beast
a year ago
The more I watch, the more I say the Packers coaches need to bench Newman and get Nijman on the field with Jenkins and Bakhtiari.

Okay, I get it, you believe in Bakhtiari and Jenkins as your best OTs, and that's fine... but plug Nijman into OG then...

I don't care if Nijman not the best fit at OG, Newman on the field isn't the best fit either...

Packers could have a truely elite pass blocking OL with Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Nijman, Runyan and Myers.

Yeah, their run blocking might just be slightly above average... but Aaron Jones has been absolutely excellent in making people miss, and when you get Dillon started he's hard to stop.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago
Based on what I read in the article linked below, Jenkins is not moving to Guard. And Yosh will aim to be a swing Tackle.

“I think mostly it’s just him getting out there and feeling comfortable and just going through it. There’s going to be some ups and downs. But one guy I’m not worried about is Elgton. Just the way he prepares every day and his mindset, I think he’s only going to get better every week.”
- OC Adam Stenavich

“Every week, we’re evaluating who’s our best five. Right now, I think Elgton’s the guy for the right tackle job. It’s just going to be this week by week watching him get better and going. But, yeah, there is a discussion of putting Yosh at right tackle. Then again, you’re moving Yosh to a new position and he’s going to go through some growing pains, too. It’s in the discussion, but that’s about all I’m going to say about it.”
- OC Adam Stenavich

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-sticking-with-alpha-jenkins-at-right-tackle 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Who should be the five OL for Packers now that we got Little David back?

Although, this might not be the "best five" individuals, I think it's the best group. And I believe the sum of the parts is more important than the individual parts.

LT - David Bakhtiari
LG - Elgton Jenkins
C - Josh Myers
RG - Jon Runyan Jr
RT - Yosh Nijman

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Little over two weeks later, I'm gonna stick with this. Maybe someone else at RT, but this is the OL.

Consider this. Among starters, only Kirk Cousins has faced a higher percentage of pressure because of his RG than Aaron Rodgers according to ProFootballFocus.
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

Little over two weeks later, I'm gonna stick with this. Maybe someone else at RT, but this is the OL.

Consider this. Among starters, only Kirk Cousins has faced a higher percentage of pressure because of his RG than Aaron Rodgers according to ProFootballFocus.

I got to figure out how to use PFF better to find the cool stats.

But I agree... they need someone better than Newman. And Nijman has (so far) been outplaying Bakhtiari at LT.

So I'm sure Bakhtiari would hate it, but I'd ask him to go to the right side...

LT: Nijman
LG: Runyan
OC: Myers
RG: Jenkins, Bakhtiari or Tom
RT: Jenkins, Bakhtiari or Tom

And just to be clear, Tom played worse than Newman in his one game, but at least maybe there is upside potential, and maybe it'll piss Newman off and he'll play better.

Runyan played better after being benched.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago
Our O-line is terrible. Can't run block, can't pass block.
And Aaron Rodgers can't hit the open guy.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Our O-line is terrible. Can't run block, can't pass block.
And Aaron Rodgers can't hit the open guy.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I've said it a hundred times. We have an All-Pro LT and a LG who was damn good. so we move the LG to RT. Absolutely idiotic. I hate it. This stupid stuff about 'best five' is the azimine. You put the best UNIT of five out there. Coaches trying to outsmart themselves.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

I've said it a hundred times. We have an All-Pro LT and a LG who was damn good. so we move the LG to RT. Absolutely idiotic. I hate it. This stupid stuff about 'best five' is the azimine. You put the best UNIT of five out there. Coaches trying to outsmart themselves.

Jenkins will knock the rust off, get back to being very good. We'll see about Bakh, gotta at least create the impression he still has it, if we're going to trade that contract away.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
all_about_da_packers
a year ago

I read a good rebuttal to this point on Twitter, and I'll share because I thought it might have merit: the Packers clearly don't have confidence that Bakh can go the distance each game, and are assessing on a series-by-series basis.

That means you definitely need Yosh to be the dedicated back-up LT in case he has to step in or rotate with Bakh. Which means, you need a RT who can be committed to that position - which the Packers have chosen as Jenkins. The risk of playing Jenkins at LG (and, presumably, Yosh at RT) is if Bakh is out one series, few series or even an entire game, the cascading changes are: RT (Yosh) is moved to LT, LG (Jenkins) is move to RT, and a new player comes in at LG (or, you move Runyan to LG and have a new player at RG). Either way, that's at least three changes (if not counting moving Runyan to LG) to potentially make if Bakh isn't the LT.

So, the point being made was Jenkins at RT is pretty much out of necessity at least until Bakh can be trusted to play every series, but the Packers won't come out and say that exactly. I too am miffed that Jenkins, when returning from injury, has been shifted to a new position and persistently made to play there when he looks like an average RT at best (and a shell of a potential all-pro player that he was at LG). Maybe thinking there is something forcing Jenkins to be the RT makes me feel better that the coaches aren't clearly missing the obvious because there is a need forcing their hand to play Jenkins at RT. Maybe it also makes me feel better about the growing voice in my mind which keeps suggesting their is a serious disconnect between the Personnel group (Gutey and company) and the coaches.

All of which is to say, at least shift Jenkins back to LG until he knocks the rust off and gets into a rhythm. If the coaches refuse to do it, I am praying it is because of the concern of cascading changes and because Yosh has barely gotten any practice snaps at RT. God help us if the coaches are seeing the game tape and still think Jenkins at RT is fine without anything forcing their hand.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I read a good rebuttal to this point on Twitter, and I'll share because I thought it might have merit: the Packers clearly don't have confidence that Bakh can go the distance each game, and are assessing on a series-by-series basis.

That means you definitely need Yosh to be the dedicated back-up LT in case he has to step in or rotate with Bakh. Which means, you need a RT who can be committed to that position - which the Packers have chosen as Jenkins. The risk of playing Jenkins at LG (and, presumably, Yosh at RT) is if Bakh is out one series, few series or even an entire game, the cascading changes are: RT (Yosh) is moved to LT, LG (Jenkins) is move to RT, and a new player comes in at LG (or, you move Runyan to LG and have a new player at RG). Either way, that's at least three changes (if not counting moving Runyan to LG) to potentially make if Bakh isn't the LT.

So, the point being made was Jenkins at RT is pretty much out of necessity at least until Bakh can be trusted to play every series, but the Packers won't come out and say that exactly. I too am miffed that Jenkins, when returning from injury, has been shifted to a new position and persistently made to play there when he looks like an average RT at best (and a shell of a potential all-pro player that he was at LG). Maybe thinking there is something forcing Jenkins to be the RT makes me feel better that the coaches aren't clearly missing the obvious because there is a need forcing their hand to play Jenkins at RT. Maybe it also makes me feel better about the growing voice in my mind which keeps suggesting their is a serious disconnect between the Personnel group (Gutey and company) and the coaches.

All of which is to say, at least shift Jenkins back to LG until he knocks the rust off and gets into a rhythm. If the coaches refuse to do it, I am praying it is because of the concern of cascading changes and because Yosh has barely gotten any practice snaps at RT. God help us if the coaches are seeing the game tape and still think Jenkins at RT is fine without anything forcing their hand.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

To me, that point makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. If Jenkins goes back home, LG and for whatever reason Bakhtiari flounders at LT, you don't need to shuffle the entire OL. Also, Jenkins was Pro Bowl, not All-Pro, right?

I just think we need R's to stay on R and L's to stay on Left. Anyone every pay attention when players say switching from G to T and T to G isn't that big of a deal RELATIVELY speaking to switching the entire side? I'll use Josh Sitton since some of us know the name. He said he's like wiping your ass with the opposite hand. So we took a guy who played very well on left side, he tears ACL and we put him on the right side. I hated it when people opined about it in the offseason and I loathe it now watching it week in week out. Each position is different and when you just plug and play, you're showing zero respect to the intricacies of each position.

I don't know. I just do not like this constant crap about "best five" because the OL is about the UNIT working together, not the individual parts. You get five average Joe's working together, in unison, that's going to be better than five rogue individual "best 5" trotted out there. We saw it in 2014. They weren't insanely great one by one, but as a unit, they did damn well.
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

Consider yourself lucky.
It was no fun to watch another horrible showing.
It was about as much fun as falling down a flight of stairs

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yes lucky, and horrible doesn't do justice to what happened... in the little I saw, it felt like watching an organized team vs an unorganized group...

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I agree with that they don't fully trust Bakhtiari, either I'm that maybe he's not ready for a full game, or based on PFF grades, Nijman is simply out playing him.

That being said, if Jenkins was at LG and Nijman was at RT, and Bakhtiari went down... one could simply keep the RT in place and move Jenkins to LT, where he actually looked good last season.

I think the real issue is that you got Bakhtiari, Nijman, Jenkins and Runyan, all whom all look good on the left side and struggle more on the right side... but someone has to play the right side...

They seem to believe Runyan is limited to OG and Bakhtiari and Nijman are limited to LT... and Myers at Center.

Based on those limitations/assumptions, there are basically three options (to save space Bakhtiari really means Bakhtiari/Nijman) also note where the hole is, in each one.

Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, RT hole
Or
Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins, RT hole
Or
Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, RG hole, Jenkins

Of the three options, the Packers don't want that RT hole... so they go with the RG hole option.

Now, one could easily argue those assumptions are wrong... and I'm not saying those seemingly coaches assumptions are correct, but based on the coaches actions, it seems those are the assumptions they have made.

One could also argument it should be... Bakhtiari, LG hole, Myers, Runyan, Nijman with Jenkins working at both LT when Bakhtiari isn't in and LG when he is in.... but that moves a ton more lineman to the opposite side they're currently working on.

But I think Runyan is doing well at LG, and Jenkins is the best option at RT, as the options suck... at least until you feel comfortable moving Bakhtiari or Nijman.

But I'd like to see Tom get more opportunities, I mean, I don't think he's ready, but I'm tired of waiting as some of the current starters aren't ready to play either.

So I'm hoping for
Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Tom, Jenkins
or
Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins, Tom
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.