beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
Short version
Packers trade their 2023 1st round pick for another late 1st round pick this year (never gonna happen, but I like this year's defensive front guys).

1) Edge Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State
1) DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

2) TE Trey McBride, Colorado State
3) ILB JoJo Domann, Nebraska

4) WR Christian Watson, North Dakota State
4) (Comp) CB Mario Goodrich, Clemson

5) NT Noah Elliss, Idaho
6) Traded last year for Cobb

7) (from Texas) WR/KR/PR Velus Jones Jr, Tennessee
7) P Matt Araiza, San Diego State
7) (Comp) LS Jordan Silver, Arkansas

Long version
I used PFF mock draft to make this.

1) Edge Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State
Johnson only played his final year at Florida State as he was trying to get a clear starting role to up his value for the NFL draft, as Georgia was forcing all the pass rushers to rotate. And Johnson did dominant, especially in the run game but also very good at pass rushing with his large 6'5" frame.

1) DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia
Wyatt didn't get as much attention as some others on the DL as he's the small one at 6'3" 315lbs, but of their interior guys he was their best pass rushers.

I just love the idea of getting four great guys on the DL with Gary, Clark, Wyatt and Johnson for long time.

2) TE Trey McBride, Colorado State
McBride went to a small school and their offense struggled but he absolutely dominant as the team schemed the entire offense to go through him, and so defenses tried to stop him and they couldn't as he put up over 1100 yards still, and was a very good blocker as well and very versatile. He might not be an elite athlete, but he can be used in any which way a normal TE can ask and the Packers offense loves versatility.

3) ILB JoJo Domann, Nebraska
PFF lists him as a CB since the role he played his last year was basically that of a slot CB. But he's 230 lbs... whom can cover extremely well. Perviously he was used as a 3-4 Edge Rusher, where he gave great effort but clearly playing out of position. So he's been asked to be a lineman and a DB, and I think someone should finally put him at true LB where O think he'll truely excel.

4) WR Christian Watson, North Dakota State
6'4", 210, was 35% of his offenses passing attack, is expected to run a 40 yard dash faster than Jordy Nelson (4.5) and sounds like his character in the locker room is off the charts good, team guy, willing blockers, wants team wins, not personal stats. But he has the size and speed that Gute likes, also willing blocker and sounds like a true team first guy, while putting up 800 yards, while no one else put up 300 yards by themselves. In the passing game, he was the focal point to stop.

Also on a side note, the Packers drafted his father... 6th round (156th overall) S Tim Watson. Though Tim didn't make the Packers 53 man roster, but stuck around the Chiefs for a couple of years.

4) (Comp) CB Mario Goodrich, Clemson
A good solid physical CB whom shows very good route recognition, who'll need to play in zone coverage, because one on one can beat deep, so he needs help over the top, but very good route recognition underneath and willing to be very physical against the run. With the Packers running a more complex zone, with always having help over the top, he could be a good fit with his ability to read the field. Also some what to move him to Safety.

5) NT Noah Elliss, Idaho
At 6'4" 365 lbs, is not only tough to move but has been moving OLs in the wrong direction... and while you might think it's only Idaho, but he also did it in the East-West Shine Bowl Game which is the best all-star games non-Seniors draft prospects can enter. But he was pushing around some good NFL draft prospects in those practices.

Also should be noted, that Elliss had a ton of Big Football schools offers and was even committed to Mississippi State at one point. But Elliss decided to go to Idaho to play with/for his brother and dad.

Elliss father, Luther, coached the DL at Idaho. Luther Elliss selected in the 1st round (#20 overall) by the Detroit Lions in the 1995 NFL draft, and he'd go on to make two probowls for them, as he got 15 sacks between 1996 and 1997.

6) Traded last year for Cobb

Special Teams

7) (from Texas) WR/KR/PR Velus Jones Jr, Tennessee
Jones a good (not great) returner who's 6', which is very large for a returner but Gute doesn't like small guys. And it's possible he could run a sub 4.4 in the 40 yard dash... so he can potentially be a speed decoy as well, or used for sweeps on offense even if he never fully develops as a receiver.

7) P Matt Araiza, San Diego State
Pat McAfee has talked about how Araiza has a freaking cannon for a leg. Araiza has a ton of hype, but isn't considered the top punting prospect, but the kid has a ton of potential. Also can do kick offs.

Based on some of his interview, Araiza doesn't care some common punting logic with hang time and touchbacks are bad. Example if they're at their own 20 yard line, and he can boot it 80 yards, then why not do it? Even if it's a touch back, it's still a 60 yard punt which is a good thing.

And according to Araiza, when punter screw up most is when they're trying to take a little off the punt, or trying to go for maximum hang time... so an idea of his to screw up less is to not take power off the kick, or go for amazing hang time, just bomb the thing deep.

7) (Comp) LS Jordan Silver, Arkansas
Honestly, I know nothing about him, but he and the Pittsburgh LS seem to be the top top rated LS I'm the draft.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Brian Gutekunst hasn't drafted someone over 22 years old in round one. I don't think that changes this year.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago

Brian Gutekunst hasn't drafted someone over 22 years old in round one. I don't think that changes this year.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Meh, you never seem to like my first round selections 😛
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
I would be very surprised if the first pick isn't an Edge. Unless someone who is ranked really high on their draft board drops I can't see them ignoring the huge hole of possibly losing both Z and Preston.

I also think a TE goes high. Not sure what we do with Tonyan.
beast
  • beast
2 years ago

I would be very surprised if the first pick isn't an Edge. Unless someone who is ranked really high on their draft board drops I can't see them ignoring the huge hole of possibly losing both Z and Preston.

I also think a TE goes high. Not sure what we do with Tonyan.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Well because FAs is before the draft, Gute should know how the OLBers are shaping up, seems like Za'Darius won't be kept based on his current contract, but he either been asked to take a paycut and/or an extension at a lower value (my guess is paycut), which probably Preston and Cobb have been requested to take as well.

As for Tonyan, it depends on what his market is like, but considering the ACL injury, he market might be fairly cold. Of course he's former position coach is now offensive coordinator for the Broncos and the Bears got a former Packers coach as well, so there could be more interested that one would normally expect for him coming off an ACL injury. But the Broncos already got a good number of offensive weapons.

I think Tonyan will sign a cheap one year deal on a team that he thinks he'll know the system. So probably Packers.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Meh, you never seem to like my first round selections :P

Originally Posted by: beast 

Hey, blame Brian G, not me, lol.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
2 years ago

Hey, blame Brian G, not me, lol.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I haven't heard Gute put a limit on it... and more surprised you knew that stat and how old they were, as it took a while to find both of them, so see their ages.

But Gute loves upside potential and position values in the first round.

Position Values
Tier 1: QB
Tier 2: CB, Edge, OT
Tier 3: S, TE

All of Gute first picks have been in the first two tiers and all first round selections in the first 3 tiers.

Which is why I think Gute would be willing to select a large slot WR whom could play a TE like role at times. Which is why I selected the WR from Arkansas in my other mock, as he's played from the slot a lot, and I think he might be the best of both Lazard and MVS mixed together in a heavier body while still keeping the fast speed.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

I haven't heard Gute put a limit on it... and more surprised you knew that stat and how old they were, as it took a while to find both of them, so see their ages.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I didn't say he did. I'm saying he hasn't drafted someone over 22 in first round. I only knew of Wyatt being 23/24. Saw his age Tweeted. And in Madden, I always avoid over 22 as well so it stuck out a bit.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (12h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.