MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

March 7 will go down as one of the most consequential days in recent NFL history, with both Aaron Rodgers re-cementing his commitment to the Green Bay Packers and Russell Wilson moving to the Denver Broncos. These events will cause waves lapping up on the shores of all 32 franchises, which we will do our best to dissect here. This is far more than a Russell Wilson story or a Packers story. What happened on Tuesday was a reflection of modern clout, power and the way the business is trending.

Here is what we saw from our vantage point:

WINNERS
Brian Gutekunst
I’m not sure the Packers, even a few days ago, thought this was going to happen the way that it did. Now that it has, Brian Gutekunst ends up being the person who rescued the franchise’s wayward relationship with perhaps its all-time greatest player. The first-round quarterback he drafted to replace Rodgers served as somewhat effective leverage and they’ll now, because of the dismal draft class, be able to recoup most of the spent draft equity on Jordan Love. I’d personally be surprised if he goes for less than a second-round pick and maybe some kind of incentivized late-round pick. The argument for many would be that Love is better and more seasoned than any of the top prospects coming up this year.

Of course, this all could have blown the other way. Rodgers could have tested the waters elsewhere. He could have burned down the forest behind him. He could have made Gutekunst into the Guy Who Forced Aaron Rodgers Out. Instead, through some strategic patience, the Packers executive has now navigated two situations that, for a less composed individual, might have resulted in utter chaos.

Before this, it was the hiring of Matt LaFleur and the transitioning from a Mike McCarthy locker room full of tenured veterans. There is a reason good franchises find themselves in the playoffs almost every year regardless of massive internal changes.

Aaron Rodgers
While I personally credited Rodgers with brilliantly winning a power struggle, I’m still not entirely sure how he did it, or what ultimately would have been different if he decided to just sign a long-term extension sooner. He ends up boxing out Jordan Love and forcing the former first-round pick to play elsewhere. He probably gets another Randall Cobb-ian signing somewhere along the line. He gets the assurance that his power will go unchecked in Wisconsin for however much longer he decides to play football.

All of this is a wonderful peace of mind. Beating back the idea that a franchise can challenge you at any moment or change their stance on you in the long-term gives you the freedom to end your career the way you would like to end it. You are shielded from some kind of unceremonious dumping and you have probably scared the franchise into not squandering your remaining years like the Patriots did with Tom Brady, or the Lions did throughout the entirety of Matthew Stafford’s career.

Another aspect of this that has gone unnoticed: I don’t think Rodgers is like Tom Brady or Matthew Stafford in that, if he were to go somewhere else, the end product isn’t automatic success. We had the same doubts about Brady, who ultimately proved us wrong. But Rodgers is so incredibly particular. He grooms his coaches, his receivers. He is not as easy to plug and play. This situation avoids what could have been an unsatisfyingly rocky end to a wonderful career.

Jordan Love
At the very least, Jordan Love emerged Tuesday as the best young, unproven option for QB-needy teams heading into draft season. As we mentioned before. Gutekunst has the option to trade him now and could come close to recouping his investment (maybe he gets a mid-second rounder instead of a late first). I think this ends up being the best scenario, and something Green Bay ultimately owes a quarterback who was something of a leverage play for them for so long. If Love gets a fresh start somewhere, he is absolutely a winner here. No one wants to hold a clipboard for the entirety of their rookie deal and then get jettisoned out into the real world with no true market value. While he doesn’t have the ability to rattle the Packers’ front office the way Rodgers did, Rodgers’s flailings certainly create an opening for Love to express some competitive unhappiness about the situation and a desire to seek a trade elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/09/winners-and-losers-nfl-aaron-rodgers-packers-russell-wilson-seahawks-trade-broncos 

All winners.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
It gives me hope for this coming season that I wouldn't have if Rodgers was gone.
It's all speculation as to who "won" or "lost" in all these moves
I do think that the Broncos won, as Wilson is a good QB and could lead them to a championship. And he's younger than Rodgers.he probably has more years left to play.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago

It gives me hope for this coming season that I wouldn't have if Rodgers was gone.
I do think that the Broncos won, as Wilson is a good QB and could lead them to a championship. And he's younger than Rodgers.he probably has more years left to play.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

With all due respect I disagree with both of your thoughts. The Packers could have traded Rodgers to the Broncos for that Draft haul and probably got Juedy and we would have been a better team. Now sitting at $50 million over the cap again means important players will be cut and the team will be weaker. If we traded both Rodgers and Adams we would have tons of high draft picks been well under the cap and would have been able to resign main defensive guys and still contended in the NFC Norris. We have a very weak team and will not stand a chance to compete against any team that comes out of the AFC. And as far as the Broncos I believe the Seahawks got the better end of that deal I can see them be back to a contender in a few years and will stay strong for years to come. The Broncos still won't make the playoffs as they have to get past the Chiefs and Chargers and also the Raiders then get past the steelers or Bengals or Ravens and not to mention the Bills. I think we need to get rid of Gute and Murphy as they don't have the balls to do anything smart for the team, as it looks right now this team should be called the Aaron Rodgers Packers and it's downright embarrassing.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
That's ok Hazer. You are allowed your opinion. Who will end up being right? Time will tell. If I end up being wrong, I'll admit it . I don't know if I end up being right if anyone will admit it.
I guess we will see.
UserPostedImage
Pugger
2 years ago

Yes, Wilson is younger than Rodgers but what makes RW special is his ability to scramble and extend plays. He is going to be 34 this year so you wonder how long he'll be as nimble on his feet as he is today?
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago
Loser: Russ Balls calculator
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Nonstopdrivel
2 years ago
I am extremely skeptical that the Packers will get a second-round pick for Jordan Love, and even if Gutekunst manages to pull that rabbit out of his hat, I think it’s overly generous to describe that as recouping his investment. At best it’s saving some measure of face.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Yes, Wilson is younger than Rodgers but what makes RW special is his ability to scramble and extend plays. He is going to be 34 this year so you wonder how long he'll be as nimble on his feet as he is today?

Originally Posted by: Pugger 

True. Time catches up for everyone. Plus starting at this time in a different offense, it may take more than a season to become good in it. But he is a smart guy, and will pick it up eventually.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: Pugger 

I wonder how Rodgers feels being the 2nd opinion for the Broncos lol. That will hurt his ego that's for sure.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago

True. Time catches up for everyone. Plus starting at this time in a different offense, it may take more than a season to become good in it. But he is a smart guy, and will pick it up eventually.

I honestly think he will be fine but that's going to be one wild division for sure probably end up with all 4 in the playoffs lol except they have to play each other. The Broncos with a great qb with a high passer rating and loaded with a lot of young players on rookie contracts, then the Chargers are spending money and making moves Wilson Maholmes and Carr aren't going to like facing Bosa and Mack chasing after them. People are saying OBJ will be heading to the Chiefs. Then you have Buffalo NE Cinci and Tennessee all to deal with in the AFC and the NFC is all for the Rams taking again. It won't really matter what team goes it will be a dominant blowout for the AFC.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (2h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (2h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (2h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (3h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (3h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (10h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (10h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.