Formo
a year ago
huh
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
dhazer
a year ago

Also- how awesome is it that Rodgers actually told us how this is all going down so we don’t have to waste our time speculating on it all? I love that. 

But yes, telling us he was 90% leaning toward retirement before going into darkness certainly gives the Jets more leverage in trade talks because it leaves them wondering if Aaron will play more than 1 season. Of course Aaron probably doesn’t want the Jets to give up a ton because he would like those draft picks to help their team succeed. 

That being said, let’s get the deal done somehow. For both the respect of Aaron and so we can move on as an organization.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

If you believe him with the 90% towards retirement comment I have lovely beach front property I will sell you in Arizona. He was never retiring his ego won't allow it. He is real good at manipulating his words to try and make it none of his fault and to get you to think the way he wants you to.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a year ago

If you believe him with the 90% towards retirement comment I have lovely beach front property I will sell you in Arizona. He was never retiring his ego won't allow it. He is real good at manipulating his words to try and make it none of his fault and to get you to think the way he wants you to.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Perhaps true. What difference does it make? On the field, he was even better than we could have hoped for, mostly. 

The Packers are moving on, it's time. etc. 

I loved him more than you, Dave, over the years. We can argue about why Green Bay didn't  win more...yada yada yada.

Just know I always listened carefully to your perspective, still do, even though you are mostly wrong, still. 

Love ya, baby! Don't let the bastards get you down, and keep all those firearms and your Make America Better hats safely secured, its a tough world!
go.pack.go.
a year ago

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Whether it was 90% or not, I do believe that he was leaning toward retirement. You think whatever you want though to keep yourself pissed off at him. 
UserPostedImage
a year ago
I am not sure this is the right thread for this in regard to the expected compensation, but regardless I thought it was interesting and the opinions were well thought out (Mr. Cool, if you would move it to the right one if this is not the right spot, I would appreciated it.)

The net of this is they are expecting a second round pick with a sweetener based upon performance.

The 33rd Team website wrote:

Up for Debate: What Will Jets-Packers Trade Package Look Like for Rodgers?

For answers to these questions, we consulted our Joe Banner, Mike Tannenbaum, Jeff Diamond and Rick Spielman – all of whom headed NFL front offices, with Tannenbaum engineering the 2008 Brett Favre trade to the Jets. While their responses differed, all agreed on three points:

1. The deal will get done.

2. Rodgers will be a New York Jet in 2023.

3. A trade will be completed before the April draft.

Anything else? Plenty. Here’s what they had to say:

Ari Meirov: Trade of Aaron Rodgers Sooner than Later Likely Better for Both Sides
Ari Meirov thinks that getting a trade completed by the Packers and Jets of Aaron Rodgers is likely in both teams' best interest to complete sooner rather than later. Compensation is still up in the air, but Ari feels it will not be a 1st-rd pick.

Banner: Packers Have Nothing on Jets
“If I’d guess what the compensation will look like in the end, I think the Jets will probably send a second-round pick to the Packers. But if they took advantage of the leverage I believe they have, they could send something lower and still get him.

“And let me say this: I don’t just believe they have leverage; they do have it.

“The Packers have to pay $60 million in guaranteed money no matter what and have $100 million to write off if Rodgers is with them in Week 1. So, if I’m the Jets, I do nothing but sit — no matter how long it takes to get a deal. A month. Four months. Whatever their best offer is, it’s exactly what they’ll get him for. Because there are no other bidders. Plus, the notion that the Packers will bring him back, pay him $60 million, leave Jordan Love on the bench and impede his development further is crazy. The Packers have nothing that can force the Jets’ hand.

“Now, the Jets can get impatient. That’s certainly their history. They can overpay, which is certainly their history. They probably don’t even realize the leverage they have, which is also their history. That’s why, in the end, I’m predicting that they give up a second-round pick because they don’t want to give up the 13th pick in the draft. But anything after that? They probably feel it’s worth it to get the deal moving.

“Look, the Packers have to move him. The Jets would like to have him. To me, the discussion about leverage ends right there. The Packers can’t bring him back into the building and pay $60 million to a player they don’t want. If all they got back was avoiding a $100 million cap charge and $60 million in cash, that’s actually massive compensation. You can take that $60 million and sign three Pro Bowl players.

“How do I think this ends? My guess is that the Jets surrender a second-round pick in the next couple of weeks. What I think should happen, however, is that they offer something more modest — maybe a fourth-round pick – then sit back and wait for the Packers to say ‘yes’, because how can they say no?”

Green Bay 
Tannenbaum: Leverage Belongs to Green Bay
“I see the Packers having the leverage here. When they did the extension for Rodgers they planned on having him for three years from a cap standpoint. If a deal fell through and he had to come back to them, that’s a position they budgeted for and are prepared to take on. So, let’s say that happens. They at least have a good young quarterback behind an aging legend, and that’s a pretty good worst-case scenario.

“They made that decision a year ago when they gave Rodgers the extension, and the extension was done with the intent that he will play. Now, I agree that $59.5 million is a lot, but they planned for that in their budget, both with the cash and the cap.

“As for the Jets, they don’t have an alternative. They have a new offensive coordinator in Nathaniel Hackett. But when the offseason program begins, if they have to go out there with Zach Wilson as their starter, everyone will know it’s a waste of time. That’s why I say the leverage is with Green Bay.

“So, what is a fair deal? I’d say a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2024 that could go to a first if Rodgers plays 60 percent of the snaps this year and the Jets go to the playoffs. Do I think it gets done? For sure, and I think the draft creates the deadline. It’s in the best interest of both sides, and the Jets have no leverage.”

Diamond: Include 2024 First-Rounder in Deal
“The Packers have all the leverage in compensation negotiations after Rodgers said he intends to play in New York. Green Bay has Jordan Love in place while the Jets have seen the free-agent quarterback market basically dry up with Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo and even Baker Mayfield signing elsewhere.

“Green Bay also is in the odd position of having a better salary-cap situation with Rodgers on the roster (at a $31.6 million cap number) than after they trade him and incur a $40 million dead-money charge, unless they do it after June 1 when they can split the dead-money cost over two years. The latter scenario seems unlikely since the Packers will want pick compensation in next month’s draft and the Jets will want Rodgers in their facility when OTAs begin in May. So it makes sense for both teams to get this trade finalized soon, and certainly before the April 27-29 draft.

“The Packers are likely seeking compensation from the Jets similar to what the Detroit Lions received from the Los Angeles Rams for Matthew Stafford (QB Jared Goff, two first-round picks, and a third-rounder) and what the Seahawks got from the Denver Broncos for Russell Wilson (QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, DL Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-rounders and a fifth-round selection). The Jets would argue Rodgers is six years older at 39 than Stafford and Wilson were when they were traded. And the Jets are not sure Rodgers will play until age 45 as Tom Brady did, even as the Packers point out that Brady won a Super Bowl at 43.

“In the end, compromise will be needed. I think the final compensation will look something like this: the Jets’ second- and fourth-round picks this year (Nos. 43 and 112) and their first-round pick in 2024, which New York no doubt will hope lands in the high 20s after Rodgers leads them to the playoffs.”

Rick Spielman: The Packers Hold the Leverage in Trade with Jets for Aaron Rodgers
Rick Spielman thinks that the Packers hold the leverage in a trade with the Jets for Aaron Rodgers. He thinks that the moves the Jets have made and the news that has come out would crush the Jets if they were unable to complete the deal.

Spielman: Cap Relief Has Real Value
“Green Bay has the leverage now because the Jets have to get something done. They got their fan base riled up. And, really, what other options do they have? There’s no other significant quarterback out there, and Mike White left for Miami. If they don’t get Rodgers, that’s going to put a lot of pressure on the Jets – especially since it seems they’ve put all their eggs in one basket.

“Rodgers wants to go to the Jets, and Green Bay has control over the contract. They can push it out until after June 1, and then try to force the Jets into compensation that might not be worthy. It all depends on how antsy the Jets are to get a trade done quickly.

“Now, what is fair compensation? Because of the size of the contract – and I don’t know if Rodgers would be willing to re-work his deal – the larger the financial piece the Jets have to take on, the lower the draft pick should be. So, for example, if the Packers are going to pay for half the contract, maybe that’s a third-rounder that goes to a second. If the Packers aren’t going to pay for any of the contract, I’d probably give them a Day 3 pick, no higher than a fourth-rounder.

“Remember, you’re also giving Green Bay a lot of cash and cap relief by taking on that contract. That has to be worth less in draft compensation. You’re talking about a 39-year-old quarterback — yes, a future Hall of Famer — but he didn’t have a great season last year. How much the Jets assume of his contract will determine where the compensation goes.

“I would hope this gets done in the next two weeks for one reason: How active can the Jets be if they’re trying to budget Rodgers’ contract into the overall structure? It could prevent them from doing some things in free agency.”

Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
a year ago
Looks like the Jets are trying to get leverage 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
a year ago
we are probably over-playing our weak hand.

The Jets could trade for plenty of guys for one year.
Go Packers!!!!
earthquake
a year ago

Looks like the Jets are trying to get leverage 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Did you read this article? The gist of it is that the Rams would have been happy if (note: past tense) a team like the Jets had offered to trade for Stafford. It didn't happen, and the Rams paid Stafford a bunch of money and are stuck with him now. Stafford's situation was similar to Rodgers' ($57m due) except the payment was already triggered.

The FA QB market has all but dried up. So the Jets can play Zach White, sign a Teddy Bridgewater or Carson Wents, trade for Rodgers, or try to move up in the draft for a QB. They could also hope and pray that one falls to them at 13, I suppose.
blank
nerdmann
a year ago

Did you read this article? The gist of it is that the Rams would have been happy if (note: past tense) a team like the Jets had offered to trade for Stafford. It didn't happen, and the Rams paid Stafford a bunch of money and are stuck with him now. Stafford's situation was similar to Rodgers' ($57m due) except the payment was already triggered.

The FA QB market has all but dried up. So the Jets can play Zach White, sign a Teddy Bridgewater or Carson Wents, trade for Rodgers, or try to move up in the draft for a QB. They could also hope and pray that one falls to them at 13, I suppose.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Whew cool. My mind may not have been untra clear at that time. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Pugger
a year ago

Whether it was 90% or not, I do believe that he was leaning toward retirement. You think whatever you want though to keep yourself pissed off at him. 

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

And him saying so on that podcast might be causing NY to not be eager to give us a 1st seeing there is a good chance he'll call it a career after this season.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders