Zero2Cool
a year ago
I've read a lot about how Jets have all the leverage. Rodgers has all the leverage. Packers have all the leverage. Okay, let's settle this! (🀣, nothing being settled here) 

Rodgers Leverage
Rodgers really has no leverage other than the threat of retiring or showing up to training camp. People act like showing up to camp is some major thing that's gonna force the Packers hand. Pretty sure the franchise can send a player home if they become a distraction. Sure, the media will be around, but if you can't handle the extra media, then maybe you should retire.Β 

As for Packers or Jets. Neither one of them has all the leverage. In negotiations, when one side has all the leverage, a deal USUALLY gets done for that very reason. One side knows it's bent over and takes what it can get and moves on.

Packers Leverage
The Packers aren't owed to pay Rodgers his bonus until week one of the season, so they really have no immediate urgency on the cash front. If the Packers trade Rodgers, they take on an extra ~$9 million cap hit. Meaning, Rodgers right now is like $31 million cap hit, and once traded he'll be $40 million cap hit. The Packers believe they have their future QB.Β  Some have said Mark Murphy's comments cost the Packers some leverage and maybe they're right and maybe that's why he's now "sworn to secrecy" on the subject?

Jets Leverage
The Jets likely want Aaron Rodgers in their building sooner than later. My guess is if they can get him officially before minicamp, they'll be just fine. Rodgers would probably be OK missing everything up to training camp (he did win back to back MVP's while missing chunks of the off-season). Jets have a pretty decent roster minus QB and there really aren't many other QB's out there and the Jets have shot their wad all over everyone's face about wanting Rodgers.Β 

Something I've pondered out loud. There was a lot of chatter that Rodgers was going to retire and then it was said no one walks from $60 million (ahh, Dave Chappelle anyone?). We all noticed Rodgers embracing Cobb out of the tunnel during that final game, right? What if the Packers got the same sense of retirement and granted Jets permission to keep him in playing so they could get compensation and maybe some cash (not cap) relief? I know, I know, put my tin foil hat back on the ground! haha

What says you? Where am I wrong? Where am I right? What are your thoughts?
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago
Whom are you saying has the leverage?

I agree with the idea that everyone when nuts with talking about leverage and going to the extremes.

Where I feel like as far as leverage goes they're tied together, as it takes two to tango, and there are only two on the dance floor... QBs need an elite QB, no other elite QB is currently available, Packers need to get rid of elite QB contract... they need each other and they're both screwed if they don't work together.

I think the Packers are a bit more screwed if still holding Rodgers contract, but they can always do a last minute trade to another team for a low ball offer just to get rid of the contract.

But mostlyΒ I think it's more about deadlines.

What is the Jets deadline for the trade to happen? Whenever they need Rodgers in the building working with others, so mini camp or training camp.

What is the Packers deadline? Well, if they want draft picks for the 2023 draft, then the draft is their deadline.

So I think the Jets have slightly more leverage because the Packers deadline is sooner, but again, it takes two to tango, they're in this together, unless either can find another team to tango with.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago
I believe all the leverage belongs to the Packers. The Packers have restructured contracts to give them plenty of capspace to eat Rodgers $60 million hit if they have to. As was stated numerous times that the sports writers refuse to look at is that right now it is cheaper for the Packers to have Rodgers under contract than not. As Kevin said above his cap hit is $31 million right now and if he is traded we have a cap hit of $40 million so it costs us $9 million to get rid of him. Also the bonus doesn't have to be paid till week one of the season so whats the rush? It would be nice to get the Jets picks this year but we won't die without them, and if we wait till June 1st than we get to split the bonus cap hit into the following 2 years which would free up around $23 million this year. And if we wait we demand 2 1sts than seeing we won't receive any compensation this year. And honestly do you think the Jets will be any better? Has anyone looked at their schedule they have both Super Bowl teams plus the AFC East teams, also included are Giants Cowboys, Redskins and Chargers and Raiders. I don't see them making it to 500 so the picks should be pretty good.

Now Rodgers leverage is simple he has none against the Packers. He retires or he tries to come to the team and the Packers send him home like the Raiders with Carr. We all know he will not retire and it's not even the money it's the fact he would be the opening act for Tom Brady at the HOF ceremony.

The Jets have no leverage at all either as they have gone all in already by sending everyone they could fit on the plane to go and kiss Rodgers ass. They have signed guys to make him happy and they got their fanbase all riled up about Rodgers. They back away from the trade and the fanbase will go crazy and they run with Zack Wilson and waste another year of rookie contracts.

So like I said I see the Packers holding all the cards and the Jets are in a no win situation. After the Moore trade I think the Packers get a 1st and 2ndΒ  and we all move on.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be πŸ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

I believe all the leverage belongs to the Packers. The Packers have restructured contracts to give them plenty of capspace to eat Rodgers $60 million hit if they have to. As was stated numerous times that the sports writers refuse to look at is that right now it is cheaper for the Packers to have Rodgers under contract than not. As Kevin said above his cap hit is $31 million right now and if he is traded we have a cap hit of $40 million so it costs us $9 million to get rid of him. Also the bonus doesn't have to be paid till week one of the season so whats the rush? It would be nice to get the Jets picks this year but we won't die without them, and if we wait till June 1st than we get to split the bonus cap hit into the following 2 years which would free up around $23 million this year. And if we wait we demand 2 1sts than seeing we won't receive any compensation this year. And honestly do you think the Jets will be any better? Has anyone looked at their schedule they have both Super Bowl teams plus the AFC East teams, also included are Giants Cowboys, Redskins and Chargers and Raiders. I don't see them making it to 500 so the picks should be pretty good.

Now Rodgers leverage is simple he has none against the Packers. He retires or he tries to come to the team and the Packers send him home like the Raiders with Carr. We all know he will not retire and it's not even the money it's the fact he would be the opening act for Tom Brady at the HOF ceremony.

The Jets have no leverage at all either as they have gone all in already by sending everyone they could fit on the plane to go and kiss Rodgers ass. They have signed guys to make him happy and they got their fanbase all riled up about Rodgers. They back away from the trade and the fanbase will go crazy and they run with Zack Wilson and waste another year of rookie contracts.

So like I said I see the Packers holding all the cards and the Jets are in a no win situation. After the Moore trade I think the Packers get a 1st and 2ndΒ  and we all move on.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

The June 1st thing is stupid and pointless... people keep talking about freeing up money this year, but why free up the money this year when they aren't going to spend it this year? Packers are clearly just saving money for the future right now.

And fans being upset does not give anyone leverage as teams can ignore fans, see Commanders fans being pissed for a decade gives no leverage in getting Dan Synder out of there...

This is basically yin and yang.

If Jets want Rodgers, they have to work with the Packers, and if the Packers want the most for Rodgers, it seems like they're going to have to work with the Jets.

Neither has more leverage as they're both stuck in non-ideal spots without the other.
Β 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago
If we examine the financial side of things. It behooves the Packers to trade Rodgers after June 1st.

Cut Pre-June 1st β†’Β $99,778,570Β β†’Β ($68,155,000)
Cut Post-June 1stΒ β†’ $75,298,570Β β†’Β ($43,675,000)
Trade Pre-June 1st β†’Β $40,313,570Β β†’Β ($8,690,000)
Trade Post-June 1stΒ β†’ $15,833,570Β β†’ $15,790,000

Regarding salary cap, that's about $23 million swing in favor of the Packers by waiting until June 1st to trade Rodgers.
Β 
UserPostedImage
dhazer
a year ago

If we examine the financial side of things. It behooves the Packers to trade Rodgers after June 1st.

Cut Pre-June 1st β†’Β $99,778,570Β β†’Β ($68,155,000)
Cut Post-June 1stΒ β†’ $75,298,570Β β†’Β ($43,675,000)
Trade Pre-June 1st β†’Β $40,313,570Β β†’Β ($8,690,000)
Trade Post-June 1stΒ β†’ $15,833,570Β β†’ $15,790,000

Regarding salary cap, that's about $23 million swing in favor of the Packers by waiting until June 1st to trade Rodgers.
Β 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Good layout to exactly what I said up there with freeing up $23 million this year πŸ˜‰
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be πŸ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Good layout to exactly what I said up there with freeing up $23 million this year ;)

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

No, not really, because you have some erroneous information in your spiel. I went with cold hard facts baby!!! You also blended cash and cap hit as one, when they are in fact different. πŸ˜‰
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago
Is there any reason to kick the cap space to this year, if we're not planning on using any of it this year?

​​​​​​
​​​​​​THe way we're currently spending in FA, we're just going to kick it back to next year anyways...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Is there any reason to kick the cap space to this year, if we're not planning on using any of it this year?
​​​​​​
​​​​​​THe way we're currently spending in FA, we're just going to kick it back to next year anyways...

Originally Posted by: beast 

If you're talking about Aaron Rodgers cap space, it's not going to be kicked back regardless of post or pre June 1.Β  And to answer your question, because the team can use the space this year for extensions on expiring contracts like Rashan Gary, AJ Dillon, Yosh Nijman or maybe they use the 2024 cap space to fill some holes via free agency?

Maybe my brain is fried and I'm not comprehending things. So, I'm gonna post this here and revisit tomorrow. But this is my thinking/understanding -- trading after June 1st is huge win for Packers salary cap.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

And to answer your question, because the team can use the space this year for extensions on expiring contracts like Rashan Gary, AJ Dillon, Yosh Nijman or maybe they use the 2024 cap space to fill some holes via free agency?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Your actually using more 2024 cap space if you trade him after June 1st, so 2024 free agents would be a bad reason to wait to June 1st.

As far as extensions, they usually take up the least amount of cap space in their first year as the signing bonus is usually their 1st year pay, but the signing bonus gets spread over multiple years of the contract.

So they most likely can give those extensions either way.
​​​​​​
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? πŸ₯Ί I think that means you missed more than half of them 😒
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead πŸ€ͺ
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.