkins signed. Granted it has an AAV of $27.25 million. But he is on a team with a QB that is still in his rookie contract.
The next 4 WR are Julio Jones $22 mil Ryan is 14.5% of the total cap.
Keenan Allen $20 + Herbert is on his rookie deal. 3.2%
Amari Cooper $20 Dak is 10.6%
Michael Thomas $19 + Hill and Winston are a combined 5.3%
OBJ $18 Mayfield is on his rookie deal @ 5%
Aaron is a massive 20%. There simply isn't much room right now.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

One of the podcasters made an interesting comment about the DeAndre Hopkins signed. Granted it has an AAV of $27.25 million. But he is on a team with a QB that is still in his rookie contract.
The next 4 WR are Julio Jones $22 mil Ryan is 14.5% of the total cap.
Keenan Allen $20 + Herbert is on his rookie deal. 3.2%
Amari Cooper $20 Dak is 10.6%
Michael Thomas $19 + Hill and Winston are a combined 5.3%
OBJ $18 Mayfield is on his rookie deal @ 5%
Aaron is a massive 20%. There simply isn't much room right now.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yep. I read someone saying that it can't be said the Packers don't invest well in their players while they have paid their LT top money, QB top money, DT Kenny Clark top money, RB Aaron Jones, etc ...

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
I get that he wants to get paid. But how much money is enough? That goes for EVERY player. And as far as what has been earned, he has already been paid for what he earned.
There’s no guarantee that he will be as great as he has been, or injury could take him out. Which he still would get paid.
I remember Robin Yount of the Brewers taking a lot less money then he could have got on the open market to stay with the team. He felt he owed it to the team that gave him his shot at the big time.
Too bad there aren’t more professionals like him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.