Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Those saying Jordan Love knows the playbook, or that the game plan is not important -- you're basically saying you can expect the same thing from Jordan Love as you can from Aaron Rodgers. The game plan is developed Monday/Tuesday and implemented Wednesday and so on. The game plan was already done when they found out Rodgers would miss the game. That means they had things in the plan that Rodgers can handle, but Love cannot. It was an AFC opponent (less important than NFC in tie-breaker standings) and it was a way to see where Love was at. Love cannot handle the checks, the reads that Rodgers can.

So, let's not act like a game plan for Rodgers can be handled by Love simply because he's practiced before. This was an error by the coaching staff (my opinion), but I am guessing they did it to see where Love was at.

IF they installed a game plan to have more safe throws for Love, more people protecting him, etc ... he probably has a better outing.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

So, let's not act like a game plan for Rodgers can be handled by Love simply because he's practiced before. This was an error by the coaching staff (my opinion), but I am guessing they did it to see where Love was at.

IF they installed a game plan to have more safe throws for Love, more people protecting him, etc ... he probably has a better outing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't think this is just an opinion of yours but a fact since LaFleur said as much after the game.

Packers' LaFleur blames game plan for Love's rough start 

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said his game plan was at fault Sunday after quarterback Jordan Love stumbled through his first career start in a 13-7 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

"This one falls on me, squarely," LaFleur said, per ESPN's Rob Demovsky. "Certainly, for us to be 2-for-12 on third down, obviously didn't have a good enough plan for some of the (cover) zero pressures that they brought on us.

Matt LaFleur: 'This one falls on me squarely' 

"It just comes down to the play calls and having answers to be able to protect against some of that," LaFleur said. "Anytime you go against zero pressure, if you don't make a team pay, they're going to keep running it.

But the Packers knew the Chiefs would come after Love, especially with the home crowd noise making communication difficult, yet they didn't look ready for it.

LaFleur bemoaned calling too many "longer-developing plays" that didn't allow a receiver to break free early. He also wished he'd stuck with the run more, too, with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon averaging 5 yards per carry (combined 99 yards on 20 rushes).

But he was determined to get the Chiefs to back off from loading the line of scrimmage, and his comments indicated he expected the Packers' protection to hold up better. But he didn't really adjust until the fourth quarter, when Love put together a 68-yard drive that unfortunately ended in an interception, and then the 53-yard touchdown drive.

It's not just young QBs that struggle against reading defenses but rookie lineman as well. Take Royce Newman:

Green Bay Packers 2021 Season Review: Interior Offensive Line 

“Just getting experience has been the key, Newman said via SI. “Just every week, learning IDs and different fronts, how to ID that differently. I feel like I’m getting a lot better at that, just kind of seeing the whole picture, just kind of seeing what can all happen. College, the defenses, scheme-wise, are not crazy like this, so just kind of like just IDing everything and getting better at my landmarks and how I need to block a certain combo.”

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
beast
2 years ago

I don't think this is just an opinion of yours but a fact since LaFleur said as much after the game.

Packers' LaFleur blames game plan for Love's rough start 

Matt LaFleur: 'This one falls on me squarely' 

It's not just young QBs that struggle against reading defenses but rookie lineman as well. Take Royce Newman:

Green Bay Packers 2021 Season Review: Interior Offensive Line 

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

True, but what exactly is a coach supposed do? Kick a player while he's down? Let the media and fans dig into him?

Or be a leader, take blame and distract for the horrible play?

Yes they weren't nessarily practicing and planning for all the Cover 0, and that is the offensive coaches fault but the fact of the matter is they clearly plays left on the field by the QB, even when he made the right read, he made a piss poor throw.

LaFleur failed to maximum his guys, but Love failed to make even some the routine stuff happen that you expect from any and all veteran QBs including the 2nd and 3rd string veteran QB.

That's not to damn him, or say it's not all fixable... And I'm good with an incomplete grade, but if we have to give a grade based on what small sample has been provided, it sure isn't going to be a good one.

Also, something to note, some in the past have said Love in year 2, looks better than Rodgers in year 2. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that... but I remember thinking Rodgers extremely sucks his first 2 or 3 years. So maybe that's true...

But just so far the grade should be bad, not saying it won't become a lot better in the future.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Peter makes a good point about Drew Brees. Chargers gave up on him.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

True, but what exactly is a coach supposed do? Kick a player while he's down? Let the media and fans dig into him?

Or be a leader, take blame and distract for the horrible play?

Yes they weren't nessarily practicing and planning for all the Cover 0, and that is the offensive coaches fault but the fact of the matter is they clearly plays left on the field by the QB, even when he made the right read, he made a piss poor throw.

LaFleur failed to maximum his guys, but Love failed to make even some the routine stuff happen that you expect from any and all veteran QBs including the 2nd and 3rd string veteran QB.

That's not to damn him, or say it's not all fixable... And I'm good with an incomplete grade, but if we have to give a grade based on what small sample has been provided, it sure isn't going to be a good one.

Also, something to note, some in the past have said Love in year 2, looks better than Rodgers in year 2. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that... but I remember thinking Rodgers extremely sucks his first 2 or 3 years. So maybe that's true...

But just so far the grade should be bad, not saying it won't become a lot better in the future.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Thank you, Beast. You made the points I tried to make, and I think you stated it better.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Thank you, Beast. You made the points I tried to make, and I think you stated it better.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Dude out played Mahomes on that day. Just sayin.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
2 years ago

Peter makes a good point about Drew Brees. Chargers gave up on him.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Tore his shoulder up playing football on the beach. Jumped on a fumble in the sand iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
2 years ago

Dude out played Mahomes on that day. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Except he didn't play Mahomes...
the Packers defense played Mahomes, while Love played the Chiefs defense.

Just because the Packers defense had a great day, doesn't mean shit for the Packers offense.

Especially when they didn't out play them on the score board...
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
2 years ago
Love's performance last season does not indicate that he is a failure nor did he look like Rodgers in 2007 against the Cowboys. He had some moments though. One thing is that he needs to improve his accuracy and velocity while on the run.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Love's performance last season does not indicate that he is a failure nor did he look like Rodgers in 2007 against the Cowboys. He had some moments though. One thing is that he needs to improve his accuracy and velocity while on the run.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

And Rodgers third season was 2007, he also had the benefit of the QB school (he credits that a lot for his growth) and he had three full offseasons. Love hasn't had that, but I also don't think Love has the arm that Rodgers does (or did early). In fact, I don't think I thought Rodgers could amount to anything until that Cowboys game and then I thought he'd be a guy who wouldn't win you games as much as he wouldn't lose you games. Meaning, he wouldn't be a turnover machine ala Favre, but also wouldn't be risking the bisquit as much either.

As for the other 1st round picks by Gutekunst, I think they've been better than what I'm used to seeing from our 1st round picks. I used to joke Packers should just trade their 1st round pick since they can't get it right anyway, lol.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (18h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (19h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (22h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (22h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.