a year ago
Freddy Boston wrote:

Aaron Rodgers will almost certainly play for the New York Jets this season. When will a trade between the Green Bay Packers and New York Jets be agreed? That’s another question altogether.
Will the Jets include their first-round pick?
That has been one of the main topics among fans of both teams this week.
Well, ESPN’s Rich Cimini came up with a potential solution.
“There’s also the thought that the Packers, in lieu of a first-round pick, could ask for a player who was once graded highly on their draft board,” wrote Cimini.
He then used second-year edge rusher Jermaine Johnson as an example.
It’s an interesting idea, no doubt, and could possibly work for both teams. The Jets don’t have to give up a first-round pick this year, but the Packers do get a first-round talent.
New York selected Johnson with the 26th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft.
Johnson was part of the Jets’ pass-rush rotation as a rookie, mostly playing a backup role. But it was an encouraging rookie year for Johnson, who made 2.5 sacks, five quarterback hits, three tackles for loss, and a safety.
He showed a lot of potential in year one and has the talent to become an excellent starter.
The Packers need more pass-rush depth, and Johnson could be a perfect complement to Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, and Kingsley Enagbare. It would take the pressure off drafting a pass rusher early, although the Packers could still add more depth on Day 2 or 3.
Johnson was one of the top prospects in last year’s draft.
He was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team All-ACC in 2021 after making 11.5 sacks and 17.5 tackles for loss at Florida State.
“Johnson has good size, athleticism, technique, and functional strength while playing the game with tremendous urgency and features a high football IQ,” wrote The Draft Network’s Joe Marino prior to the 2022 NFL Draft.
Johnson ranked ninth in Daniel Jeremiah’s Top 50 prospect rankings for NFL.com.
After entering the draft as one of the best defensive prospects in the class, Johnson put together a promising rookie season.
If the Jets aren’t willing to give up the 13th overall pick in this year’s draft but would consider including Johnson in a trade for Aaron Rodgers, the Packers should make it happen.

i thought this was an interesting idea
Go Packers!!!!
go.pack.go.
a year ago

Freddy Boston wrote:i thought this was an interesting idea

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I think I would be open to that idea. But I would also want a conditional draft pick next year. Probably a 3rd than can become a 2nd or 1st depending on Rodgers performance. 
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
a year ago

I think I would be open to that idea. But I would also want a conditional draft pick next year. Probably a 3rd than can become a 2nd or 1st depending on Rodgers performance. 

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

For a pass rusher like this? Fuck it man, I'd just do it straight up. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
a year ago
I have a question… If we were to trade for a former first round pick before his rookie contract ends, would we still be able to exercise the extra year option or does that expire when a first round pick is traded?
Go Packers!!!!
buckeyepackfan
a year ago

I have a question… If we were to trade for a former first round pick before his rookie contract ends, would we still be able to exercise the extra year option or does that expire when a first round pick is traded?

Usually the contract goes with the player, say if The Packers would trade Jordan Love before May 1st, the team receiving him would have to decide on the 5th year option, before The May 1st deadline.

The Packers decide to pick up Loves 5th year option, then get a trade offer, the team making the offer is on the hook for that 5th year option.

Pretty sure that us how it goes.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
a year ago

The option goes with the contract... so if traded, the new team cba still use it (assuming it wasn't previously declined for a player going into his last year)

​​​
UserPostedImage
a year ago

The option goes with the contract... so if traded, the new team cba still use it (assuming it wasn't previously declined for a player going into his last year)​​​

Originally Posted by: beast 

Thanks!!!  

If we would get a semi-proven commodity who is first rounder (per above) why not?
Go Packers!!!!
dhazer
a year ago

Perhaps true. What difference does it make? On the field, he was even better than we could have hoped for, mostly. 

The Packers are moving on, it's time. etc. 

I loved him more than you, Dave, over the years. We can argue about why Green Bay didn't  win more...yada yada yada.

Just know I always listened carefully to your perspective, still do, even though you are mostly wrong, still. 

Love ya, baby! Don't let the bastards get you down, and keep all those firearms and your Make America Better hats safely secured, its a tough world!

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Well I am going to be sad as it has been 17years of having something to bitch about and with Rodgers gone who am I going to do it about lol. First Ted Thompson was gone and now Rodgers my life is over lol.
But seriously people the Packers hold all the cards. The Jets have already shown they are all in on Rodgers as they flew out to see him and didn't make any attempts at any other QB. They have signed Lazard to appease Mr Rodgers and not to make the room better. They could of used that money to go after an OT in free agency but they didn't they went for Rodgers wish list. Now what about the Packers and why I say they hold all the cards. First he is under contract to the Packers, and the main reason the Packers hold the ace of spades. He is cheaper to have on the team right now than he is to trade him. We have until the 1st game of the season before his bonus has to be paid. If they don't want to give up that 1st rounder than we hold out and go after the pick for next year but we don't send Rodgers till after their camps are done so he can't practice with them.  They will want him in camp to get used to the receivers and he will be there because he will basically be the coach with Hackett in charge of the offense.

So who is more desperate to get the deal done ? I have to say everything points to the Jets needing this done as they have their fan base all pumped up (they will change after he does his usual collapse in big games) and they need him in camp, the Packers can just wait and not lose anything.

BTW Dave I have plenty of pew pews, ammo and hats lol
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
a year ago

...First he is under contract to the Packers, and the main reason the Packers hold the ace of spades. He is cheaper to have on the team right now than he is to trade him. We have until the 1st game of the season before his bonus has to be paid. If they don't want to give up that 1st rounder than we hold out and go after the pick for next year but we don't send Rodgers till after their camps are done so he can't practice with them.  They will want him in camp to get used to the receivers and he will be there because he will basically be the coach with Hackett in charge of the offense.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

If the trade is not consummated before the draft, then we don't get a first rounder before the draft.  So then if a trade is completed after the draft and if we got the Jets number 1 pick in 2024, the value of that 1st rounder will likely be lower.

If we hold him until after camp, he could simply retire or show back up.  If he retires, aren't we on the hook for alot of money and dead cap? If he is not in Jets' camp, he is worth less to them....and them may just tell him to retire, then un-retire next year.  

Perhaps I don't understand Rodgers options in the retire/un-retire scenario, but it would seem a very expensive option in the Jets come up with a plan B and he shows up for the money.

ADDITIONAL RANDOM THOUGHT
Is it possible that they have the compensation worked out but simply aren't going to execute the trade simply to mess with the other teams in the league in regard to draft scenarios
Go Packers!!!!
earthquake
a year ago
Yeah, I think the draft is the real deadline for both teams. The Packers want the Jets' #1 pick this year, if they can get it, for the reasons Martha mentions. If a deal isn't completed by the draft, the likelihood that the Jets say "screw it" and trade up or hope a QB falls to 13 rises exponentially. And then the Packers (presumably) have no trade market for Rodgers. And then things could get ugly.

Now, I don't think the Jets really have much leverage in this scenario. I mean, they have telegraphed their intentions and it will seem like a massive failure in NY if they do not land Rodgers. So I think they, especially their owner, will be very motivated to make it work before the draft. They have just enough leverage to play chicken. We'll see who blinks first.

Both teams have pressing reasons to make the trade happen too. So they can be certain about their cap situation and continue with the normal business of signing free agents and extending core players. Clearly, this isn't enough motivation for immediate action, but I do think it is a factor.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.