Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Now that the numbness has worn off a bit, some thoughts about the future: 

►  I wrote this at the beginning of the season and I believe it’s even more true now. Aaron Rodgers’ trade value is being vastly over estimated.  This motherlode of first round picks, extra picks and players the Packers will supposedly get for Rodgers may be unrealistic.  If Rodgers chooses not to return, other teams will low ball Green Bay, knowing the team has no choice but to accept a trade from somebody. 

What the Packers can demand for their future Hall of Famer may have declined even further after he stated he does not want to be part of a rebuild.  If that’s true, that rules out the bad teams who would have the multiple first rounders in the coming draft to offer.  At least four teams have more than one selection in the first round of this year’s draft.  The Jets, Lions and Giants each have two, and the Eagles have three.  The Lions are in Green Bay’s division, so that’s a non-starter.  The Jets and Giants are most certainly in a rebuild, so that would rule them out.  The Eagles are not a likely trade partner for Green Bay because they are in the NFC, and especially because they are on the Packers schedule next season.  Green Bay will play the Eagles in Philadelphia. 

In effect, Rodgers has veto power over any pending trade.  That’s because any team trading for him would have to renegotiate his $46 million cap hit due next year.  He can simply refuse to renegotiate with any team he doesn’t want to play for, thereby stopping any trade.  Rodgers will only accept a trade to a contender.  Contenders will not have multiple first round picks to offer, unless they trade away selections in future years.  Would a top team really want to mortgage its future years in advance for a quarterback who will be 39 years old next fall, and stunk in the most recent playoffs?   

The Denver Broncos, who are hiring Green Bay offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett as their head coach, may offer a more realistic example of what the Packers could expect. The Broncos own the ninth pick in the first round of the coming draft. They also have two picks in the second round, and two more in the third. I could see them offering the first rounder and both of the second rounders, plus a player or two, for Rodgers. Anything more than that is probably wishful thinking. I will be ecstatic if Green Bay winds up with multiple first round selections, but I’m not expecting it. 

►  The fact that Matt LaFleur, Brian Gutekunst and Russ Ball are going to do everything they can to bring Rodgers back tells you everything you need to know about Jordan Love. The first round pick in 2020 really hasn’t shown much to get excited about in his very limited opportunities.  They see him in practice every day.  They obviously feel he’s not ready. 

I actually think Love can develop into an adequate NFL starter, but it’s going to take a lot of time, and likely a lot of losing.  He’s not a natural phenom like Mahomes or Burrow.  He’s a project.   It’s going to take a full season or two of starting, seeing defenses, making mistakes and learning from them.  Gutey and LaFleur have to be concerned that their jobs may not survive a couple of four or five win seasons.  So I’m not surprised they appear ready to commit to Rodgers for multiple years. Bringing him back is job security. 

►  Wideouts not named Davante Adams contributed next to nothing in the playoffs against the 49ers.  Whether Adams decides to stay or not, there is once again going to be a drumbeat for the Packers to draft a receiver in the first round.   There are no instant stars like Justin Jefferson or Ja’Marr Chase in this year’s crop.  But there is some exciting talent.  Ohio State’s tandem of Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave are outstanding.  Both of Alabama’s blue chippers, John Metchie and Jameson Williams, will be coming off injuries and may well be there late in the first round.  Southern Cal’s Drake London is high on the list of many draft gurus. 

My personal crush is Purdue’s David Bell.  He’s versatile, physical, acrobatic and catches everything.  Not really a first rounder, but he’d be a steal in the second or third round.   

►  Last weekend’s playoff games were a stark example of the difference between great quarterbacks in their prime, and great quarterbacks past their prime.  Great QB’s in their prime play their best football in the clutch when the game is on the line.  Witness how Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen put their teams on their backs and executed one clutch drive after another.  Matthew Stafford saved his best throw of the game for the final minute when the Rams had to have it.   

Compare that to the way Aaron Rodgers fizzled late against the Niners when the Packers absolutely had to have a few big throws.  Remember the 2011 Super Bowl?  Rodgers, then in his prime, skewered the Steelers with clutch pinpoint passes to lead his team to the Lombardi trophy. 

►  Here’s one thing that should be encouraging to Green Bay fans.  The 49ers are living proof that you don’t have to have a Hall of Fame quarterback to win in the playoffs.  Jimmy Garoppolo had a QB rating of 57.1 against the Packers.  He had no touchdowns, one interception, and should have had another couple picked off.  He was playing hurt, but even when healthy he can hardly be regarded as more than mediocre.  Yet the Niners won with tough defense and a strong running game.  The Packers definitely have the elements to transition to being that sort of team if Aaron Rodgers departs. 

The Titans ascended to the number one seed in the AFC with Ryan Tannehill under center.  The Eagles got to the post season with Jalen Hurts, the Steelers with a washed up Ben Roethlisberger.  There is ample reason for hope.  

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Pretty fair thought. I know some people think fans are overvaluing what the Packers could get for a near 40 old QB who might be getting his 4th NFL MVP.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Pretty fair thought. I know some people think fans are overvaluing what the Packers could get for a near 40 old QB who might be getting his 4th NFL MVP.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I mean, reigning consecutive MVPs. Cha ching.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
2 years ago
I definitely think that a lot of people are overestimating Rodgers value at this point in his career.
Any scout or GM that saw his performance on the field and his demeanor on the sidelines would not think much of him.
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
Everything points to Denver at this point. The question is how does Denver hope to compete in that Division. Mahomes and a fast approaching Herbert are top notch QBs. The guy takes a beating by the media, but Carr is pretty darn good as well. The Broncos are nowhere even close to having a Carr competent QB. I do think there is a huge value for Rodgers to Denver to secure something. A QB is always a gamble, but a known commodity with a new chip on his shoulder to prove the doubters I still think that Denver is in play. I think we find a way to send both Aaron and Davante to Denver and we get picks and one of their young WRs or Fant.
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

I definitely think that a lot of people are overestimating Rodgers value at this point in his career.
Any scout or GM that saw his performance on the field and his demeanor on the sidelines would not think much of him.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I'm not sure about that though. If you're a team that has a good OL, RB and WR weapons with a top ten defense, why wouldn't you throw away some draft picks for an elite QB who has probably 2-3 more top five level years in him? Super Bowls are not easy contrary to what the Patriots results would indicate.
UserPostedImage
2 years ago
Rodgers has all the leverage. If the Packers try to drive to hard of a bargain with a team he wants to go to, such as Denver, then he can simply retire. I believe after one year, he can go wherever he wants without compensation to the Packers.

Because of this, I think the Packers leverage in trade discussions is greatly reduced.
Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
2 years ago
Former Packers front office guy. Knows Gutey, pretty sure. Smart dude.

Andrew Brandt: Packers will trade Rodgers .

"Packers played this tremendously well."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
2 years ago

Former Packers front office guy. Knows Gutey, pretty sure. Smart dude.

Andrew Brandt: Packers will trade Rodgers .

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The statement you wrote is very bold, the statement Brandt made was much softer. Simply that he he thinks Rodgers is traded. Mainly because he doesn't see a team not giving a 1st round pick a chance, stating that even Johnny Manziel got a chance.

Of course, he doesn't mention Johnny Manziel only got a chance because the owner demanded it, and that made Kyle Shanahan resign at the end of the season. Packers don't have an owner that going to overrule the coaches.

We saw how Love did compared to Rodgers. Simply put, Love isn't ready with the talent we currently have.

And Packers comments seem to suggest they're going to have Rodgers and Adams back. But sure let's keep ignoring that.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

The statement you wrote is very bold, the statement Brandt made was much softer. Simply that he he thinks Rodgers is traded. Mainly because he doesn't see a team not giving a 1st round pick a chance, stating that even Johnny Manziel got a chance.

Of course, he doesn't mention Johnny Manziel only got a chance because the owner demanded it, and that made Kyle Shanahan resign at the end of the season. Packers don't have an owner that going to overrule the coaches.

We saw how Love did compared to Rodgers. Simply put, Love isn't ready with the talent we currently have.

And Packers comments seem to suggest they're going to have Rodgers and Adams back. But sure let's keep ignoring that.

Originally Posted by: beast 

What you are ignoring is what Brandt actually said. Aaron has an "out" in his contract for 2023. If we want to get anything for him, now is the time to trade him.

Next year, he walks away scott free, we get no compensation.

nerdmann
2 years ago
What a thoughtful person.

Aaron Rodgers Wants to Do Right by the Green Bay Packers After a Selfish and Self-Centered Year

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.